Carter-Williams | Syracusefan.com

Carter-Williams

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2012/12/syracuse_basketball_guard_mich.html

Syracuse University basketball player Michael Carter-Williams was seen shoplifting from Lord & Taylor at Destiny USA late Sunday afternoon and paid the store a $500 fine to settle the matter, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

Carter-Williams put a bathrobe and gloves into a backpack while in a fitting room, both sources said.

According to one of the sources, store security saw Carter-Williams go into a fitting room with merchandise and a backpack and then leave the fitting room without the merchandise visible. The activity was captured on the store’s security video, the source said.

The security staff at Lord & Taylor detained Carter-Williams as he left the store on the second level of the mall.

The security staffer handcuffed Carter-Williams on the escalator. Photos of Carter-Williams and a plain-clothes security officer circulated on Twitter within minutes of the episode.

Both sources said Carter-Williams signed a form acknowledging the theft and paid the fine with his credit card. The store did not call police and he was not charged.

On Tuesday, Carter-Williams, a sophomore point guard for the No. 4 Orange, told The Post-Standard “the whole thing was really a misunderstanding.” He declined to explain the misunderstanding.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim repeated that Friday.

“It’s a misunderstanding,” Boeheim said. “That’s what I was told by Michael. Michael has told me exactly all he needs to tell me. It’s his private business. He settled it. I’ve got to respect that.

“I don’t know what information you have,” Boeheim said. “Unless the store comes to me, my hands are tied.”

Boeheim declined to make Carter-Williams available Friday. “He’s said all he’s going to say,” Boeheim said.

Lord & Taylor’s loss prevention manager, Greg Campbell, declined comment when reached Friday afternoon.

A mall security official says Lord & Taylor’s handling of the matter was typical.

Syracuse police are called to Destiny 300 to 400 times a year to charge people with petty larceny for shoplifting, said Tim Erwin, director of security at the mall. But most shoplifting cases never get that far, he said.

If the shoplifter is cooperative and admits stealing merchandise, a store’s loss prevention officer usually offers to settle the matter with a “civil demand,” Erwin said. He was speaking generally and not about the Carter-Williams case, which mall security was not involved in.

Loss prevention officers can’t stop someone unless they’ve witnessed the larceny, either on video or in person, Erwin said. They can’t detain someone only on the grounds that they’d seen him come into the store with an empty backpack and leave with a full backpack, he said.

Carter-Williams admitted that he stole $120 worth of merchandise, according to one source. The items included a Polo Ralph Lauren bathrobe priced at $85 and a pair of Polo Ralph Lauren gloves valued at $35.

Lord & Taylor’s store policy dictates how to deal with shoplifters, according to one source. In most cases, the police are not called. Instead, a person who admits to shoplifting must pay a civil fine. The fine is five times the value of the merchandise with a cap at $500. When the fine is paid, the accused is released. Shoplifters are not allowed to keep the merchandise.

Since the value of the merchandise that Carter-Williams is alleged to have taken was more than $100, he paid $500, according to one source.

Carter-Williams is also banned from entering any Lord & Taylor store for the next two years, one source said. The store photographed Carter-Williams.

Mike Waters is on Upon Further Review right now, Said it was a bathrobe and gloves. $100 in merch.

By the way, when calling Upon Further Review to play a trivia game, make sure to dial the number right... Found out today that 473 7644 is the US Marshalls office, and they dont have a trivia game.

"According to one of the sources, store security saw Carter-Williams go into a fitting room with merchandise and a backpack and then leave the fitting room without the merchandise visible. The activity was captured on the store’s security video, the source said."

So basically EVERYTHING that was suggested as fact on this board was total .

"According to one of the sources, store security saw Carter-Williams go into a fitting room with merchandise and a backpack and then leave the fitting room without the merchandise visible. The activity was captured on the store’s security video, the source said."

So basically EVERYTHING that was suggested as fact on this board was total .
what's new

A $500 fine and he can't even keep the bathrobe and gloves? WHO IS THE REAL CRIMINAL?!?!

HAHA...seriously I just read that thinking...wow, what a great scam. Vegas and AC would even nod in approval.

Don't steal from L & T's, dummies.

Waters said that most stores deal with this stuff in house, fines range from 3 to 5 times the amount of what was stolen. $500 cap

this is basically a shakedown operation - pay us $500 to keep your record clean. now, it is his fault for putting himself in a position where they could shake him down, but this "civil fine" is just a pay off.

crime doesn't pay, Michael - unless you are on the other side of the cameras.

Doesn't look like JB is inclined to suspend/punish him, despite a good deal of evidence.

Doesn't look like JB is inclined to suspend/punish him, despite a good deal of evidence.
which, likely, will yield some fun columns to read in the coming weeks and some entertaining press conferences to behold.

such a moron, hes gonna have more money than he'll know what to do with in less than a year, and hes gonna freakin shoplift.

I guess we can chalk it up to being foolish at a young age. Like ten years ago me and my friend drove in his car to a SU bball game, he took the ezpass lanes at the exits there and back with no ezpass thingy and once we got to the game he got a parking ticket near the dome and just threw it on the ground when we left lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say for sure he's not going to be suspended until 7 PM tomorrow.

Can the judicial board suspend him? I cant imagine no punishment for pr sake if nothing else.

such a moron, hes gonna have more money than he'll know what to do with in less than a year, and hes gonna freakin shoplift.
Frikkin guy could have bought the entire store in a year.

I just didn't want to believe this crap. Not this year.

Can the judicial board suspend him? I cant imagine no punishment for pr sake if nothing else.
“It’s a misunderstanding. That’s what I was told by Michael. Michael has told me exactly all he needs to tell me. It’s his private business. He settled it. I’ve got to respect that. I don’t know what information you have. Unless the store comes to me, my hands are tied.” - Boeheim

I think the Judicial Board is in the same situation. You can't discipline someone because of what two anonymous sources say in the newspaper. If L&T gave statements against MCW to the University, it would be a different story. It's a civil matter, not a criminal matter.

“It’s a misunderstanding. That’s what I was told by Michael. Michael has told me exactly all he needs to tell me. It’s his private business. He settled it. I’ve got to respect that. I don’t know what information you have. Unless the store comes to me, my hands are tied.” - Boeheim

I think the Judicial Board is in the same situation. You can't discipline someone because of what two anonymous sources say in the newspaper. If L&T gave statements against MCW to the University, it would be a different story. It's a civil matter, not a criminal matter.

What was Hunt's punishment last year?

If L&T isn't talking, and isn't pressing charges, how exactly can he be suspended from the team? Especially if the sources are anonymous and can't be cross-examined?