Carmelo Anthony: the Square-Peg Superstar | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo Anthony: the Square-Peg Superstar

Carmelo Anthony: The Square-Peg Superstar

A pretty good summary of what went wrong with Melo's career.
That piece makes him sound like an underachieving, abject failure as a player, which is ridiculous.

And when I see George Karl running him down, I can only laugh. Carmelo made that guy an awful lot of money; he should be sending him gifts on every holiday.

George Karl is a clown who has publically trashed or feuded with almost every star player he’s coached.

There was nothing wrong with prime Melo. He’s in his 17th year. Legs are gone. Happens to everyone.

As I said in another post, an old Melo probably would’ve been a better fit for the league in the 90s or 00s. He can’t keep up on either end with the style of play, and he’s never been a great spot up shooter. He’s streaky in that role.

If this was the “old” NBA, he’d still be able to get buckets on someone’s second unit if they’d let him play to his strengths. In this era where they just want everyone to run around real fast and catch and shoot 3’s, not so much.

Trolls like Bleacher Report did a number on his rep with the sheep fans.

Prime Melo was right behind LeBron and KD as the next best wing in the league. He did more than fine.

Suddenly it’s a bad thing to have jab steps and footwork and post moves and to be able to shoot off the dribble from 17. All they want you to do is catch and shoot the 3, catch it and pass it real quick, or barrel all the way to the hole.

George Karl is a clown who has publically trashed or feuded with almost every star player he’s coached.

There was nothing wrong with prime Melo. He’s in his 17th year. Legs are gone. Happens to everyone.

As I said in another post, an old Melo probably would’ve been a better fit for the league in the 90s or 00s. He can’t keep up on either end with the style of play, and he’s never been a great spot up shooter. He’s streaky in that role.

If this was the “old” NBA, he’d still be able to get buckets on someone’s second unit if they’d let him play to his strengths. In this era where they just want everyone to run around real fast and catch and shoot 3’s, not so much.

Prime Melo was right behind LeBron and KD as the next best wing in the league. He did more than fine.

Suddenly it’s a bad thing to have jab steps and footwork and post moves and to be able to shoot off the dribble from 17. All they want you to do is catch and shoot the 3, catch it and pass it real quick, or barrel all the way to the hole.

Yup. Personally, I can’t stand Golden State and I hate how three-happy the NBA has gotten, but that’s just me. I’m sure I’m in the minority there. High scoring games = more excitement = more casual fans, which is what the NBA wants.

Yup. Personally, I can’t stand Golden State and I hate how three-happy the NBA has gotten, but that’s just me. I’m sure I’m in the minority there. High scoring games = more excitement = more casual fans, which is what the NBA wants.

It’s leads to a lot of blowouts. It leads to ridiculous stats like Houston missing 27 straight 3’s or whatever it was, in a playoff game.

I don’t want a return to 74-69 Pistons-Spurs NBA finals slugfests either. I like balance.

I liked where the league was maybe 5 years ago when Pace was getting faster, scoring was up, spacing and shooting were emphasized...it just wasn’t nearly as extreme as it is now. It would be interesting to see how they’d demonize Kobe’s game if he was 10 years younger. He started getting old and getting hurt and then retired right before all these parrots started repeating “ball stopper” so prime Kobe didn’t have to deal with that criticism as much as Melo.

The worst thing to happen to melo’s career was to begin it alongside James and wade.

Bosh too...because those 3 all grouped up to play together. Melo was locked in to his deal for another year.

He’d have multiple titles if he been able to team up with the other best players from his class in their primes.

I value Melo's 3 Olympic medals. Since it's an American sport growing globally, maybe he'll retain credit for that in the future. A championship requires much more than an individual superstar. I recall Michael Jordan putting up 69 on a playoff opponent early on, but it took about 6 years for management to build the right squad around him.

Melo never played on a good NBA team in his prime. He was wasted. He has to accept now that he's not the same player as a few years ago. Takes too many shots especially treys. In fact he takes mostly treys. He looks like he has no lift anymore or explosion in his first step. It's sad. He has to accept a role as a complimentary bench player now and he is having trouble with that. I didn't think he would be a good match for a team with Harden and Chris Paul. Those guys have to get the shots and Melo wants to shoot -- a lot. Wasn't going to work.

I value Melo's 3 Olympic medals. Since it's an American sport growing globally, maybe he'll retain credit for that in the future. A championship requires much more than an individual superstar. I recall Michael Jordan putting up 69 on a playoff opponent early on, but it took about 6 years for management to build the right squad around him.

You could've played meaningful minutes on all of those Olympic teams and won a gold medal. Olympic gold in basketball hasn't meant anything since the dream team was created.

Bosh too...because those 3 all grouped up to play together. Melo was locked in to his deal for another year.

He’d have multiple titles if he been able to team up with the other best players from his class in their primes.

Yeah, Melo made a few tactical errors that he likely regrets. Getting locked into that deal for the extra year for the $, the way the Knicks deal went down, etc...

Ultimately, he'll never get the credit he deserved for what he did with Denver in an ultra-competitive Western Conference. He also put up great numbers with the Knicks if you look at those numbers versus what he did in Denver.

