Can you believe this team went to the Final Four? | Syracusefan.com

Can you believe this team went to the Final Four?

cto

Administrator
Look at the roster and at the statistics. A 14-loss season, 9th place in the ACC, 253rd in the country in scoring and (except for one crazy game in the Elite Eight) no marquee player.

It looks kind of like this year's team -- once you subtract the four wins from the NCAA tourney.

Maybe it proves miracles can happen

Last edited:
Look at the roster and at the statistics. A 14-loss season, 9th place in the ACC, 253rd in the country in scoring and (except for one crazy game in the Elite Eight) no marquee player.

Had 4 guys that shot between 35-40% from 3 and were 30th in PPG allowed. Decent recipe to get hot and go on a run in single elimination.

This year we had 1 guy in that range and were 174th in PPG allowed. Not such a good recipe.

That was a fun run, and felt like we were playing with the house's money the entire time after squeaking into the tournament. The win over Gonzaga in the Sweet 16 was awesome too. It often gets overshadowed by UVA, but beating a team with a guy like Sabonis on it was no small feat.

Just takes getting hot at the right time. Throw in a defense that many teams use but can't execute and it is a recipe for disaster for the opponent.

That was a fun run, and felt like we were playing with the house's money the entire time after squeaking into the tournament. The win over Gonzaga in the Sweet 16 was awesome too. It often gets overshadowed by UVA, but beating a team with a guy like Sabonis on it was no small feat.
Was in the United Center that night for the Gonzaga game- totally agree that it gets overlooked by Virginia. Great comeback in its own right and incredibly exciting game. I still remember that official calling Cooney out of bounds from half court and thinking "if we lose this game on that $%&!ing call"...

Was in the United Center that night for the Gonzaga game- totally agree that it gets overlooked by Virginia. Great comeback in its own right and incredibly exciting game. I still remember that official calling Cooney out of bounds from half court and thinking "if we lose this game on that $%&!ing call"...
The worst call that did NOT cost us the game in my years of watching cuse. Couldn’t of been a bigger call and it was unbelievably obvious. Wow that call would’ve never been forgotten if they hit a shot to win it.

The worst call that did NOT cost us the game in my years of watching cuse. Couldn’t of been a bigger call and it was unbelievably obvious. Wow that call would’ve never been forgotten if they hit a shot to win it.

it had all the makings of another shafting we took to exit us from the tournament, of which there is a rich heritage. 2012 OSU (Dion fouls out for the only time in his career in 20 minutes, JSouth fouled out in 11 minutes! lol), 2010 Butler (the suplex), 2013 Michigan (Triche), 2011 Marquette ( fantasy over and back).

it had all the makings of another shafting we took to exit us from the tournament, of which there is a rich heritage. 2012 OSU (Dion fouls out for the only time in his career in like 12 minutes lol), 2010 Butler (the suplex), 2013 Michigan (Triche), 2011 Marquette ( fantasy over and back).
I remember them all well. I was actually at all those games in person. The "over and back" call on Scoop against Marquette was the absolute worst. Didn't the NCAA sort of apologize for it?

Last edited:
I remember them all well. I was actually at all those games in person. Scoop against Marquette was the absolute worst. Didn't the NCAA sort of apologize for it?

don’t know, but I have a recollection of you saying those refs were at the same eatery you were at later night. I might have that wrong but I have a memory of reading a post you made about something along those lines.

It looks kind of like this year's team -- once you subtract the four wins from the NCAA tourney)

I feel like it was always there. The team just kind of lost itself after making it clear how good they could be in the Battle for Atlantis. Luckily they started to find themselves again with some big wins. It was such a weird year too. The pre season tourney success was vintage SU hoops and then all the sudden we looked like what we see a lot of the past four years. That team just happened to be enough of the good ole Cuse to make a run.

don’t know, but I have a recollection of you saying those refs were at the same eatery you were at later night. I might have that wrong but I have a memory of reading a post you made about something along those lines.
Yes. True. And I embarrassed my friends by berating them. And they had no response to me. They knew they were guilty.

It had 3 NBA draft picks.

Yeah.

G had to learn PG on the fly and Lydon and Mal being freshmen is why we weren’t great regular season. Guys logged heavy minutes we couldn’t have made that run if we had played 4 games in 4 days in the ACCT.

Shame BJ didn’t stick around one more legit perimeter player would have really helped.

Wonder how we do if we made it to Villanova. I think the Gonzaga and UVA teams we beat were better than people think and head to head could beat UVA/Zags teams since that have gone further.

Was a Boeheim coaching masterpiece but 2017 shouldn’t have missed the dance. Shame Roberson couldn’t give us a good senior year after the great tournament run.

It looks kind of like this year's team -- once you subtract the four wins from the NCAA tourney)

It had 3 NBA draft picks.
I think that 2015-16 team was better than people gave it credit for. Its KenPom efficiency numbers were top 25-30 good, better than a lot of our recent teams. We finished 27th overall—50th in offensive efficiency and 18th in defensive efficiency. Gonzaga actually finished ahead of us at 21, so that was a very good, underrated win as others have mentioned.

Last edited:
Yeah -- that team was a 4 seed dressed in a 10 seed's resume.
Not many teams since the late 80's have had 3 NBA Draft picks. The NCAA Title team didn't have 3 NBA Draft picks.

Surprising run, but the team had legit high-end talent.

That was the first year the team started having issues at the 5. Not getting Thomas Bryant and DaJuan Coleman's bad injury luck kept that team from being greater.

Maybe I’m crazy but I do t think the 2016 team looked like this years team at all.

Me neither.

I think this years team wins another 2-3 games if we enter the season expecting JG3 to play 35+ mins at the 1 with Howard Washington backing him up. You can definitely draw parallels between Carey this year and Kaleb that year somehow coming back worse than they were as freshmen.

That was a memorable season. Obie9 and I were at every away game win, starting with Atlantis, and none of the losses. We drove from Syracuse to St. Louis, then Syracuse to Chicago before flying to Dallas to drive to Houston for all the tournament games. We had a great time with friends including CTO & CuseTroop,and made new friends from Austin. When we lost in the Final Four, our friend Neil turned around and told us we were fired.

Agree 100%. I rarely get bent out of shape over officiating because I think its a waste of energy, but that was a blatant misinterpretation of the rules.
bad call, but lord we played like crap most of that game and it shouldn't have come to that.