Carmelo: Basketball "didn't love me back..." | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo: Basketball "didn't love me back..."

I think I disagree with every statement you made in this post. Barkley, Malone and Payton were all in their mid 30’s and at the end. That is not chasing rings to me. Also Gary Payton was on the Heat and has a ring. I dont hear people talk that much about Gary or Charles not winning since they went up against Jordan. It’s mostly how great they were. Barkley for rebounding at his height and Gary playing defense. I agree KG chased a ring and won but I don’t think it really changed his legacy all that much. He was also at the end and had multiple other good players on the team.

How did KG "chase a ring?" He got traded against his will, and almost blocked the trade to Boston because he was so upset about being forced out of Minnesota.

I think there's revisionist history around KG / that group, because Lebron once said that he got inspired to build a superteam based upon what Boston had done. But as I recall, Pierce and KG had to talk Allen into joining them, after KG himself had to decide not to veto the trade. These weren't guys who schemed in advance to get together to chase a ring.

Last edited:
How did KG "chase a ring?" He got traded against his will, and almost blocked the trade to Boston because he was so upset about being forced out of Minnesota.

And also, KG was an MVP-level player his first year in Boston. He wasn't just riding coat-tails like Gary Payton in Miami.

Melo and Paul Pierce were very similar players. Switch the two as far as who they played for and Melo would be considered top 25 of all time.

As it is, he’s top 45-50. The Melo bashing is absurd.

Yeah. Pierce never came close to winning squat until he was in his early 30’s - and they brought two hall of famers to his team. Changed the whole narrative on him.

Melo’s stats are almost identical to Dominique’s. Nothing wrong with that at all. Great, great players.

Carmelo's career was permanently stained by the years he spent with the Knicks.
With little to no help, he took the brunt of the blame for that dumpster fire.

Mark Cuban talked about Melo and Team USA.

"I had to speak up for Melo. He should be on that team. Absolutely no reason for them not to have him on that team." Cuban added, "As far as distractions, you've got the best coaches in the universe coaching that team, how is he gonna be a distraction?"

Note that this isn't even about the 2020 Olympic team, this is for 2019 FIBA World Cup, where most star NBA players do not participate in. The big names would skip out on these games then only come in for the Olympics. Which I don't understand either, why do they have these qualifying years before the Olympics, with team members who aren't going to be in the actual Olympics. Talking about "distraction" they put Magic Johnson and Larry Bird on the 92 Dream Team back then. Magic was diagnosed with HIV and out of the NBA and Larry had a bad back and no condition to play.

To be fair. I didn't see anything in these reports on why this info was made known in public. It could have been leaked from some low level administration staff with team USA and they felt like they had to make a statement and explain their action.

He didn't even get an invite to the training camp where they will select the team and backup members. On the other hand, had he been invited then not make the team it would have been a bigger embarrassment.

Personally I don't think Melo is looking to re-establish himself for the NBA using the Olympics as a vehicle. NBA teams are not going to change their perception based on his performance on these games. They know what he can and cannot do. Melo is not going to get a farewell tour like the one DWade got last season, he knows that. I think he is just trying to play and end his career on a positive note, instead of being traded ten games in and waived. He would have done whatever necessary for team USA to win.

I think there's revisionist history around KG / that group, because Lebron once said that he got inspired to build a superteam based upon what Boston had done. But as I recall, Pierce and KG had to talk Allen into joining them, after KG himself had to decide not to veto the trade. These weren't guys who schemed in advance to get together to chase a ring.
I know they traded for Allen before they did for KG. Had KG already spoken with Allen? If I recall correctly, Ainge was ready to go forward with Pierce, Allen and Al Jefferson.

I know they traded for Allen before they did for KG. Had KG already spoken with Allen? If I recall correctly, Ainge was ready to go forward with Pierce, Allen and Al Jefferson.

Allen trade happened draft night. Celtics had pick #5 in a 2 player draft of course.

KG trade had been agreed to BEFORE the draft. But KG did any and everything in his power to stop it making it clear to Ainge there was no chance he would resign. Pick #5 was the main piece for KG. Ainge backed off even though the draft was weak.

PP was looking for a way out during all of this after KG said no.

Rondo vs Delonte was what almost stopped the Allen trade from happening. All that Seattle was going to get was Wally Shwagbag and pick #5 and Delonte hardly worth it for Allen but Sam Presti is a moron and had no clue how good a player he was going to get at #2. So they moved their 25 PPG star due to his ankle injuries for #5 overall.

Celtics would have drafted Durant over Oden guaranteed maybe the only lottery team where that isn't total BS if they got 1. They had 2nd best odds somehow Memphis managed to be worse that year (plenty of good players for the Cs but there was an 18 game losing streak without Peirce that year.)

Al Jeff, Telfair, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, and 2 firsts is a pretty good return for Minnesota for KG (and Theo Ratliff to balance cash.)

Royce White has Melo's back. Well it's someone at least

The question is why is he being blackballed?