Candidate Pool, feel free to add. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Candidate Pool, feel free to add.

Current Staff:

Scott Shafer, 45, current job 4 yr DC at SU, prior stops, Michigan, Stanford as DC, various jobs in the MAC.

Nate Hackett, 34, current job, 2 yr OC at SU, prior jobs, offensive quality control in the NFL, assistant coaching, recruiting coordinator Stanford

Donnie Henderson, 56, current job, resurrected as DB coach at SU, 1 yr, was on a downward trajectory after making it to DC in the NFL.

Current Head Coaches:

Dave Clawson, 46, HC Bowling Green since 2009 22-27. prior jobs, 1 year at Tennessee that led to Fulmer getting fired, HC at Richmond and Fordham. No BCS level recruiting experience.

Pete Lembo, 42, current job HC Ball State two seasons 15-10. No NFL or BCS experience. HC at Lehigh and Elon before Ball St.

Chuck Priore, 52, HC SUNY SB since 2006, no nfl, bcs, or D-1 experience. Prior job HC Trinity College.

Bob Wilder, 48, HC ODU since 2009, prior experience, postion coach/coordinator at Maine.

George O'Leary 65, HC CFR since 2004, extensive NFL and BCS experience as HC, coordinator and position coach.

Oldies but goodies/unemployed.

Jim Tressel, 60, last real job HC tOSU. 'nuff said. still under sanction.

Mario Cristobal, 42, bounced out of FIU, five year record 27-41. Prior job position coach at Miami and Rutgers.

Kevin Rogers, 61, last job QB coach Temple, current status unclear. prior job, let go/left mid season with BC 2011, OC at SU and ND, position coach with Vikings.

Mark Whipple, 55, last job QB coach Cleveland, OC at Univ of Miami 09-10, QB coach in NFL, HC at Umass and Brown '94-03.

Hot college coordinators

Tom Herman, 37, OC-OSU 1 year, prior job OC Iowa State and Rice

Brent Venables, 42, DC-Clemson 1 year, DC Oklahoma 7 years, position coach KST, OU.

Pep Hamilton, 38, OC-Stanford 2 years, prior jobs NFL QB coach Chicago, San Fran, NYJ 2004-2009,

Phil Montgomery, 42, OC - Baylor, prior jobs 10 years as offensive assistant with Art Briles at Baylor and Houston.

oh my god that list made me want to puke. there is no chance we go this way but i would want sweater vest or petrino. otherwise promote hackett. anyone else i would rather have TGD coach it wouldn't matter anyways. after a few days of this stewing at this point i wouldn't be surprised if marrone left for an oc or ol job even if he doesn't get a HC job.

Pat Shurmur - no college experience

June Jones, Terry Bowden, Chris Petersen, Norm Chow, Bob Davie

The good news is I hear that Skip and Turner are available and more than likely to accept this time.

I would add Edsall and Golden to your current HC list.
Bees tell me you are joking about Edsall. Dude screws UConn over and then has run Maryland down the tubes. No thanks, would be Grob all over.

Current Staff:

Scott Shafer, 45, current job 4 yr DC at SU, prior stops, Michigan, Stanford as DC, various jobs in the MAC.

Nate Hackett, 34, current job, 2 yr OC at SU, prior jobs, offensive quality control in the NFL, assistant coaching, recruiting coordinator Stanford

Donnie Henderson, 56, current job, resurrected as DB coach at SU, 1 yr, was on a downward trajectory after making it to DC in the NFL.

Current Head Coaches:

Dave Clawson, 46, HC Bowling Green since 2009 22-27. prior jobs, 1 year at Tennessee that led to Fulmer getting fired, HC at Richmond and Fordham. No BCS level recruiting experience.

Pete Lembo, 42, current job HC Ball State two seasons 15-10. No NFL or BCS experience. HC at Lehigh and Elon before Ball St.

Chuck Priore, 52, HC SUNY SB since 2006, no nfl, bcs, or D-1 experience. Prior job HC Trinity College.

Bob Wilder, 48, HC ODU since 2009, prior experience, postion coach/coordinator at Maine.

George O'Leary 65, HC CFR since 2004, extensive NFL and BCS experience as HC, coordinator and position coach.

