CBB will change dramatically | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

CBB will change dramatically

in the near term, the low pay (much lower than some schools are paying) and obscurity of the d-league may keep these kids away from declaring if they aren't really ready. if the NBA turns the g-league into something it really could be with escalated pay & exposure it could become an exciting and very viable alternative. again though, cbb would be fine.

they should also let the high school kids go through the same draft process as college kids get to do now.
Key point...Shark58 hit it. A kid in college can build his brand playing on ESPN/CBS/March Madness. That is worth something and will help with endorsements and initial name recognition among NBA fans.

Key point...Shark58 hit it. A kid in college can build his brand playing on ESPN/CBS/March Madness. That is worth something and will help with endorsements and initial name recognition among NBA fans.

its possible the g-league could become somewhat high profile, but it will take years to build and market correctly.

a thought I read somewhere about the current fbi/pay s-show in the cbb/aau world suggested that either the NBA or USA Basketball should take over the AAU circuit, which isn't a bad idea. maybe it should be expanded to include a pay option for players who don't want to go college.

USAB could take over the summer leagues and after a player is HS graduation age there could be a paid league where they an play up until 21.

A new start up league sponsored by USAB, and coordinated a bit with the NBA, could actually generate some buzz fairly quickly.

The quality of play in college basketball will probably improve.

doesn't really matter

people will still root for the school/uni and there will always be close and exciting games. thats what the people want and thats what they will continue to get.

I would imagine most going directly out of HS will receive significant contracts/signing bonuses even if they were to play in the G League variant to start.

There are 18 year old millionaires riding single A buses between baseball games.

The G League is currently televised , how many tv’s will tune into the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, Canton Charge , South Bay Lakers etc over watching their favorite college team? How are the tv ratings now with a non watered down G League vs a more open, even less experienced G League? How many average fans knew Marvin BagleyIII , Trae Young etc till they played in college? What is their endorsement, brand value now vs a year ago? How many great G League players gained their notoriety playing in the developmental league before the NBA?

I don't think the nba will ever have a successful g-league. the nba is so different from MLB or the NFL in terms of roster size and basic talent requirements. the 13-14-15 guys on nba rosters are essentially irrelevant whereas in the other leagues all the guys on the roster are going to play. maybe there is a chance that a really committed franchise could somehow develop guys in a minor league setting, but more likely the minor league won't pay enough to keep the guys from going to Europe and etc. unless people think there is a great deal of nba quality talent that is going undeveloped that the g-league could somehow help with. i'm just not sure about that.

The G League is currently televised , how many tv’s will tune into the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, Canton Charge , South Bay Lakers etc over watching their favorite college team? How are the tv ratings now with a non watered down G League vs a more open, even less experienced G League? How many average fans knew Marvin BagleyIII , Trae Young etc till they played in college? What is their endorsement, brand value now vs a year ago? How many great G League players gained their notoriety playing in the developmental league before the NBA?

26b7854a1213149fd0dcfee2c5c56eb4.jpg

I think this is fair.

What I would say is that if the top 10-20 players are consistently going into the G-League (especially now that every team has a G-League team), I think it would get more traction.

Right now if you don't have a two way contract, the salary is like $26,000. That would have to go way up, obviously.

One thing I would say is that it with the influx of the top talent each year, you may gain NBA fans versus the college fans that would start watching G-League.

I would, but I also love the NBA and watch summer league.

Players will go out of HS.
They will get paid on 2-way contracts so NBA Teams aren’t paying them millions to play in the G-League.

The kids can go out of HS and ride buses in the G-League and get pro coaching.
If you go to college you aren’t eligible for the draft for 2 years. Some will want 3 years but 2 years is good enough.
Only 5-10 players most years will go out of HS. College wins even though they aren’t doing anything.

Not sure I am buying.

Only a handful of kids at best should go - but what happens when 40 high school kids and whoever is around them think they're the next big thing. Lots of washouts before they can legally drink. Not sure I see the real upside for the NBA either, teams are just gonna be managing churn.

This is massively overhyped, imo.

Plenty of guys have made names in the NBA with little to no mainstream college success.

Honestly, what playing in college will help with is getting you a coaching gig after you play

Getting the 2nd contract ASAP is the most important thing.

in the near term, the low pay (much lower than some schools are paying) and obscurity of the d-league may keep these kids away from declaring if they aren't really ready. if the NBA turns the g-league into something it really could be with escalated pay & exposure it could become an exciting and very viable alternative. again though, cbb would be fine.

they should also let the high school kids go through the same draft process as college kids get to do now.

If these kids are looking to get to the next level, they can't get any better exposure than they do in the D league. People from various professional organizations seeing them on a nightly basis. While I know the scouting system and process for identifying potential NBA talent isn't great, I refuse to believe that it has much to do with P5 kids having great tournament runs. That may move the needle on media mock drafts, but I would hope the NBA organizations are doing a bit more research than just kicking back and turning on TruTV in March.

Not sure I am buying.

Only a handful of kids at best should go - but what happens when 40 high school kids and whoever is around them think they're the next big thing. Lots of washouts before they can legally drink. Not sure I see the real upside for the NBA either, teams are just gonna be managing churn.

Can't you correct this by allowing players to retain their amateur status/college eligibility until they sign their G League/NBA contract. If you are middle level prospect and go undrafted, or get drafted much lower than you anticipated, you don't sign and continue onto college. This system would require changes in the way college coaches recruit and pro teams draft, but I think it would all work itself out pretty quickly.

And if kids wash out by 21, then so be it. They took their shot and it didn't work out. Not everyone can make their living playing basketball. If that was a concern they could choose to go to college and get a degree before pursuing their professional dreams.

Not sure I am buying.

Yeah it’s not going to move the needle much.

Not sure I am buying.

Maybe washout could be made eligible for college but they have to then stay for 4 years. Just spitballing.

IDK. Bryce Harper didn't need college to up his Q rating. :p
Seriously though, with a good Youtube plan, kids can get a far bigger fan base of people who will be what products they are pitching than through a good NCAA run.
It's a whole new marketplace.
Heck, I just found out about Fortnight. It's ruining young relationships world wide.

Not to get all political, but I would think Obama would be more in favor of having these kids go the college route so they might be more prepared for life instead of flaming out by the age of 30 with no post high school education on their resume.

"not to get all political"

..then gets all political

Don't care. Little impact to college game. College hoop survived just fine without Kobe, LeBron and KG. And I'm not sure Kwame Brown, Korleane Young or Leon Smith would have made college basketball any better.
We love to talk about the name on the back of the Jersey but the name on the front is all that really matters.

My conern, if i really cared, would be how committed the NBA would be to any minor league system. People mention the MLB model don't consider just how long that whole system has been in place. Franchises require a lot of support, even established ones. Coaches, trainers, facilities, FANS. How many people go to a G league game? AAA baseball the numbers are in the 4 digets. And that is only a small contribution to the cost. Is the NBA going to be committed to deficit spending to fund a minor league forever?

It's pretty funny that a lot of you seem to think that whatever the NBA does here would benefit college basketball.

The NBA is going to do what's best for the NBA. Any benefit to college hoops is a happy coincidence. I wouldn't count in it though.

The people running the NBA are smarter than the people running the NCAA. Fact.

My conern, if i really cared, would be how committed the NBA would be to any minor league system. People mention the MLB model don't consider just how long that whole system has been in place. Franchises require a lot of support, even established ones. Coaches, trainers, facilities, FANS. How many people go to a G league game? AAA baseball the numbers are in the 4 digets. And that is only a small contribution to the cost. Is the NBA going to be committed to deficit spending to fund a minor league forever?

But enough about the WNBA