CBB will change dramatically | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

CBB will change dramatically

Anyone know how many players the g league and nba take each year? Curious. As they open up to high school one would think there would have to be more flameout than today.

so much hypocrisy. everybody can cash in but the kids. college kids can hold outside jobs and get paid, so why cant players at the very least get paid for endorsements, appearances, sneaker contracts, etc. while still retaining college eligibility. why do they lose eligibility if they hire an agent. let the agent pay them if they want to invest in the kid.

players are entitled to a path to cash in on their skills to the extent of the market. why does it have to be black and white, why cant a kid go to college if he wants that experience and also get paid if warranted.

alternatively, if a kid does not want the college experience and just wants to ball there should be a path for that choice.

expand the nba draft to four rounds or have a seperate two round draft for hs kids. those kids could then go d league or college. if they go college and stay two years or more they could then be eligible to get re drafted and get big money if they go high.

Is the NBA going to partner with the University of Phoenix to get these kids college credits. Once their pro careers are over, if they want to go into coaching at the high school or college level, they need that degree. I believe Devo is finishing up now, so he can hopefully become an assistant coach (at Cuse or elsewhere).

I know these kids all have big dreams but how many become busts and watch their money go down the drain. None are going to get rich in the G league. I have definitely mixed feelings on this but maybe make it a mandatory two year hitch in college. At least they can be half way to a degree. College is not for everyone but if they want to be really concerned about these kids then they should be concerned enough to get them a degree. It's tough for kids not interested in an education or not willing to work for it.

Devo got his degree a few years ago.

Because many of the top players would not actually be going to college, i.e, taking classes.

so much hypocrisy. everybody can cash in but the kids. college kids can hold outside jobs and get paid, so why cant players at the very least get paid for endorsements, appearances, sneaker contracts, etc. while still retaining college eligibility. why do they lose eligibility if they hire an agent. let the agent pay them if they want to invest in the kid.

players are entitled to a path to cash in on their skills to the extent of the market. why does it have to be black and white, why cant a kid go to college if he wants that experience and also get paid if warranted.

alternatively, if a kid does not want the college experience and just wants to ball there should be a path for that choice.

expand the nba draft to four rounds or have a seperate two round draft for hs kids. those kids could then go d league or college. if they go college and stay two years or more they could then be eligible to get re drafted and get big money if they go high.

College basketball has to change significantly if it wants to remain relevant. Losing 2-5 superstars each year will not hurt college basketball but losing the top 50 prospects from each class will completely diminish the game. The D-League offers aspiring NBA players the ability to work on their game full-time without the distraction of classes. There are good coaches in the D-League, every system is NBA oriented and the practice time is unlimited. The main problem with the D-League is that it is not revenue positive and the NBA doesn't want to donate millions of dollars toward sustaining that type of system. College basketball makes lots of money but refuses to pay any of the players. Money has to flow directly to the college players soon for the NCAA to continue to attract high level basketball talent. Once the allure of future NBA talent leaves college basketball, so will the casual fan. Lose the casual fan and college basketball falls further into a niche audience and loses a lot of TV revenue.

Because many of the top players would not actually be going to college, i.e, taking classes.
Yeah, look, I don't know how to tell you this so I'm going to just come out and say it - a lot of college kids don't actually go to college, i.e., take classes.

College basketball has to change significantly if it wants to remain relevant. Losing 2-5 superstars each year will not hurt college basketball but losing the top 50 prospects from each class will completely diminish the game. The D-League offers aspiring NBA players the ability to work on their game full-time without the distraction of classes. There are good coaches in the D-League, every system is NBA oriented and the practice time is unlimited. The main problem with the D-League is that it is not revenue positive and the NBA doesn't want to donate millions of dollars toward sustaining that type of system. College basketball makes lots of money but refuses to pay any of the players. Money has to flow directly to the college players soon for the NCAA to continue to attract high level basketball talent. Once the allure of future NBA talent leaves college basketball, so will the casual fan. Lose the casual fan and college basketball falls further into a niche audience and loses a lot of TV revenue.
Good post. I know people hate hearing this, but the NBA is doing the right thing. The college game needs to figure out its stuff.