Mario Cristobal, 42, bounced out of FIU, five year record 27-41. Prior job position coach at Miami and Rutgers.

Kevin Rogers, 61, last job QB coach Temple, current status unclear. prior job, let go/left mid season with BC 2011, OC at SU and ND, position coach with Vikings.

Mark Whipple, 55, last job QB coach Cleveland, OC at Univ of Miami 09-10, QB coach in NFL, HC at Umass and Brown '94-03.

Hot college coordinators

Brent Venables, 42, DC-Clemson 1 year, DC Oklahoma 7 years, position coach KST, OU.

Pep Hamilton, 38, OC-Stanford 2 years, prior jobs NFL QB coach Chicago, San Fran, NYJ 2004-2009,

Phil Montgomery, 42, OC - Baylor, prior jobs 10 years as offensive assistant with Art Briles at Baylor and Houston.

How about Jeff Stoudtland?

My top three candidates...

Nathaniel Hackett

Mario Cristobal

Jim Tressel

I'm not sure if either of the second two would come here.

Jeff Jagodzinski just took the Georgia St OC job, seems like SU would be better. Tom Obrien has connections in the NE and ACC country. Obrien does have a non compete clause meaning he would need a buyout to coach in the ACC before 2015

I read the other day that Tom Coughlin would be a good choice, since he played here and has had some limited success in the NFL, and might want to fade into the sunset at SU. You left him off your list.

Tom Herman is a very good mention. At Iowa State this year the dropoff from Herman to their new OC Messingham (position coach) has been enormous and most fans are demanding he be fired. I think that would be a great hire.

I think Cristobal is too risky. He might give you a great first season though.

I think Tressel's playcalling is conservative and am not sure the talent level is where it needs to be for him to win.

I am more than OK with Smart or Diaco. Maybe Montgomery and if you look at him look at Reagan since he's an SU guy.

But I'd probably go Hackett over Reagan. And over Montgomery I got no clue how he'd piece together a defensive staff at SU.

Lembo from Ball St would be the only small school coach I'd look at but I see no reason he doesn't bolt immediately with any success to another job. After him the next best option of small school HC is OLeary who is too old and has too much baggage so I don't go that route either. Furthermore all the good small schools coaches have been long poached we'd be late to that party(Ark St, Kent, SJST, USU etc.)

As much as it would suck, should Marrone leave, I always find myself excited by change. I have no idea why.

Out of the list of coaches in the OP (which consists of all my knowledge lmao) I'd go Hackett/Schafer, Tressel, or Montgomery. Montgomery because.. have you seen Baylor and Houstons offenses?

I read the other day that Tom Coughlin would be a good choice, since he played here and has had some limited success in the NFL, and might want to fade into the sunset at SU. You left him off your list.
Absolutely! Maybe you could mediate a job swap with him and Marrone ?!?! SMH

My preference would be to hire Hackett. He is young, same offense, similar staff, most recruits would stay on.

You guys are dreaming if you think Tressel would come here..

Out of people not associated with program, i would want Diaco the most, but even that would be a massive settle. So late in the game..

Rich Rod baby... Now's our chance.

No GRob as DC contract clause.

Current Staff:

Current Head Coaches:

Hot college coordinators

Respectfully...a weak list. Not sure if it is influenced by your insight on Marrone and his issues, but see,a like we can do better.

2008 had a better list and less money and no ACC. Doesn't have to be someone's dream job to be a dmn good job.

We are in a good place right now--no rebuild needed. Hackett is the pick that will upset the boat the least.

If Marrone leaves the job at Syracuse University is not an attractive job for any big name, the university will probably need to find a second tier assistant, and hope for the best.

If Marrone leaves the job at Syracuse University is not an attractive job for any big name, the university will probably need to find a second tier assistant, and hope for the best.

In other words if he leaves we are screwed.

Mark Mangino is one hell of a coach. Knows how to recruit and win at a basketball school.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Mark Mangino is one hell of a coach. Knows how to recruit and win at a basketball school.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Great coach, too much luggage... Great coach though, look at what Kansas has done since. I still say Turner Gill is a good coach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom