CBB will change dramatically | Syracusefan.com

CBB will change dramatically

How do tv contracts, recruiting and fan interest change when the top high school prospects play for pay and colleges are recruiting "the best of the rest" who aren't NBA ready or NBA caliber?

That's my only worry here.
yeah I hear you - could definitely diminish the "flash" quality of cbb - but long run I think it will bring the overall quality back up, as there will be more cohesive teams with more veteran players - I think it will lead to more consistent "solid" play at the possible expense of an abundance of "highlight" play

Not to get all political, but I would think Obama would be more in favor of having these kids go the college route so they might be more prepared for life instead of flaming out by the age of 30 with no post high school education on their resume.
Does one year of college...let's be real, one semester, really prepare you for much of anything? The article states life preparedness would be part of the NBA academies.

Last edited:
yeah I hear you - could definitely diminish the "flash" quality of cbb - but long run I think it will bring the overall quality back up, as there will be more cohesive teams with more veteran players - I think it will lead to more consistent "solid" play at the possible expense of an abundance of "highlight" play
True. You'd still have some NBA caliber late bloomers and name recognition would be much higher when you have kids who get "tourney famous" all coming back for the next year, and year after.

An NBA minor league would only skim off the cream of the crop. It wouldn't substantially change the quality of play at most schools, but it would greatly increase the fans' recognition of star collegiate players. But, would the NBA market their minor league at the expense of college BB?

Does one year of college...let's be real, one semester, really prepare you for much of anything? The article states life preparedness would be part of the NBA academies.
Is the NBA going to partner with the University of Phoenix to get these kids college credits. Once their pro careers are over, if they want to go into coaching at the high school or college level, they need that degree. I believe Devo is finishing up now, so he can hopefully become an assistant coach (at Cuse or elsewhere).

I know these kids all have big dreams but how many become busts and watch their money go down the drain. None are going to get rich in the G league. I have definitely mixed feelings on this but maybe make it a mandatory two year hitch in college. At least they can be half way to a degree. College is not for everyone but if they want to be really concerned about these kids then they should be concerned enough to get them a degree. It's tough for kids not interested in an education or not willing to work for it.

An NBA minor league would only skim off the cream of the crop. It wouldn't substantially change the quality of play at most schools, but it would greatly increase the fans' recognition of star collegiate players. But, would the NBA market their minor league at the expense of college BB?

Let them. I am a Syracuse University basketball fan. I want to see Syracuse and whoever happens to put the uniform on play. If a few guys skip college and go directly to the minor leagues it isn't going to change my desire to see SU games.

Last edited:
This is what I hope, as well. Make college basketball COLLEGE basketball. I want players who will stay 3-4 years and we can get to know them, watch them develop (or not), and feel that sense of pride in “our” team. Yes, we will miss out on a Carmelo but we’re not entirely sure of that. These kids who leave early often look back on their college playing days as the Best time of their lives. Maybe some would come to college anyway, but undoubtedly the stellar players will prefer to apprentice in their new hoped for career, rather than go do something they have no real interest in: college. Hey, it ain’t for everyone!

The baseball model is coming without help from the NCAA.

NBA will get rid of the one and done but will force kids who don’t go pro out of HS to wait 2-3 years to become eligible for the draft.

Kids who go pro will get drafted and play in the NBA-D-League on 2 way contracts.

So if you declare and aren’t ready get ready for the D-League bus trips.

Doesn't matter...it will be basically a glorified D League with younger players. These games will be NBA TV fodder for the most part.

Doesn't matter...it will be basically a glorified D League with younger players. These games will be NBA TV fodder for the most part.
Agreed. The Deandre Ayton's and Michael Porters would go straight to the NBA. A G League made up of Shai Gilgeous Alexanders isn't competing with CBB.

How do tv contracts, recruiting and fan interest change when the top high school prospects play for pay and colleges are recruiting "the best of the rest" who aren't NBA ready or NBA caliber?

Doubt there are many ready for the NBA out of high school.

cbb would be fine, just like when kids were allowed to jump directly in the past

nothing would really change, except for some names

I think a lot would jump for the paycheck though. (A G League paycheck is better than playing for free in college)

They always could have gone to the G League (and D) out of high school.

How will we react when Bazley goes pro this year instead of a year at the Cuse?

They always could have gone to the G League (and D) out of high school.
The NBA looks like it will set up a league/academies specifically for high school to pro player development with pay. That's different than what we have now.

Players also see one and done in college as a better platform to jump to the NBA. When that become 3 years minimum at a college, that changes things.

I think a lot would jump for the paycheck though. (A G League paycheck is better than playing for free in college)

in the near term, the low pay (much lower than some schools are paying) and obscurity of the d-league may keep these kids away from declaring if they aren't really ready. if the NBA turns the g-league into something it really could be with escalated pay & exposure it could become an exciting and very viable alternative. again though, cbb would be fine.

they should also let the high school kids go through the same draft process as college kids get to do now.