CBS broadcast shows fan fall from the 3rd deck to the 2nd ay Sundays Bills game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

CBS broadcast shows fan fall from the 3rd deck to the 2nd ay Sundays Bills game

Another extreme sport Darwin award candidate.

I was at that stadium (then Rich Stadium) in 1975, maybe 1976, for the Stones concert. Great show which included some guy getting into a coffin with a motorcycle helmet on and blowing himself up with dynamite between the music acts. He was dazed but seemingly unhurt. I went down to the "floor" at one point, and "vendors" were brazenly selling acid and black beauties like watches on a Manhattan street corner.

Anyway, there was a cable that stretched horizontally across the stadium at the 50 yard line or so, at the highest point, probably 60 or 80 feet high up. Inexplicably, there was another cable that ran up from the floor to the horizontal cable. Well, between acts, some nitwit daredevil decided to climb up the cable from the floor to the horizontal cable. Not only that, he went hand over hand along the horizontal cable ten feet or so, swung his legs up, and hung from his knees, waving triumphantly at the crowd, who roared in every variety of emotion. At this point the girls in the audience were shrieking at the top of their lungs in utter terror, and I saw some fainted. Some people threw up. It was absolutely terrifying, because there was a real chance that this guy was going to fall, and if he fell, he was going to die. Somehow, he made it back to the vertical cable, and climbed down. Very, very screwed up. Absolutely stole the show.

What the hell is a black beauty?

common sense dictates someone falling from the third tier of a sports stadium directly on your head isn't going to end well (at least as it has been reported to have happened).

I always enjoy your medical insight Cuseregular but this time I find you particuarly brilliant!

common sense dictates someone falling from the third tier of a sports stadium directly on your head isn't going to end well (at least as it has been reported to have happened).

i didnt get that detail about the guy falling directly onto his head. i am serious about these questions becauseif your allegation is true, i think the guy should be jailed.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/hurt-man-falls-3rd-deck-bills-game-20920044

this said the guy was treated and released. while not definitive, certainly not indicative of a brain injury with likely permanency. i imagine if the guy was really badly hurt, we would have heard more about it, but maybe not.

I do not understand stadium design. It seems to me that in just about every stadium in the country the fencing in every upper deck is FAR too low. In Buffalo it looks from the video to be no more than 3-4 feet high, which means any drunk idiot can stumble his way to a nasty fate.

Have we not learned anything from the Naked Gun?! The dangers of this were exposed 25 years ago!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46704111@N00/4527361578/
The answer is not raising the rails. It's installing 4 foot tall spikes below the rails. That way when a drunken idiot falls, he'll only ever do it once. Natural selection at it's best.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/hurt-man-falls-3rd-deck-bills-game-20920044

this said the guy was treated and released. while not definitive, certainly not indicative of a brain injury with likely permanency. i imagine if the guy was really badly hurt, we would have heard more about it, but maybe not.
not to be a , but you get hit on the neck from a flying human, you also get dinged on the head. Guy who got hit was young, meaning resiliant and flexible so though xrays are frequently negative for bone breaks etc. they don't show any soft tissue damage like an MRI which I can guarantee they didn't do. So even if there's no "brain damage" there will be some degree of soft tissue damage somewhere in the involved area especially given how they explain what happened in your linked article.

In my line of work (spine care) we know any significant trauma like this causes some degree of damage to the soft tissues (discs, ligaments, etc.) which often don't show up in terms of any significant pain symptoms until months/years later when he'll tell his dr. "I was just reaching up for a coffee cup and got a tweek in my neck" (translation early on damaged tissues progressed from say a bulging disc to a herniated disc type thing). Most people think patients end up in offices like mine from one particular trauma, fall or accident. Well most end up here from bending over to tie ones shoes and the like and the back/neck goes out. Not from that one bend but from any antecedent traumas both large and small.

We've done studies in the spine world (I'm a college prof. too teaching orthopedics) where symptom free people are put in MRI's and lo and behold the findings show 50-60+% of them have significant disc conditions with no pain....yet. All our past spinal bumps and bruises catch up with us sooner or later.

http://www.pnbconline.com/pages/MRIsdonttell/

This happens from people having other people fall on their heads and necks and the like.

Last edited:
i was at a bills game where some guy ran around the entire stadium on the edge of the mezzanine where there is a flat platform(layout might be different than now, can't describe exactly)

he underestimated how far he'd have to sprint to make it around which was hilarious, he was slowing down and laboring

so he gets to one of the end zones where the cops are waiting for him. except the cops decide not to guard the edge of the roof because you'd have to be an idiot to jump off.

this guy was that idiot. he eluded the cop and just plunged into the stands. it was amazing.

this guy is at every game. baby hulkster has a ceremonial match on a van

dangerous_stunt.JPG

then there's pinto ron of course
buffalobills_display_image.jpg

buffalo-tailgater-ken-johnson.jpg

this is not me, i swear
heisman_718_400_80_s_c1.JPG

My college buddy is good friends with the "idiot". The kid who was hit hardest has been released from the hospital but this is far from over for the guy who slid down the rail. His friends are rallying behind him, it amazes me how absolutely idiotic people can be.

