Class of 2017 - CB Devin Butler (ND Grad Transfer) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 CB Devin Butler (ND Grad Transfer) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

I normally am the one who doesn't want the player that gets into trouble, however anything could have happened during this incident. They wouldn't have let him take a plea if he beat up the officers involved.

My guess is that he didn't stop fighting when the police arrived while they were trying to break it up. It happens all the time. The kid apologized afterwards. stuff happens when we are 18-19 year old college kids. Good kid thst made a dumb mistake and wants a second chance. You can tell he isn't a bad kid by the way he communicates. I am glad we added him.
Police officers who were at the bar for an unrelated call saw the scuffle and approached the women. At the same time, police have said, Butler approached and shoved one of the women. When officers ordered Butler to get back, they said, he angrily confronted them, leading to a struggle. By the time officers subdued Butler, both women were gone.

I would say this completely takes the sting off of Winfield leaving. I hope this isn't the last of the high profile Grad transfers, would love to see a couple more capable of enrolling in January at key positions.

We traded Winfield for Butler. Our coaches had a plan. I am glad Corey Winfield got his degree as it appears it was a split our coaches probably pushed.
This kid has upside at one of our 2 biggest needs. Hope he has 2 years but even if it's one then oh well worth the gamble.

My guess is they knew Butler was transferring and told Winfield his playing time was going to go down as a result.

The "felony" battery charge seems to be because he shoved or grappled an officer in the middle of the scrum. Butler claimed to be trying to break up the fight [as opposed to one of the participants], and pull some of his teammates away. Who knows what actually happened, but the fact that the charge got reduced suggests that he probably didn't actively take a swing at the cop.

His girlfriend was fighting another girl. Butler tried to break it up. South Bend Police showed up and arrested him. He shoved a cop in the process.

Is he healed up yet from his foot injury?
^^^^ this is the key in my opinion... like the potential of this pickup but would have preferred it didn't come with foot injury history... cautiously optimistic...do any of the articles touch on games missed due to injury?

My guess is they knew Butler was transferring and told Winfield his playing time was going to go down as a result.

How could they possibly have known that a player who didn't even play in 2016 was better than their current starter ? I'm not saying he isn't at the end of the day but not sure how the staff could have made that judgment in season (kid says he committed back in Nov.). Lord knows we need all of the help we can get on D.

Interesting pickup. Watched a fair amount of ND football the in his three seasons always thought he had some nice potential. Was always a bit surprised he wasn't more involved in the starting mix defensively. Not saying I know what SU got here, but certainly didn't look like a stiff. Definitely worth the gamble.

As for whatever happened off the field I'll say this: To a large extent ND takes this stuff seriously. Everyone here will bring up the rape case from the late 90s or early '00s which is fine but this is a program that suspended it's starting QB (Golson) fresh off going to the title game and then suspended it's best hoops player (jerian Grant) I believe basically the next season -- both due to academics. They've also kicked kids off teams for bar fights and other stuff. They don't, as a general rule, put up with the ridiculous behavior that many other schools do put up with. All of that is to say that I would have to believe that if they truly believed Butler was a bad kid or was swinging at cops and committing felonies, I don't think they'd let him hang around. Take it for what it's worth.

^^^^ this is the key in my opinion... like the potential of this pickup but would have preferred it didn't come with foot injury history... cautiously optimistic...do any of the articles touch on games missed due to injury?
Only a one year gamble...granted we lost Winfield but hopefully we are going to be upgrading the DBs

Cop had it coming*

* Things I probably wouldn't have said yesterday.
Just a great post. I am going to steal that line with a B.C. fan I know!

How could they possibly have known that a player who didn't even play in 2016 was better than their current starter ? I'm not saying he isn't at the end of the day but not sure how the staff could have made that judgment in season (kid says he committed back in Nov.). Lord knows we need all of the help we can get on D.

/shrugs/ maybe his three previous years on film showed more than what they were getting from Winfield and what his potential for next year was.

I'm assuming coaches do exit interviews with all of the players after the end of each season (Bams and bcubs may refute this). Winfield's abrupt departure indicates to me that he was told his playing time would be decreased. Coincide that with Butler's transfer shortly after and it doesn't take much to connect the dots.

Listen I think tbe coaches knew what they had and what could be back and decided this guy was the better option. I think after Amba-Etta Tawu the coaches have earned that rope.
Syracuse did right by Winfield he got a degree in his 4 years and will get to play 1 more year probably closer to home.

Not a huge statement saying butler is an upgrade. Winfield transitioned from WR a few years ago to CB. A move he made for the good of the team. He did his best, but not his natural position.

So it sounds like he got in trouble one night in a bar because he was defending his girl.

Meanwhile he's got his degree in 3 1/2 years.

That's not a problem, that's character.

Regarding Winfield transferring out due to Butler transferring in -

This seems to assume that Winfield isn't talented enough/fast enough/experienced enough to hold on to the other CB spot, which is a little surprising to me.
Who was Winfield's threat to playing time? Who is taking over the other CB spot, across from Butler?