Candidate Pool, feel free to add. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Candidate Pool, feel free to add.

If Marrone leaves the job at Syracuse University is not an attractive job for any big name, the university will probably need to find a second tier assistant, and hope for the best.

What is a "big name".

This job is much, much, much, more attractive than it was four years ago.

Mark Mangino is one hell of a coach. Knows how to recruit and win at a basketball school.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yuck

Understanding SU Football Culture crucial.

Eh, not so much.

Understanding how to operate at a private school vs a program that has crazy money would be helpful.

If Syracuse is willing to be a bit patient I think a guy like Tom Herman or Pep Hamilton would be great hires, really like both of them. I think you call a couple current head coaches who are at similar programs to see if if they are happy in their current situation, go to the hot coordinators see if they may be interested and then go to hackett and or Shafer but who knows how high those two grade out.. The question would be is how committed is Gross to the process? Do we need Monk, Little, Mcnabb and Green to be highly involved? I don't know but they have to be dilligent but they need to act quickly if this thing goes down but you will lose a few recruits most likley unless the new guy can sell and sell quikcly regardless of who it is.

Hackett and or Shafer could be diamonds in the rough and we could do far worse, they could certainly hit the ground running

Rich Rod baby... Now's our chance.

No GRob as DC contract clause.

Funny I immediately thought of RichRod too. I know he's in Zona, but is he happy there? Would he rather be back on the east coast? Some of the stink has worn off, maybe he is worth a "feeler"?

If Syracuse is willing to be a bit patient I think a guy like Tom Herman or Pep Hamilton would be great hires, really like both of them. I think you call a couple current head coaches who are at similar programs to see if if they are happy in their current situation, go to the hot coordinators see if they may be interested and then go to hackett and or Shafer but who knows how high those two grade out.. The question would be is how committed is Gross to the process? Do we need Monk, Little, Mcnabb and Green to be highly involved? I don't know but they have to be dilligent but they need to act quickly if this thing goes down but you will lose a few recruits most likley unless the new guy can sell and sell quikcly regardless of who it is.

Hackett and or Shafer could be diamonds in the rough and we could do far worse, they could certainly hit the ground running

My guess is that Hackett, Shafer, Herman, Hamilton, would result in little, if no, negative impact on recruiting.

Funny I immediately thought of RichRod too. I know he's in Zona, but is he happy there? Would he rather be back on the east coast? Some of the stink has worn off, maybe he is worth a "feeler"?

Who in their right mind is leaving Arizona to come here.

Respectfully...a weak list. Not sure if it is influenced by your insight on Marrone and his issues, but see,a like we can do better.

2008 had a better list and less money and no ACC. Doesn't have to be someone's dream job to be a dmn good job.

The problem is that's what I think is available. The experienced HC's that are available in lower level programs or coordinator jobs all have issues. Do you want TOB, Holtz, Petrino, Mangino? There's are reasons why guys like Rogers, Whipple, Foster haven't gotten HC jobs at this point.

I don't see anybody coming from a current BCS conference job to take a job here. The ONLY exception I see is if Golden wants to bail out of the U.

The pool for this job are NFL and BCS coordinators, MAC/CUSA HC's, and the unemployed. We should never be looking to hire 1-AA guys unless they are very, very, very exceptional.

Understanding SU Football Culture crucial.

Not nearly as much as it was 4 years ago. It a factor that would favor a candidate, but I don't think it's crucial at this point.

Who in their right mind is leaving Arizona to come here.

No one. I was kinda joking when I threw that name out there.

Feeling a little better now that we won't be searching for someone, but if we do, the offensive and defensive framework/principles really need to stay in place. Doesn't mean one of the coordinators is automatically ready, but they're each doing a great job.

I'd be on board with Rich Rod coaching Syracuse in our Dome against the ACC. That would be a lot of fun. The thing that concerns me most with him is defensively he's terrible and if he's going to force a defense on somebody like Scott Schafer then I'd rather not see him as our coach. If we hired an offensive HC they'd need to give the DCoordinator autonomy.

One thing that has always stood out to me with the Marrone/Schafer relationship is Marrone's consultation with Schafer about things that gives his offenses and offensive lineman fits. Little things like that I think have really helped our d.

No one. I was kinda joking when I threw that name out there.

Feeling a little better now that we won't be searching for someone, but if we do, the offensive and defensive framework/principles really need to stay in place. Doesn't mean one of the coordinators is automatically ready, but they're each doing a great job.

I know you were kidding, not so sure about the guy who followed up your post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom