Carmelo Anthony: the Square-Peg Superstar | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo Anthony: the Square-Peg Superstar

Remember Gerry hitting the 3 to beat ND at the Dome that season? They were all over Melo, which allowed GMac to easily be freed up and he buried it.
I remember that the entire building thought Melo was going to take the shot and that left GMAC in the corner without anyone near him for a wide open look.

dumers is delusional to think he could have changed melo's game.

bottom line, melo was always a star until the last couple of years. imho, a true superstar gets his while making others aound him better.

unfortunately, that was never melo.

the titles melo won, including 2003, he was on teams where others were good enough and he did not have to make them better.
Also for the record Dumars wasn't the one being quoted it was Billups who thought the culture Detroit had would have changed Melo. The team he was on won like 10 games the year before and was terrible. The best way for them to win was for Melo to go iso with his guy and score. There is literally no team Melo has been on where he was selfish and held the ball at the expense of good players around him. He was never on a team with anyone who was good. I can't talk to someone about the best players Melo has been with without them bringing up Jeremy Lin who is a journeyman who has been on 7 teams. Apparently Melo is the puppetmaster screwing it up for him at every turn. The one criticism of Melo is he should have went and joined another team that had good players on it while still in his prime. He would have a few rings that would have nothing to do with how good he is but the 75% of the morons in this world who seem to think that is the only thing that is valuable would have something to cling to so they wouldn't need a pound of Melo's flesh.

I remember that the entire building thought Melo was going to take the shot and that left GMAC in the corner without anyone near him for a wide open look.

Yup. If I recall we just brought the ball up, made one pass to GMac and he buried it. It was an easy one. If we didn’t have Melo, they would’ve been all over GMac.

Also for the record Dumars wasn't the one being quoted it was Billups who thought the culture Detroit had would have changed Melo. The team he was on won like 10 games the year before and was terrible. The best way for them to win was for Melo to go iso with his guy and score. There is literally no team Melo has been on where he was selfish and held the ball at the expense of good players around him. He was never on a team with anyone who was good. I can't talk to someone about the best players Melo has been with without them bringing up Jeremy Lin who is a journeyman who has been on 7 teams. Apparently Melo is the puppetmaster screwing it up for him at every turn. The one criticism of Melo is he should have went and joined another team that had good players on it while still in his prime. He would have a few rings that would have nothing to do with how good he is but the 75% of the morons in this world who seem to think that is the only thing that is valuable would have something to cling to so they wouldn't need a pound of Melo's flesh.

Chauncey should probably also point out that Detroit probably would’ve won multiple rings if they had drafted Carmelo(or Wade. Or Bosh). Darko was a wasted pick who contributed zero.

Yup. If I recall we just brought the ball up, made one pass to GMac and he buried it. It was an easy one. If we didn’t have Melo, they would’ve been all over GMac.
Gmac ran up the right side and went to the corner with no one going over there. He was a complete after thought. You could tell not a single member of ND was thinking you know who might shoot this the 6'1" white kid.

Chauncey should probably also point out that Detroit probably would’ve won multiple rings if they had drafted Carmelo(or Wade. Or Bosh). Darko was a wasted pick who contributed zero.
There was some site that I was sent that had Melo going to the Pistons and ran simulations. They basically had Melo and Detroit winning 3 out of 4 titles Melo's first 4 years. It also has Melo winning 2 MVP's. The simulations says that if Melo had gone to Detroit he would be considered better than Lebron by many through their first decade in the league. Lebron the better all around player but Melo would have more rings and MVP's along with a college title. Kind of interesting how it could have gone.

Wade or Melo for sure. Melo was the thing they needed most. A wing that could rebound and score at a high level. That is all they were missing.