Carmelo officially retiring! | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo officially retiring!

Detroit clearly should have picked him for their own longevity (imo).

At the same time, I think Melo and Larry Brown may have actually gotten into a fistfight.
I don't know. He was young at that point. Winning helps a lot of things. If he wins under Brown, maybe he buys in to his style.

I don't know. He was young at that point. Winning helps a lot of things. If he wins under Brown, maybe he buys in to his style.

Very possible. His offensive toolbox was pretty full even as a rookie. It was still quite something how Melos arrival to this day spurred one of the biggest turnarounds in a single season. His first 3 years the team he had around him was a big woof.

Iverson was an interesting addition but even then until they put together that team in 08-09 it was pretty impressive they kept making the post season.

Very possible. His offensive toolbox was pretty full even as a rookie. It was still quite something how Melos arrival to this day spurred one of the biggest turnarounds in a single season. His first 3 years the team he had around him was a big woof.

Iverson was an interesting addition but even then until they put together that team in 08-09 it was pretty impressive they kept making the post season.
Melo should've won ROY, but the LeBron hype machine was already in full effect. And that's not to suggest LBJ didn't deserve it either.

Melo should've won ROY, but the LeBron hype machine was already in full effect. And that's not to suggest LBJ didn't deserve it either.
Their stats were pretty similar other than LeBron having significantly more assists, but Melo’s team made the playoffs in the more difficult West.

There was precedent for splitting the award, as Jason Kidd and Grant Hill shared it in ‘95. That’s probably what they should’ve done in ‘04.

Their stats were pretty similar other than LeBron having significantly more assists, but Melo’s team made the playoffs in the more difficult West.

There was precedent for splitting the award, as Jason Kidd and Grant Hill shared it in ‘95. That’s probably what they should’ve done in ‘04.
Agree.
I specifically remember LBJ at a Nuggets playoff game in Melo's rookie year, back when the NBA was still pushing Melo-LBJ as a Bird-Magic type rivalry. Splitting the award would've been a fair move- Melo's rookie year completely transformed that franchise. I believe at the time it was the 3rd best year-to-year turnaround in NBA history.

I should add that in 13/14, Melo finished runner-up for the scoring title. Just to reiterate, he was NOT ALL-NBA that year. In 2010/11, Melo finished third in scoring while adding 7.5 rebounds and 3 assists per game. Once again, not all-NBA. Like I said: asinine.

Had some free time today so I dug into this more. Interestingly, in the last 20 years there were two other instances of the scoring title runner-up not making all-NBA: Bradley Beal in 19/20 and James Harden in 15/16. Harden finished runner-up for the scoring title three straight seasons. I have no idea what happened with the middle one of those. He was first team all-NBA in 14/15 and had better stats across the board in 15/16 and didn’t make it at all. Then in 16/17 he was first team again. Strange.

i know it's a money business but man i wish he'd calculated into his negotiations the chances of playing for a team that could compete for a couple of championships. i wish our one of our greatest players ever could have got an NBA ring as well.

at his age he'd still lead this team in points and rebounds.

He was also an amazing fit for the NBA he entered into and it’s kind of a shame he wasn’t a few years younger. He stayed good the entire time but he was better suited to the league he joined than the Steph Curry 3 ball oriented one at the end.

Melo on the Pistons would have been amazing even having an elite player at the same position in Rasheed Wallace wouldn’t have mattered you find a way when your that good. Sure egos might have limited longevity.

He falls into the category of doing the most with the least thought as far as teammates go dragging lotto teams to the playoffs every year. He should have done a Lebron and gone to New York as a free agent and recruited a couple guys not let the Nugs strip their best assets.

He was also an amazing fit for the NBA he entered into and it’s kind of a shame he wasn’t a few years younger. He stayed good the entire time but he was better suited to the league he joined than the Steph Curry 3 ball oriented one at the end.

Melo on the Pistons would have been amazing even having an elite player at the same position in Rasheed Wallace wouldn’t have mattered you find a way when your that good. Sure egos might have limited longevity.

He falls into the category of doing the most with the least thought as far as teammates go dragging lotto teams to the playoffs every year. He should have done a Lebron and gone to New York as a free agent and recruited a couple guys not let the Nugs strip their best assets.
I wouldn’t say him and Sheed were the same position back then though. Melo eventually became more of a 4 later in his career. But at that point he was a pure SF. And Sheed was a PF who could play C.

Tayshaun Prince was the SF, and was a great defender and unsung part of those teams. But if they could’ve made it work with Carmelo in the mix…..they probably still win it in 04, and greatly extend their run and possibly win more than once. Carmelo was already an elite scorer in the league circa 2006-07 - imagine him with some veteran winners and elite defenders around him at that point?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom