Carmelo officially retiring! | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo officially retiring!

I think Carmelo Anthony is a lot like Dominique Wilkins. Great players that were just never in the right situation to win a championship. I hate how much players are often judged simply on whether or not they ever won a championship. There are plenty of legends that it never worked out for for one reason or another. Was Melo quite as good as LeBron? No. But does Dwayne Wade ever win a championship if the Heat front office doesn't make moves to get Shaq or LeBron? I doubt it. What if Wade and Melo switch places? Does anything change?

Lol Jokic wasn’t growing up in a league with Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, KG, Dirk, Pierce, Stoudemire, Carter… the list goes on. I hate that espn couldnt wait to raise the jokic vs melo garbage. Denver Melo was an absolute weapon

I think Carmelo Anthony is a lot like Dominique Wilkins. Great players that were just never in the right situation to win a championship. I hate how much players are often judged simply on whether or not they ever won a championship. There are plenty of legends that it never worked out for for one reason or another. Was Melo quite as good as LeBron? No. But does Dwayne Wade ever win a championship if the Heat front office doesn't make moves to get Shaq or LeBron? I doubt it. What if Wade and Melo switch places? Does anything change?
I would add Charles Barkley to this list as well.

Great article. It's frustrating how positive articles on guys whose scripts followed differently than what people expect with their sports heroes (titles or near titles) seem to come post mortem( career or life).

Should be?

It's something positive in relationship to SU from Norlander. That in itself is a pretty massive event.

Usually he either leaves us unmentioned or throws shade.

I don't think it is at all. He was clear he will always be proud of what Kiyan does. He is making his goodbye a hello for the world to his son.
I get it, but at the same time I get it.

I am proud of you whatever you do...

passing the baton to you...

You are my legacy...

He is certainly a proud parent and I think there is a great deal of pressure, may not be intended but it's there.

Last edited:

He is certainly a proud parent and I think there is a great deal of pressure, may not be intended but it's there.

Maybe from a distant outside viewpoint sure. That said I think that's just a guess too. Melo doesn't seem the type that would make Kiyan part of it if he didn't want to.

IMG_3395.jpeg

Maybe from a distant outside viewpoint sure. That said I think that's just a guess too. Melo doesn't seem the type that would make Kiyan part of it if he didn't want to.
We are all guessing.

The video was shoot with a heavy focus on him talking about his legacy and introducing Kiyan as his legacy. It was created and published to be consumed by distance outside views. It is not him talking to Kiyan at the kitchen table at home. I think it adds pressure, may be Kiyan welcomes it.

That's the problem with NBA discourse that's been driven over the past two decades. Ring culture means everything.

You are my legacy...

That was my reaction to when I saw it. I am sure the kid is used to the pressure but still...

In a way by not winning any NBA titles, Carmelo and Syracuse will be more heavily linked in history together going forward.

There are many NBA players that I don't know where they went to college, what they accomplished in college or their college careers are very overshadowed by their NBA career.

For many fans, when Carmelo is talked about Syracuse will be the first thing they think of and that's cool with me.

That's the problem with NBA discourse that's been driven over the past two decades. Ring culture means everything.
Yeah. Jordan was the best player in the league prior to '90-'91. Even he needed changes made to the team before they could close the deal.

I don't think it's limited to basketball either. All the talk about Brady being the GOAT as if it can't be disputed is crazy. Football is the most team oriented sport, and I don't remember him lining up on defense which his head coach for most of them was a guru of. He's an all time great, but there are a number of QB's that would've won those same superbowls if they had swapped spots with him.

Number of championships is such a lazy way of judging a player if that's all you look at.

Yeah. Jordan was the best player in the league prior to '90-'91. Even he needed changes made to the team before they could close the deal.

I don't think it's limited to basketball either. All the talk about Brady being the GOAT as if it can't be disputed is crazy. Football is the most team oriented sport, and I don't remember him lining up on defense which his head coach for most of them was a guru of. He's an all time great, but there are a number of QB's that would've won those same superbowls if they had swapped spots with him.

Number of championships is such a lazy way of judging a player if that's all you look at.
MJ changed his game and started to win Championships when he got that 15 to 20 foot jumper down.
Then he became unguardable, and starting his run of Championships.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom