Cast of characters who make up the SU sports experience | Syracusefan.com

Cast of characters who make up the SU sports experience

Eric15

Living Legend
The passing of Eli got me thinking of all the cast of characters over the years who make up the SU sports experience.

Off the top of my head:

-Dome Ranger (prior years)
-Dome Knitter (prior years)
-Older gentleman with the orange blazer who used to sit next to the visiting bench for years. I was never quite clear what he did, but he always seemed nice.
-Eli (RIP)
-Loud religious guy with the bullhorn
-Lady who has worked at Varsity Pizza forever
-Guy who has sold programs in the Dome in the Eagles McNabb jersey for years (drawing a blank on his name)
-Scalper on the corner of Marshall and Crouse who has been there for every SU game that I can remember
-Expo$edoe (local rapper who visits football tailgates to tell you about his new album)
-Recently, Adam Weitsman

There has to be many more...

The passing of Eli got me thinking of all the cast of characters over the years who make up the SU sports experience.

Off the top of my head:

-Older gentleman with the orange blazer who used to sit next to the visiting bench for years. I was never quite clear what he did, but he always seemed nice.

-Guy who has sold programs in the Dome in the Eagles McNabb jersey for years (drawing a blank on his name)

Dome Eddie?

1586383688785.png

Harry (orange blazer guy, died a couple years ago) and Hawker Joe were not so coincidentally both pretty regular members of SU's traveling group for road games back in the late '60s and '70s, from what I'm told.

When I was there - mid 80’s - there was also Spare Change Guy, who hung out around M Street.

We’d joke that, at the end of his evening shift, he’d walk a few blocks away, hop in his Mercedes, and drive home to his big house around the block from Boeheim. :p

When I was there - mid 80’s - there was also Spare Change Guy, who hung out around M Street.

We’d joke that, at the end of his evening shift, he’d walk a few blocks away, hop in his Mercedes, and drive home to his big house around the block from Boeheim. :p

He had been there as recently as 5 years ago too.

I believe his full name was Spare Change Doyle.

Met Joe when I first moved to Syracuse in 84, riding on CENTRO... He was so passionate about SU and would talk non stop about sports... always had a bunch of newspapers folded under his arm! Really nice guy, although he kinda scared me at first (I was 15)..

Harry, the usher-type guy in the orange blazer in the corner was working SU games when I still lived in Syracuse 40 years ago. In later years when I got to a game, I always made it a point to go down and say hello. RIP, Harry.

The best pizza-maker in the history of the world was also there when I lived in Syracuse. She still remembered me when I went to the Varsity, but I have not seen her lately.

Harry, the usher-type guy in the orange blazer in the corner was working SU games when I still lived in Syracuse 40 years ago. In later years when I got to a game, I always made it a point to go down and say hello. RIP, Harry.

The best pizza-maker in the history of the world was also there when I lived in Syracuse. She still remembered me when I went to the Varsity, but I have not seen her lately.

Oh, Ellie is still around and doing well. She's usually working earlier in the day, so she misses everyone who's there for night or weekend games. But if you walk by the window mid-morning, you'll see her in there twirling the dough.

Oh, Ellie is still around and doing well. She's usually working earlier in the day, so she misses everyone who's there for night or weekend games. But if you walk by the window mid-morning, you'll see her in there twirling the dough.
Well, I live in Brockport, about 1 3/4 hr from SU. I will be moving to Asheville, NC this summer but had planned to visit Syracuse and get Varsity pizza before I go. That plan is up in the air now.

If its a big game CuseTroop

Not @ the Dome but at the Harveys Lake Tahoe sports book there is a Syracuse fan who is in there 24/7 watching games always wearing a Syracuse shirt and going back 20 years to when I went there as a kid in HS he taught me a ton about college hoops. Tipped me off to how good a coach Bruce Pearl was at Wiscy-Mil and that would have been his first season in 2002 so I won on them consistently until he left for UT. Hes still going but sadly totally lost his fastball I watched the Georgia Tech game with him earlier this year. Remember he didn't think we'd get a bid in 2016 on selection Sunday but was optimistic for next year.

One of my friends had an usher job so I could look for open bleacher seats during games during school.

Non human things parking for free on Ackerman or Lancaster. 4 Dome Foams at a time so only one person has to make a run. Blue curtain / kind of wishing it would return but understanding why it doesn't make sense to block a replay board. PEE TROUGHS.

There was always a guy who was from CBA Gary Barnaba, who used to always sit behind or near SU’s basketball bench. I don’t think I’ve seen him lately.

Not an SU figure but definitely a Syracuse figure. Jim Durkin, who sold programs at Chiefs games. "Get your lucky signature programs! You're next!" You could hear him from the far ends of the parking lot. Prior to that I think he was the beer guy but that was when I was in high school...

Awesome guy... I used to see him at Crunch and Silver Knight games as well

Not an SU figure but definitely a Syracuse figure. Jim Durkin, who sold programs at Chiefs games. "Get your lucky signature programs! You're next!" You could hear him from the far ends of the parking lot. Prior to that I think he was the beer guy but that was when I was in high school...

Awesome guy... I used to see him at Crunch and Silver Knight games as well

Definitely - he had such a loud distinctive voice. Very much a fixture at the Chiefs etc. Sadly he passed away in 2017.
1587179980890.jpeg