Carey / Washington / Howard update... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carey / Washington / Howard update...

UConn is gonna press the hell out of us. We’re gonna need at least 2 of the 3 PGs back for that game
Just like the last couple of years. And at MSG, just never know.

Tyus, kinda. The other two, no. Not from what I’ve seen.
Hughes isn't even playing in the guard rotation, he is with the forwards and has been since the beginning of last year. Tyus will be fine but I'm wondering what the plan is.

Tyus for 40, until one of them comes back IMO.

Tyus is just destined to play 40 minutes every game, apparently.
I agree. I'm assuming Buddy doesn't play 40 though so who is the other guard?

I agree. I'm assuming Buddy doesn't play 40 though so who is the other guard?

Oh, true. Gonna have to play Hughes at 2 some, then.

You could tell he didn’t look real comfortable at the top of the zone. He ran into the paint on 2 straight 3’s and gave up long rebounds to where he should’ve been. Takes time to get good up there and if he’s only been with the forwards, that could hurt defensively.

Hopefully, the walk-on guards should get minutes vs. Eastern Washington.

These games will be tough if the PGs are out. UConn gets up for this and will get up in our shorts and defend hard. Those games recently were both very ugly. 1-1. We have lots of length but not a lot of team speed if the guards are out. Oregon would be extremely tough to beat without the guards. They have athletes anyways and play above the rim as well.

Tyus for 40, until one of them comes back IMO.

Tyus is just destined to play 40 minutes every game, apparently.
Might have to change my Iggy's.

UConn will press but other Adams and Gilbert there isn’t much talent in their backcourt. And Adams has never been in great shape.

We should dominate their front line though.

These games will be tough if the PGs are out. UConn gets up for this and will get up in our shorts and defend hard. Those games recently were both very ugly. 1-1. We have lots of length but not a lot of team speed if the guards are out. Oregon would be extremely tough to beat without the guards. They have athletes anyways and play above the rim as well.

Yes. And having Battle have to play a different role than he’s used to would not be ideal. Throws everything out of wack. Ideally we want him being aggressive and making the defense pay.

Obviously we have a way better team than UConn. But games are won on the court and not having any of our PG’s is significant and could put us in for a dogfight against any team with a pulse.

That said, I think defensively we’ll still put ourselves in position to win, and we should be able to get enough offense - particularly if Hughes shoots well. Brissett and Battle should still be the two best players on the court. Barring an off game, we should be ok.

With our full squad I’d be expecting to beat them by 20.

looking at game 4, i'm not going to assume it will be oregon. iowa did not have a great year last year, but like us they were a young & inexperienced team and, also like us, they bring everyone back. they can match up with us size-wise in the frontcourt, where they frequently went 6-11, 6-9, 6-11 last year. their starting guards hit 43% and 39% from deep last season, and their center even hit 35%

pomeroy has them as his preseason 35th ranked team and has them just a 2 point dog to oregon

looking at game 4, i'm not going to assume it will be oregon. iowa did not have a great year last year, but like us they were a young & inexperienced team and, also like us, they bring everyone back. they can match up with us size-wise in the frontcourt, where they frequently went 6-11, 6-9, 6-11 last year. their starting guards hit 43% and 39% from deep last season, and their center even hit 35%

pomeroy has them as his preseason 35th ranked team and has them just a 2 point dog to oregon

Thanks. Yes, these will be real games. I would like to have Carey able to play 10-20 minutes, just in case they press us, or we get too stale on offense. I think Tyus, Buddy and Hughes can make do for now, but if we get pressed, look out. Anyone could totally take us out of any offense with a good press and no point guards.

I think Frank and Washington should wait until they're healthy, even if it is another couple weeks. That's best for everybody involved, so a couple little tweaks don't turn into a season-long problem, because it wasn't properly treated/rested/recovery time permitted. Let's not create any season long problems. If we don't sweep the games at the Garden, it's really not the end of the world. I want to do really well in the ACC this year. This year matters a LOT to get us back into the top 4.

UConn will press but other Adams and Gilbert there isn’t much talent in their backcourt. And Adams has never been in great shape.

We should dominate their front line though.

In theory but until I see it to believe it re: points in the paint against a real team; all bets are off.

We also seem to forget that UConn has a real coach again in Hurley. He’ll be looking to make an early statement against Syracuse. We lost to UConn two years ago and nearly let it slip away last year.

We also seem to forget that UConn has a real coach again in Hurley. He’ll be looking to make an early statement against Syracuse. We lost to UConn two years ago and nearly let it slip away last year.
I also think Hurley is legit. We might have to worry about them in a couple years.

Very true. Unfortunately for Hurley, he still has Ollie's players. And other than Gilbert and Adams, they have a bunch of "AAC-level" (at best) players.

We are a much better team this year than we have been the past 2 years. UConn is roughly the same. You could argue UConn 2 years ago was better than they are this year. The question is can Hurley make up the difference.

Doubt Iowa can stop us if we play them. McCaffery is a defense optional coach. They were pathetic to watch last year on that end. Apparently they actually attempted to practice it in the preseason, which is progress.

Last edited:
SU will grow from these injuries and to be honest, it might even help Battles overall game playing point for a few games just to see a different aspect of the game. As some have said earlier, I just want the PG's to heal correctly and soundly so these injuries do not hamper them for the rest of the season. It is possible this might cost SU a higher seed in the tournament but will forge the steel needed for a big run at the end. So...in the big picture if this is done right, it may be a blessing in disguise.

SU will grow from these injuries and to be honest, it might even help Battles overall game playing point for a few games just to see a different aspect of the game. As some have said earlier, I just want the PG's to heal correctly and soundly so these injuries do not hamper them for the rest of the season. It is possible this might cost SU a higher seed in the tournament but will forge the steel needed for a big run at the end. So...in the big picture if this is done right, it may be a blessing in disguise.

Ya know, I wonder if maybe this isn't how JB is looking at the situation as well. It might account for why he has been in no hurry to rush his injured PG's into the early games.

He is well aware that in order for his team to be able to defeat the most elite teams in the country this year, his guys will need to present a balanced offensive attack to spread the defense and not just rely on Tyus defeating any dedicated defensive effort to stop him.

And that means Tyus will have to adjust to a new role and master the art of using all of his team's other offensive threats to give himself the space to do his thing with optimal efficiency.

The hoped for result: more wins, possibly a National Championship, and Tyus showing the NBA that he knows how to blend his talents with those of team mates to generate success on the court.

What better way to help Tyus to see his new role in the team's offense than to get him used to the PG role early on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom