Can we stop the Jay Wright as our next coach now? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Can we stop the Jay Wright as our next coach now?

Sorry to say,but Dixon,

Sad to say, but Wright,Dixon, and Calhoun own the Cuse! How can you "Knock" Wright ?

I don't really see how you can say any of them "own the Cuse" anymore.

if Miller ever leaves Arizona, it won't be his choice and his next job will be a step or two down the prestige ladder

I don't think we can use the Dome as a selling point for the next coach. By the time JB leaves it will be nearing 40 years old.
The face lift is coming.

Sorry to say,but Dixon,

Sad to say, but Wright,Dixon, and Calhoun own the Cuse! How can you "Knock" Wright ?
Calhoun was 28-28 against syracuse. That is owning the Cuse? Jay has a winning record but he doesn't own us. I think we knocked them out of the Big East tournament 4 straight times at the end of Calhouns era. Calhoun broke it by winning in ot in '11

You would take Hurley over Hop?
Didn't say that. The answer is no, if only for honoring passed agreements with Hop. He's been faithful, SU should be to. BUT if the administration or new AD decides to look outside, then Hurley would be my current favorite.

To be fair to Wright, IMO Nova was an incredibly weak 1 seed. I know they won a lot of games but everytime I watched them I came away unimpressed. Just not a super-talented team imo.
Why be fair to Wright. He put the team together and they lost only 2 games all year. If they did not get a #1, there would have been a lot of moaning and groaning and some of it would be from him. And if they were a #2 they probably would have had Virginia's spot and would be facing Mich St and most likely lose that one!

Wrights record against Syracuse has leveled out the past couple years. People hate on us for flaming out early, but that's a myth. Jb's worst round is the Sweet 16. We regularly get past the first weekend with some exceptions such as last year and 11. Wright hasn't been past the first weekend since 09, my point was if that happened here we would want JB to retire. I don't think Villanovas system is any better than Pittsburgh, yet most people think Wright is a better coach than Dixon and the only reason I think people think that is because Villanova plays an aesthetically pleasing version of basketball which has proven good regular season success, but no postseason success due to lack of size and toughness.

Remember five years ago when people claimed Wright was a better coach than JB? I wonder if those people still have the same opinion.

Didn't say that. The answer is no, if only for honoring passed agreements with Hop. He's been faithful, SU should be to. BUT if the administration or new AD decides to look outside, then Hurley would be my current favorite.
Because he had a good season at Buffalo? He hasn't proven that he can recruit at our level. And while he has head coaching experience, it isn't experience that would make me get excited. No thanks. And he might end of being a heck of a coach but if it isn't Hop, I want someone with success at a high level.

I would like to see coach Hop get a good chance. If not Hop what do people think of giving GMac the reigns. How old was JB when he started?

CusefanATL said:
No one is leaving Arizona for Syracuse. More money, similar tradition

I'm not sure why people think we'll be paying less than other similar teams.

The only person who is qualified to judge Hop is JB. I'm with him.

It's fun to think about these other guys - but Hop is our next coach and he'll be great.

the 4 guard offense isn't made for deep tourney runs
And while on that note, after McCullough went down (debately even before then), we were not far from that model. I loved Rak and he was a beast, but the monsters on the lines of some of these teams impress me. NC St, they ate us up this year and last inside and look at them now.

I would like to see coach Hop get a good chance. If not Hop what do people think of giving GMac the reigns. How old was JB when he started?

Absolutely not!! This isn't 1976 anymore, you don't give a completely unproven young guy the job. Why would you even consider placing the program in GMac's hands?

Because SU pays their coaches less (with the notable exception of women's lax).

We're one of the most profitable basketball programs in the country. Top 5. If we don't pay commensurate compensation with our next coach we'll be cheap, not cash strapped.

We're one of the most profitable basketball programs in the country. Top 5. If we don't pay commensurate compensation with our next coach we'll be cheap, not cash strapped.
No "will be" involved.

SU has a history of being tight with a buck.

I'd rather not hire someone over 50 unless they're guaranteed to be amazing i.e. Pitino caliber or something like that.
He'd be hard to get out of Wichita I think anyway

longtimefan said:
No "will be" involved. SU has a history of being tight with a buck.

I'll remind everyone that some of the state schools pay coaches partially with state money while some schools who give out these mega contracts have some of it paid by a booster or boosters.

I'll remind everyone that some of the state schools pay coaches partially with state money while some schools who give out these mega contracts have some of it paid by a booster or boosters.
True. But the bottom line is the bottom line.

As has been stated many times over the years, JB has given the hometown discount to SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom