Candid Coaches: Who are the most overrated and underrated college football coaches? | Syracusefan.com

Candid Coaches: Who are the most overrated and underrated college football coaches?

Love this quote about Saban:

"If you count cheating and getting the best players in the country as part of running a program, he's the best in the country."
Wasn't sure if that was Jimbo or Saban

Not sure I agree with Kirk Ferentz being overrated. Iowa is not a job where you can expect the kind of success he's been able to sustain.

I would say that Peterson is not underrated either. He's pretty universally considered a top 5 active coach.

Last edited:
Isn't really impossible to know how good Saban really is? I mean if you have the best of everything, including players, shouldn't you expect the best results? I wish I could know what he would do with less than a stacked deck. Prior to his championship at LSU and his success at Alabama, his record does not suggest one of the greatest ever, IMO.

My favorite quote from the overrated category:

"James Franklin. His coaching peers know he is full of it."

Agree, he is a used car salesman and it somehow works in the living room. He also is smart enough to know you are sometimes as good as your coordinators and he has 2 good ones.

Isn't really impossible to know how good Saban really is? I mean if you have the best of everything, including players, shouldn't you expect the best results? I wish I could know what he would do with less than a stacked deck. Prior to his championship at LSU and his success at Alabama, his record does not suggest one of the greatest ever, IMO.

Nothing personal but this post is total insanity.

Saban was at Toledo for one season. The year before him they went 5-5-1, he went 9-2, the year after him they went 6-5.

His final year at Michigan State they finished 9-2 in the Top 10.

LSU had back to back losing seasons in their two seasons preceding Saban. He took them to a BCS bowl in Year 2, and a national title in Year 4.

Alabama had two Top 10 finishes in the decade before Saban. In the 11 years with him, they have finished in the Top 10 every single season except his first, and won 5 titles. If the playoff existed one year sooner in 2013 (with the miracle field goal return), they would have been in it and could have easily won it all.

I don't like his personality, but the guy makes everywhere he goes better.

This was "nail on the head" good for Kiffin:

• "I'm probably a little jealous [of Lane Kiffin]. If you're born on third base, that's great, but don't think you hit a triple."
He has said some things recently that indicate he is feeling a bit more humble. Hopefully he's genuine about it.

Saban was at Toledo for one season. The year before him they went 5-5-1, he went 9-2, the year after him they went 6-5.

LSU had back to back losing seasons in their two seasons preceding Saban. He took them to a BCS bowl in Year 2, and a national title in Year 4.

Alabama had two Top 10 finishes in the decade before Saban. In the 11 years with him, they have finished in the Top 10 every single season except his first, and won 5 titles. If the playoff existed one year sooner in 2013 (with the miracle field goal return), they would have been in it and could have easily won it all.

Frank Maloney's outside linebacker coach has done pretty well for himself.

Racehorse and racecar owners don't care if it's the horse or the jockey. They want to put the best jockey on the horse and the best rider in the car. that's how they win. Guys like Saban and Meyer have their advantages but they got those jobs by proving themselves on the way up and they've had the success they've had at places where not all coaches are successful shows they are great coaches. They may not be the only great coaches but they are great coaches.

I dunno...On wiki, it doesn't look so impressive as you make it sound. There were many mediocre seasons mixed in. One exceptional season at MSU among a few borderline better than before him. I just think you have to put things in context. His dice are loaded.

I dunno...On wiki, it doesn't look so impressive as you make it sound. There were many mediocre seasons mixed in. One exceptional season at MSU among a few borderline better than before him. I just think you have to put things in context. His dice are loaded.

But when you imply that Sabans Bama and LSU success should be disregarded because he gets elite talent, that is taking things out of context. It ignores the context that he transformed both those schools from relative mediocrity into powerhouses.

But when you imply that Sabans Bama and LSU success should be disregarded because he gets elite talent, that is taking things out of context. It ignores the context that he transformed both those schools from relative mediocrity into powerhouses.

Come on now. I never said, nor did I imply it should be disregarded. You inferred that. I very simply said exactly what I think, which is it is a lot easier to win when you have the best players, the best facilities and tons of money, and that should be considered. If you don't think that makes it a lot easier, I can't help you. I just believe there are other coaches that might be considered some of the greatest if they had the same advantages. I guess someone has to be thought of as the best so it may as well be that azzhat.

Agree, he is a used car salesman and it somehow works in the living room. He also is smart enough to know you are sometimes as good as your coordinators and he has 2 good ones.
Moorhead is gone...Ricky Rahne is unproven at Offensive Coordinator so we will hopefully see Franklin take a huge step back this year.

Come on now. I never said, nor did I imply it should be disregarded. You inferred that. I very simply said exactly what I think, which is it is a lot easier to win when you have the best players, the best facilities and tons of money, and that should be considered. If you don't think that makes it a lot easier, I can't help you. I just believe there are other coaches that might be considered some of the greatest if they had the same advantages. I guess someone has to be thought of as the best so it may as well be that azzhat.

I agree that having great players and facilities helps coaches win games. But that is the reward for his ability to build programs up and develop talent and build a brand that kids want to be a part of.

In the 25 year span between Bear Bryant and Saban, Alabama went through 6 coaches and won one title. In his 11 years, they have 5 titles. He is the reason why they are what they are.

So when you say "it's impossible to know how good Saban really is" -- of course it's possible. We have the evidence right in front of us.

So when you say "it's impossible to know how good Saban really is" -- of course it's possible. We have the evidence right in front of us.

I agree with him.

99% of us don't know anything about football. We've never been on a practice field with Saban. Never been in a film room. So of course it's impossible to know how good a coach he is.

But he's probably a very good coach.

Saying Saban cheats is perfectly reasonable imo. If basketball coaches are doing it you know football is. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Bama is paying players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom