Can't call it a 2-3 zone anymore | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can't call it a 2-3 zone anymore

SJU got wildly hot.
By tossing the ball into the high post at will, contorting our zone, and thereby freeing up their "wildly hot" shooters - with no adjustments made to stop it from happening. :noidea:

Agreed. And part of my reason for starting this thread is saying that playing the zone in what I see as a 4-1 will not allow for effective rebounding. It's our center against all comers because our forwards are leaking too far (in my mind). They contest, and the person they are contesting is taking a shot or crashing the boards past them.

One of the reasons this is bothering me is that I see our forwards coming out without a shooter there. They are anticipating too much. Even G does this. He's got the footspeed to get back, but guys like Mal and Trob don't.

Even when we have had great teams we couldn't rebound. This comes up every year. We just usually make up for it in other areas(turnovers). I specifically remember this game because Huggie went nuts that Baye got away with goaltending at the end.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=320280183

Exactly. Our defense has done well before SJU in defending shots. Last I looked we were 35th in the country. We've been better but that's not bad. BUT, if the other is getting a lot more shots, the defense percentage becomes less telling. More shots means we either turn it over a lot more than the other team (isn't happening) or we're getting killed on the boards (happening). So my contention is our issue isn't defense but rebounding.
And missing as many shots as we have lately creates a huge amount of rebounding opportunities for the opponent.

what difference do percentages make when the opposition puts up 20 more shots?
This is pure Gold. It boils down to a few things and this is certainly one of them. It's like first person to make 10 baskets wins... You get 25 shots... We get 12.

It's not rocket science. Unless we have something to offset the ridiculous disparity in rebounds. ( like we are shooting lights out from 3 point land) it's going to be difficult to win games. St. Johns was scoring points more prolifically than ever.

Last edited:
Going into this game SU was holding opponents to 30% shooting from 3. That's pretty good. And overall we were holding teams to 38% which is also good. SJU got wildly hot.

UCONN: 10-26 from three, 33 (9 offensive) to 41 rebounds for Syracuse

TX A and M: 6-20, 39 (17 offensive) to 31 for A & M

Wisconsin: 5-18 from 3, Rebound 51 (16 offensive) to 25 for Wisconsin

GTOWN: 8-21 from 3, Gtown 35 (14 offensive) to 32 Rebounds, 14 Offensive rebounds allowed

St. Johns: 12-24 from 3, 51 (12 Offensive) to 36 rebounds

Team Opposition Total rebounds: 217 Rebounds to SU’s 157, 3-Point stats: 41-109 (38%)

^^^There is absolutely now way you can look at those stats above and objectively defend the zone. It has gotten shredded. The fact that they have gotten outrebounded by SIXTY in the five games against good teams is embarrassing. This is Syracuse! A top tier program with the abilities to recruit top tier prospects/athletes. I have big expectations for the program. Being out rebounded by sixty is baffling and something clearly needs to be changed.

In addition, St. Johns really stinks.

Exactly. Our defense has done well before SJU in defending shots. Last I looked we were 35th in the country. We've been better but that's not bad. BUT, if the other is getting a lot more shots, the defense percentage becomes less telling. More shots means we either turn it over a lot more than the other team (isn't happening) or we're getting killed on the boards (happening). So my contention is our issue isn't defense but rebounding.
The whole point of defense is to get the defensive rebound. That's every teams goal every time down on defense. The fact that Syracuse cannot do that, is a huge DEFENSIVE problem.

The whole point of defense is to get the defensive rebound. That's every teams goal every time down on defense. The fact that Syracuse cannot do that, is a huge DEFENSIVE problem.
Like x1000. It's amazing how people with a pro-zone agenda conveniently suggest that rebounding (e.g. regaining possession) is somehow not part of defense.

FrancoPizza said:
Like x1000. It's amazing how people with a pro-zone agenda conveniently suggest that rebounding (e.g. regaining possession) is somehow not part of defense.

That was my point, so thanks for emphasizing it. It's the rebounding, not the defending of the shot.

That was my point, so thanks for emphasizing it. It's the rebounding, not the defending of the shot.
It's like watching the other team play a bad game of HORSE. Miss from the high post. Offensive rebound kick-out. Miss again from the 3pt arc. Long offensive rebound. Miss a mid-range jumper... offensive rebound. Then blow by the wing for a baseline layup to finally end the possession.

Brutal. We're better off packing the paint and letting them have a wide open 3. Not like we're contesting them anyway.

It's like watching the other team play a bad game of HORSE. Miss from the high post. Offensive rebound kick-out. Miss again from the 3pt arc. Long offensive rebound. Miss a mid-range jumper... offensive rebound. Then blow by the wing for a baseline layup to finally end the possession.

Brutal. We're better off packing the paint and letting them have a wide open 3. Not like we're contesting them anyway.

We've never rebounded well out of the zone. This is not a new issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom