Carmelo's biggest downfall | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo's biggest downfall

Adding to that if he does eventually get the ring he might be unique. Is there ANY bball player who has the trifecta? NCAA Championship, Olympic Gold Medal, and NBA championship?

Michael Jordan

Sorry, I'm just not willing to accept that the only coach in the history of basketball to win both an NBA and NCAA title, and to lead 8 different NBA teams to the playoffs, is an idiot.

Okay, so idiot is probably a bad word choice. Then again, looking at the fact that 1/3 of the top 12 players in that 2003 draft played last night and Darko wasn't close to being one of them, maybe not such a bad choice. No, stubborn, hard-headed, words like that were more along the lines of what I meant.

Adding to that if he does eventually get the ring he might be unique. Is there ANY bball player who has the trifecta? NCAA Championship, Olympic Gold Medal, and NBA championship?

My friend and I looked this up one day. i think something like 8 guys have done it? I know Magic Johnson did it as well. I think Melo might be the only one who has the potential to do it right now but I may be wrong. I believe Joe Dumars NOT Larry Brown was the one who picked up Darko. Hindsight is 20/20 I think Darko was the unanimous number 2 pick. I believe the Nuggets said as well they would have picked him up if they got that pick as well. It was a radically dumb pick but at the time didn't seem that way. It would have been interesting the future of the NBA had Dumars selected Melo, Bosh, or Wade, instead of Milicic. I think if they with Wade they could have had a dynasty going but who knows. Melo would have been a great sixth man on that team and probably the leading scorer but who knows.

Seven players have done it. Last column is the year they won the Olympics.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/18/tourney.file.2009/index.html

Clyde Lovellette Kansas (1952) Minneapolis Lakers (1954), Celtics (1964) 1952
Bill Russell San Fran. (1955, 1956) Celtics player (1957, 1959-66), Celtics coach (1968, '69) 1956
K.C. Jones San Fran. (1955) Celtics player (1959-66), Celtics coach (1986) 1956
Jerry Lucas Ohio State (1960) Knicks (1973) 1960
Quinn Buckner Indiana (1976) Celtics (1984) 1976
Magic Johnson Michigan State (1979) Lakers (1980, '82, '85, '87, '88) 1992
Michael Jordan North Carolina (1982) Bulls (1991-93, 1996-98)
1984, 1992

That list looked so clean and orderly before I posted it. Oh well, you all get the idea.

Sorry, I'm just not willing to accept that the only coach in the history of basketball to win both an NBA and NCAA title, and to lead 8 different NBA teams to the playoffs, is an idiot.

Some people (JB haters mostly) like to say that JB can thank Carmelo for his title. Based on that logic, LB can thank Danny Manning for his.

Larry Brown is by no means an idiot, but he is too stubborn and pompous for his own good. It cost him a Gold Medal in 2004. I would say he did a worse job with that team than Big John did with the '88 team. I find it hard to believe that Carmelo couldn't have made that Piston's team better. Milicic hardly contributed to them and was injured most of the time.

Some people (JB haters mostly) like to say that JB can thank Carmelo for his title. Based on that logic, LB can thank Danny Manning for his.

Larry Brown is by no means an idiot, but he is too stubborn and pompous for his own good. It cost him a Gold Medal in 2004. I would say he did a worse job with that team than Big John did with the '88 team. I find it hard to believe that Carmelo couldn't have made that Piston's team better. Milicic hardly contributed to them and was injured most of the time.
Talent wise it's no question that Melo>>>Darko.

The Pistons were nasty team that played tough as nails D and spread the ball around and had 4 perimeter threats in the starting lineup. Melo needs the ball in his hands and isn't the most willing passer in the world; not to mention his D is no where NEAR Tayshaun Princes'. I just don't think he fit what the Pistons were about at all.