They've completely disregarded the people that he's injured. Unbelievable.

My college buddy is good friends with the "idiot". The kid who was hit hardest has been released from the hospital but this is far from over for the guy who slid down the rail. His friends are rallying behind him, it amazes me how absolutely idiotic people can be.

They've completely disregarded the people that he's injured. Unbelievable.
How do you "rally around" someone that did that? What is there to rally around about? What a bunch of morons.

What the hell is a black beauty?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=black beauties

Black Beauties (also known as Black Birds or Black Bombers) are a combination of Amphetamine (Speed) and Dextroamphetamine (Active salt in Adderall). Pills are typically 20 milligrams. Effects include a mild to moderate euphoria, increased hyperactivity, increased awareness of surroundings, increased interest in repetitive or normally boring activities (like Charlie Watts' drumming), decreased appetite, and decreased ability to sleep. The added dextroamphetamine reduces comedown effects compared to amphetamine alone, but not to the extent of methamphetamine.
Black beauties were the drug of choice for truck drivers during the late 60's and early 70's, prior to the advent of methamphetamine. Methamphetamine became popular because drivers had the ability to sleep after the drug's effects wore off.

Cuseregular I don't think you're being a dick. I think you are making some assumptions and I was asking if I was missing part of the story. I don't need an ortho lesson, and the guy very well may be seriously injured, but there's no doubt the individual may also have more minor issues that resolve quickly.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=black beauties

Black Beauties (also known as Black Birds or Black Bombers) are a combination of Amphetamine (Speed) and Dextroamphetamine (Active salt in Adderall). Pills are typically 20 milligrams. Effects include a mild to moderate euphoria, increased hyperactivity, increased awareness of surroundings, increased interest in repetitive or normally boring activities (like Charlie Watts' drumming), decreased appetite, and decreased ability to sleep. The added dextroamphetamine reduces comedown effects compared to amphetamine alone, but not to the extent of methamphetamine.
Black beauties were the drug of choice for truck drivers during the late 60's and early 70's, prior to the advent of methamphetamine. Methamphetamine became popular because drivers had the ability to sleep after the drug's effects wore off.

sounds like one step away from huffing glue.

Cuseregular I don't think you're being a dick. I think you are making some assumptions and I was asking if I was missing part of the story. I don't need an ortho lesson, and the guy very well may be seriously injured, but there's no doubt the individual may also have more minor issues that resolve quickly.
It's not so much about having minor issues that resolve quickly. The point he was making is that he almost certainly has soft tissue injuries they may not manifest themselves for years but were ultimately started with this trauma.

@aaronwivb: Rob Hopkins, #Bills fan who fell from upper deck at Sunday's game, has been fired from his job with #Buffalo PR firm Eric Mower & Associates

He also received a lifetime ban from the stadium.

@aaronwivb: Rob Hopkins, #Bills fan who fell from upper deck at Sunday's game, has been fired from his job with #Buffalo PR firm Eric Mower & Associates

He also received a lifetime ban from the stadium.
I'm surprised he can be fired for being an idiot, but the ban is certainly appropriate.

I'm surprised he can be fired for being an idiot, but the ban is certainly appropriate.
Company seats. Furthermore, the satirical view of this situation that they're taking makes this justifiable. Making a complete joke of this on every social media platform possible. Idiot.

Company seats. Furthermore, the satirical view of this situation that they're taking makes this justifiable. Making a complete joke of this on every social media platform possible. Idiot.
What a moron. You're there on the company dime and make a fool of yourself trying to be a 14 year old. Hope it was worth it.

It's not so much about having minor issues that resolve quickly. The point he was making is that he almost certainly has soft tissue injuries they may not manifest themselves for years but were ultimately started with this trauma.

no offense, but neither of you know how injured the guy was. the only reason i am pointing it out is because in his first post, cuseregular takes a lot of liberties. however, this is the dumbest argument ever. we both agree the dumb fan needs to be darwinized.

no offense, but neither of you know how injured the guy was. the only reason i am pointing it out is because in his first post, cuseregular takes a lot of liberties. however, this is the dumbest argument ever. we both agree the dumb fan needs to be darwinized.
It's true, we don't, but since both of us work with people that have back injuries on a daily basis, we do know what we're talking about.

It's true, we don't, but since both of us work with people that have back injuries on a daily basis, we do know what we're talking about.

you know what you're talking about regarding spinal injury in general or you know this guy has spinal injury? i don't doubt the former. i doubt the latter. and, I'm not a fan of proliferating rumors.

i'm sure the kid is thinking from your mouth to God's ears. Time will tell.

this is so common huh, this attitude. My favorite line with some of these people is you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink, and with some you can't even lead them to the freaking water!
image.jpg

Even if he wasn't in company seats he can be fired. You are always representing your company. "At will" state.