Catching Up With the Commits, Week 2 | Syracusefan.com

Catching Up With the Commits, Week 2

You don't see stat lines like this too often. Half Hollow Hills West (1-0) running back DeVante McFarlane ran the ball 17 times for 277 yards and 4 touchdowns, and threw for an additional touchdown in a 34-14 win over Smithtown West.

I am in love with this kid. I can't wait to watch him run the ball next year.

You don't see stat lines like this too often. Half Hollow Hills West (1-0) running back DeVante McFarlane ran the ball 17 times for 277 yards and 4 touchdowns, and threw for an additional touchdown in a 34-14 win over Smithtown West.

I am in love with this kid. I can't wait to watch him run the ball next year.

Okey so I realize that 40 times arnt everything so don't jump on me for pointing this out but I checked out devantes testing results and it says he runs a 4.75 which is not fast enough to play running back at the D1 level soo I think hes probably going to end up on D. But ya never know some people have a certain set of intangibles that can not be tested which helps them ball up when they're on the field.. Ex. Marcus sales not being a good practice guy but a burner on gameday

Okey so I realize that 40 times arnt everything so don't jump on me for pointing this out but I checked out devantes testing results and it says he runs a 4.75 which is not fast enough to play running back at the D1 level soo I think hes probably going to end up on D. But ya never know some people have a certain set of intangibles that can not be tested which helps them ball up when they're on the field.. Ex. Marcus sales not being a good practice guy but a burner on gameday

You really think he runs a 4.75? If he really ran that I doubt he would be a highly regarded recruit.

Whigham had two more picks this week as well.....

There is video from this summer of DeVante vs David Perkins in a 1:1 drill. NO WAY he is a 4.75 guy... The kid just explodes... Only gets faster as he develops lower body..

Poncho Barnwell had 12 tackles and 2 sacks in a win this weekend.

Can't believe you pulled off an article considering the significance of today's date hahah

I did it between classes. I'm now drinking and cracking away at a couple of 2500 word articles for this year's Orange Tip-Off Mag. Deadlines are a bitch.

Good info - so how many spots left to fill? Any specific need we are still looking for?

You really think he runs a 4.75? If he really ran that I doubt he would be a highly regarded recruit.

Who knows? No doubt as these kids mature they'll get stronger and faster, maybe he's faster then a 4.75 now maybe he's not. A slow 40 time isn't the end all be all when being evaluated as a football player, you can still be highly regarded and run a slow 40.

Who knows? No doubt as these kids mature they'll get stronger and faster, maybe he's faster then a 4.75 now maybe he's not. A slow 40 time isn't the end all be all when being evaluated as a football player, you can still be highly regarded and run a slow 40.

Just go search for some video clips on him. He is most certainly not even close to having 4.75 forty time.

It has to be old or just plain false... i thought it was said that the kid put up the best overall testing numbers at the PSU camp he was at before committing to us, and that was in fact why we were so lucky he committed before the storm of offers started to roll in. If this is all true, a RB running like a DE just doesn't sound right.

Great job on this Dan.

Ranked out as far as my excitement goes, Brantley, Whigham, and Cornelius are my 1-3 guys. Just insane players, and guys that will have to be guarded closely to avoid the flip.

Not too far behind are the quartet of Barnwell, McFarlane, Ford, and Owens... and to me, that is why I like this class so much. By the end of the year I could see any of those guys jumping into my top-3. And hell, that's without mentioning three-star guys like Palmer, Knapp, and Parris.

Appreciate you taking the time to do this since its easy to lose track of commits during the season. Obviously youve got more on your plate as well but still found/made the time.

As for the 4.75 40 time... could very well be a correct time in a sea of padded times. I'm fairly certain that most HS kids listed as 4.4 are probably mid 4.6 or 4.7s. i always go back to the NFL combine numbers.. top athletes with years of college work outs and you see alot more 4.5s and 4.6s than 4.4s despite most of those kids being listed as faster out of HS. 4.4 40's usually are track guys as well which equates to a sub 10.8 100 meter. We had 2 in all divisions in my HS league. One ended up at Michigan State, other at Nova. Kobena MIGHT have been a 4.4 guy out of High School, any others we know have that are that fast have found it sometime after they got on campus.

Here's the goods on McFarlane from the State Penn camp.

http://rise.espn.go.com/football/articles/2011/04/30-Penn-State-NFTC-All-Camp.aspx?pursuit=Football

RB: Devante McFarlane, 5-11.5, 188, Half Hollow Hills West (Dix Hills, N.Y.)
McFarlane came out of nowhere to dominate and take home RB MVP honors Saturday. Could also be recruited and end up at safety in college, but has a good lean frame that could eventually carry 200-210 pounds should he stay at RB in college. Was very stout in pass protection drills but also elusive with the ball in his hands and a tough cover. Currently has offers from Vanderbilt and Buffalo but look for more schools to come in shortly.
FWIW the other RB named to the all camp team (Derrick Green) clocked a 4.58 40 and is listed on the ESPN Top 150 watchlist.

Each DM class has gotten better than the one before. This one, even as it stands today, is going to be a very good one.