Class of 2017 - CB Devin Butler (ND Grad Transfer) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 CB Devin Butler (ND Grad Transfer) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Just one. Once the eligibility clock starts, it doesn't stop.

Same thing happened to Marcus Sales.

Interesting -- he committed back in November.

He and Frederick will make a more physically imposing tandem of CBs than what we've had. Good physical attributes for the tampa 2 base system.

Honestly, the Felony Battery is concerning. Bar fight, eh, not so much. I get it, you never want your guys involved with that, but, it happens so much at that age. Not exactly an event that makes me think he's a terrible fit.

The former Washington (DC) Gonzaga four-star recruit, who signed with the Fighting Irish in the class of 2013, has decided to leave South Bend and get a fresh start elsewhere.

Butler tells Irish247 that his next stop will be Syracuse, a school he actually committed to in November.

The former Washington (DC) Gonzaga four-star recruit, who signed with the Fighting Irish in the class of 2013, has decided to leave South Bend and get a fresh start elsewhere.

Butler tells Irish247 that his next stop will be Syracuse, a school he actually committed to in November.
Winfield saw writing?

Honestly, the Felony Battery is concerning. Bar fight, eh, not so much. I get it, you never want your guys involved with that, but, it happens so much at that age. Not exactly an event that makes me think he's a terrible fit.

The "felony" battery charge seems to be because he shoved or grappled an officer in the middle of the scrum. Butler claimed to be trying to break up the fight [as opposed to one of the participants], and pull some of his teammates away. Who knows what actually happened, but the fact that the charge got reduced suggests that he probably didn't actively take a swing at the cop.

Last edited:
The "felony" battery charge seems to be because he shoved or grappled an officer in the middle of the scrum. Butler claimed to be trying to break up the fight [as opposed to one of the participants]. Who knows what actually happened, but the fact that the charge got reduced suggests that he probably didn't actively take a swing at the cop.
I was going to say the same thing. He was never prosecuted for the felony charges, so there's something to that.

I was going to say the same thing. He was never prosecuted for the felony charges, so there's something to that.

To be clear: I'm not trying to rationalize it away -- I'm just going off of what was stated in the article about him transferring. The article listed out his formal apology to the officer, and it seemed more like misconstrued / in wrong place at wrong time type of charge, since he was nominally "involved" in the scrum.

To be clear: I'm not trying to rationalize it away -- I'm just going off of what was stated in the article about him transferring. The article listed out his formal apology to the officer, and it seemed more like misconstrued / in wrong place at wrong time type of charge, since he was nominally "involved" in the scrum.
And I'm agreeing on legal matters, not the rationale behind it.

We traded Winfield for Butler. Our coaches had a plan. I am glad Corey Winfield got his degree as it appears it was a split our coaches probably pushed.
This kid has upside at one of our 2 biggest needs. Hope he has 2 years but even if it's one then oh well worth the gamble.

I normally am the one who doesn't want the player that gets into trouble, however anything could have happened during this incident. They wouldn't have let him take a plea if he beat up the officers involved.

My guess is that he didn't stop fighting when the police arrived while they were trying to break it up. It happens all the time. The kid apologized afterwards. stuff happens when we are 18-19 year old college kids. Good kid thst made a dumb mistake and wants a second chance. You can tell he isn't a bad kid by the way he communicates. I am glad we added him.

First base, Devin Butler. Second base, Devin Butler. Third base, Devin Butler. Shortstop, Devin Butler.

ff1045-baseball-bugs.jpg