Can you be a good defensive player w/o making defensive plays? | Syracusefan.com

Can you be a good defensive player w/o making defensive plays?

fascinating look at Steve Novak's defense by Henry Abbott

turns out that, while Novak is not a great defender, he is good enough in certain areas and the Knicks have found a way to use that in their schemes, and as a result he has an elite defensive statistical rating

The best defense doesn't result in a quantifiable stat, much less ending up on a highlight reel. Denying a pass. Forcing a bad shot. Denying a cut. Going over the top of a screen. Hustling back on transition. Things like that.

fascinating look at Steve Novak's defense by Henry Abbott

turns out that, while Novak is not a great defender, he is good enough in certain areas and the Knicks have found a way to use that in their schemes, and as a result he has an elite defensive statistical rating

Really good read, thanks...and to relate it to our very own Syracuse Basketball Orange and some of the reason I think the zone is effective sometimes is less of how well we are or are not playing it and more...

"Basically, what the video shows is player after player with an almost visible thought bubble over their heads: HOLY COW I HAVE STEVE NOVAK ON ME AND HE'S HORRIBLE. TIME TO FIRE AWAY."

You can easily turn that into this:
"HOLY COW I'M WIDE OPEN FOR 3 IN THIS ZONE! TIME TO FIRE AWAY."