It's a shame the past few seasons seem to have all but overshadowed that - it's pretty much eclipsed it entirely at the moment. That will likely change a bit after he retires though. George Karl certainly didn't do much to help with his criticism, but I mostly blame that ********* Phil Jackson for creating some crap narrative that was unnecessary and self-serving.

You could've played meaningful minutes on all of those Olympic teams and won a gold medal. Olympic gold in basketball hasn't meant anything since the dream team was created.

I don't know - the rest of the world has really caught up. Some NBA stars play for their non-American home teams, and the US has struggled against some of them. In 2016, Melo had spurts where he took over for a full quarter or so, then the other stars took their turn. The US needed then all, unlike the early Dream Teams, who destroyed everybody.

I know he would have to go to Golden State at this point to sniff a ring. (as a rarely-used bench player).

Melo never played on a good NBA team in his prime. He was wasted. He has to accept now that he's not the same player as a few years ago. Takes too many shots especially treys. In fact he takes mostly treys. He looks like he has no lift anymore or explosion in his first step. It's sad. He has to accept a role as a complimentary bench player now and he is having trouble with that. I didn't think he would be a good match for a team with Harden and Chris Paul. Those guys have to get the shots and Melo wants to shoot -- a lot. Wasn't going to work.
Carmelo's Denver teams were pretty good and always made the playoffs, primarily because he elevated them there. He wasn't able to do that as consistently in NY, but some of that was probably attributable to the inept management in that organization.

He became mainly a three point shooter in OKC and Houston because that was the role he was asked to fill. While it was never his strength, he did develop into a pretty good volume three point shooter in NY when the rest of his offensive skills were still there.

The all-time leading scorer in US Olymoic history, 3 gold medals (more than any other player in Olympic history).

Yes, that should count for something. He gave back to US basketball like he gave back to SU basketball.

Much respect.

Carmelo Anthony: No N.B.A. Title, but Lots of Olympic Gold

I don't know - the rest of the world has really caught up. Some NBA stars play for their non-American home teams, and the US has struggled against some of them. In 2016, Melo had spurts where he took over for a full quarter or so, then the other stars took their turn. The US needed then all, unlike the early Dream Teams, who destroyed everybody.

I know he would have to go to Golden State at this point to sniff a ring. (as a rarely-used bench player).

Deron Williams has two rings.

If he didn't take over a quarter, one of the other 12 NBA all stars would have done well enough to not make the team lose.

His ncaa championship is a far far far greater accomplishment than his Olympic gold.

dumers is delusional to think he could have changed melo's game.

bottom line, melo was always a star until the last couple of years. imho, a true superstar gets his while making others aound him better.

unfortunately, that was never melo.

the titles melo won, including 2003, he was on teams where others were good enough and he did not have to make them better.

best chance was 2009. They had Lakers tied at 2-2 and had some issues with turnovers at the end of games.

Thanks for posting this. Now I don't need to take the time. Garbage article.

dumers is delusional to think he could have changed melo's game.

bottom line, melo was always a star until the last couple of years. imho, a true superstar gets his while making others aound him better.

unfortunately, that was never melo.

the titles melo won, including 2003, he was on teams where others were good enough and he did not have to make them better.
So Melo didn't make anyone better on the 2003 team. Who are the players that were so good they did not need a guy averaging 22 and 10. Hilarious take.

So Melo didn't make anyone better on the 2003 team. Who are the players that were so good they did not need a guy averaging 22 and 10. Hilarious take.

never said they did not need melo. I just said melo didn't make them better.

Surely you jest about others not being good. Hak ended up being a first round NBA pick. GMAC was one of our all-time best players ever. Edelin was probably the glue guy who made others better. Solid pieces with Duany and Pace. Solid d centers in Forth and McNeil.

In the title game it was GMAC's first half that set the table and Hak's block that sealed the deal.

Now don't get me wrong, Melo shouldered a great deal of the load and was definitely the star of that team, but there was plenty of help.

never said they did not need melo. I just said melo didn't make them better.

Surely you jest about others not being good. Hak ended up being a first round NBA pick. GMAC was one of our all-time best players ever. Edelin was probably the glue guy who made others better. Solid pieces with Duany and Pace. Solid d centers in Forth and McNeil.

In the title game it was GMAC's first half that set the table and Hak's block that sealed the deal.

Now don't get me wrong, Melo shouldered a great deal of the load and was definitely the star of that team, but there was plenty of help.
Melo consistantly drew double teams and was the focus of the defense. There is no way Hak would have averaged 12 and 8 or whatever he did if he had not had Melo. Gmac as a freshman was a 35% 3 point shooter. He was great in the title game and I love him but if he is keyed on he can be stopped. He was 6-1. and not a great athlete. In the title game Melo had 20 points 10 rebounds and 7 assists.

Melo consistantly drew double teams and was the focus of the defense. There is no way Hak would have averaged 12 and 8 or whatever he did if he had not had Melo. Gmac as a freshman was a 35% 3 point shooter. He was great in the title game and I love him but if he is keyed on he can be stopped. He was 6-1. and not a great athlete. In the title game Melo had 20 points 10 rebounds and 7 assists.

Remember Gerry hitting the 3 to beat ND at the Dome that season? They were all over Melo, which allowed GMac to easily be freed up and he buried it.