Carrier Dome Best Football Venue | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Carrier Dome Best Football Venue

Love the dome. If you are ever in New Orleans and get a chance to watch a Saints game please take it. Was in town for a conference about three weeks ago when they played Carolina on Sunday night. The dome is in the city so was able to walk from the hotel. They have this street of champions with vendors and a pep rally type atmosphere. Was absolutely awesome. Its been awhile since things were like that at the dome but to compare it to a cuse game I would put the experience a notch below what the dome was like for Donovan's last game. And that was the greatest football watching experience I have ever been a part of.

Watching a good football game in the Dome (when it is near capacity) is like watching a big game in your family room with a dozen other great fans on a big screen, high def tv. Watching a game at a place like Michgan's stadium with 110,000 fans is like watching a the same game on a 20-inch tv. Yes there are more people, but that doesn't always translate into a better experience. The Dome is high def, because every seat is right on top of have field, everyone has a great view.

Note to the original poster. This not saying at Michigan or Tennessee or PSU or Ohio state don't have great traditions that make their games great. Just that the Dome When it is full is great in a different way.

He must be related to the Minny stats girl that ignored all stats from the modern era. Reading comprehension is one issue, continually moving goalposts when things don't go their way is another.

They just make Syracuse fans want to win the game even more.

Over at GopherHole...some doofus named PitinosLoveSpawn os something like that...quoted this litany of Minnesota Hyperbole how thy have more NBA players in the 1st round, scoring 10kpts or more, more drafted, etc...I checked 3 of his listed things which Minnesota was to be better than Cuse in Hoops and 2 of them were wrong (outright lies). I spent 10 mins googling it and quit after that...the guy was spewing crap. AFter next week it doesn't matter. We'll at least be nationally elite in one major sport and they won't be in either one.

ub_display_image.jpg

Can't beat this!

:bat::rolling:

ub_display_image.jpg

Can't beat this!
And this is the best that NYS has to offer? :)

Remove the track & add a video board and you'd have a Texas high school stadium.

And this is the best that NYS has to offer? :)

Remove the track & add a video board and you'd have a Texas high school stadium.
New York's football stadium!

Moontan said:
At some point when the Carrier Dome's land is needed for academic purposes and the Dome needs to be replaced, we hope for a new domed stadium on south campus. It would incorporate the latest & greatest as well as incorporate all that's been learned from the current facility. A retractable would be nice, but likely too expensive.

Not too many SU fans understand or believe this.

Not too many SU fans understand or believe this.

How does one make a not in our lifetime bet? Because if there's a way...SU is trying to scrape the money together for four walls and a cheap roof for an IPF, yet a state or the art domed stadium in debt ridden NYS is gonna happen?

SU is trying to scrape the money together for four walls and a cheap roof for an IPF, yet a state or the art domed stadium in debt ridden NYS is gonna happen?
The AD is trying to fund the IPF. The University still believes that the IPF is a luxury item. They now realize that it's a necessary evil, but it's prioritized as a luxury item.

If the University (and the BoT) really wants to use the last available location on the quad for academic purposes then it'll do what it takes.

Last edited:
A couple things: Cuse has the land and the political capital to make it happen

1. Using South Campus is likely but I could see a spot near Destiny/Fairgrounds as a dark horse spot. The Destiny/Fairgrounds Area would have to include the state funds and Congel involvement.

2. A new stadium will need Interstate access, retail, lodging (and student housing??)

If it is put near south campus I sure hope light rail is involved to connect south campus, main campus, downtown, Destiny and the airport. The railroad is there...and would only need to be extended to the northern suburbs and airport.

Bayside44 said:
How does one make a not in our lifetime bet? Because if there's a way...SU is trying to scrape the money together for four walls and a cheap roof for an IPF, yet a state or the art domed stadium in debt ridden NYS is gonna happen?

If it doesn't happen in our lifetime then I'll join and donate to the tea party.

OburgOrange said:
How realistic is this? Honestly?

Very.

It almost happened 5-6 years ago. It's as much for academic reasons as it is for an athletic facility.

Very.

It almost happened 5-6 years ago. It's as much for academic reasons as it is for an athletic facility.

Yup the Dome sits on very valuable land...also Syracuse has to build a Dome as two structures is more costly and the Dome is what made us a regional power in hoops to a national brand.

A couple things: Cuse has the land and the political capital to make it happen

1. Using South Campus is likely but I could see a spot near Destiny/Fairgrounds as a dark horse spot. The Destiny/Fairgrounds Area would have to include the state funds and Congel involvement.

2. A new stadium will need Interstate access, retail, lodging (and student housing??)

If it is put near south campus I sure hope light rail is involved to connect south campus, main campus, downtown, Destiny and the airport. The railroad is there...and would only need to be extended to the northern suburbs and airport.

What's the political capital for a billion dollar job? Unless SU is sitting on a hidden fracking site and Cuomo sees the light...

What's the political capital for a billion dollar job? Unless SU is sitting on a hidden fracking site and Cuomo sees the light...
Billion Dollars? I'm figuring half that...remember the Dome will seat about 50k and the land very well could be owned by the school already.

Billion Dollars? I'm figuring half that...remember the Dome will seat about 50k and the land very well could be owned by the school already.

Roads, infrastructure...it's NYS, ain't exactly going to the lowest bidder either.

Even so, don't see where the money and will come from.

Capt. Tuttle said:
I heard a new economics building is slated for the Dome's footprint.

Would not be surprised.