CBS broadcast shows fan fall from the 3rd deck to the 2nd ay Sundays Bills game | Syracusefan.com

CBS broadcast shows fan fall from the 3rd deck to the 2nd ay Sundays Bills game

Another extreme sport Darwin award candidate.

I was at that stadium (then Rich Stadium) in 1975, maybe 1976, for the Stones concert. Great show which included some guy getting into a coffin with a motorcycle helmet on and blowing himself up with dynamite between the music acts. He was dazed but seemingly unhurt. I went down to the "floor" at one point, and "vendors" were brazenly selling acid and black beauties like watches on a Manhattan street corner.

Anyway, there was a cable that stretched horizontally across the stadium at the 50 yard line or so, at the highest point, probably 60 or 80 feet high up. Inexplicably, there was another cable that ran up from the floor to the horizontal cable. Well, between acts, some nitwit daredevil decided to climb up the cable from the floor to the horizontal cable. Not only that, he went hand over hand along the horizontal cable ten feet or so, swung his legs up, and hung from his knees, waving triumphantly at the crowd, who roared in every variety of emotion. At this point the girls in the audience were shrieking at the top of their lungs in utter terror, and I saw some fainted. Some people threw up. It was absolutely terrifying, because there was a real chance that this guy was going to fall, and if he fell, he was going to die. Somehow, he made it back to the vertical cable, and climbed down. Very, very screwed up. Absolutely stole the show.

Last edited:

I was at that stadium (then Rich Stadium) in 1975, maybe 1976, for the Stones concert. Great show which included some guy getting into a coffin with a motorcycle helmet on and blowing himself up with dynamite between the music acts. He was dazed but seemingly unhurt. I went down to the "floor" at one point, and "vendors" were brazenly selling acid and black beauties like watches on a Manhattan street corner.

Anyway, there was a cable that stretched horizontally across the stadium at the 50 yard line or so, at the highest point, probably 60 or 80 feet high up. Inexplicably, there was another cable that ran up from the floor to the horizontal cable. Well, between acts, some nitwit daredevil decided to climb up the cable from the floor to the horizontal cable. Not only that, he went hand over hand along the horizontal cable ten feet or so, swung his legs up, and hung from his knees, waving triumphantly at the crowd, who roared in every variety of emotion. At this point the girls in the audience were shrieking at the top of their lungs in utter terror, and I saw some fainted. Some people threw up. It was absolutely terrifying, because there was a real chance that this guy was going to fall, and if he fell, he was going to die. Somehow, he made it back to the vertical cable, and climbed down. Very, very screwed up. Absolutely stole the show.
same thing happened at Bills Giants Monday night football game in the late 70s

What a stupid mother Fer. The person hit on the head/neck is likely going to be dealing with significant problems going forward. Hope he sues the out of this dumb F.

The Heavy Hitters are on your side!

There is nothing surprising at all about the story. The Bills are nothing more than an excuse to get wasted and act like an idiot.

At least at other stadia, one can watch good football.

True, but we shouldn't blame the Bills for how bad the Jets were yesterday.

Actually, we should blame them.

You can pretty much say that about any NFL stadium.
I brought some of my friends from home to the ECU game where the ref almost died.

My friends from high school are much like my friends from college - drunken stupid idiots - so you have to take it with a grain of salt but they didn't know that the circular handwasher thing in the bathroom was for handwashing because they're so used to Bills fans crossing streams

twitter says the kid who the idiot fell on looked about 17

i've been saying for years that SU needs to market themselves as a family alternative to the bills

i'm not taking my son to a bills game. unless the bills are awesome again. then I will subject him to the craziness the way my dad did with me and he'll be grateful

I do not understand stadium design. It seems to me that in just about every stadium in the country the fencing in every upper deck is FAR too low. In Buffalo it looks from the video to be no more than 3-4 feet high, which means any drunk idiot can stumble his way to a nasty fate.

Have we not learned anything from the Naked Gun?! The dangers of this were exposed 25 years ago!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46704111@N00/4527361578/

I do not understand stadium design. It seems to me that in just about every stadium in the country the fencing in every upper deck is FAR too low. In Buffalo it looks from the video to be no more than 3-4 feet high, which means any drunk idiot can stumble his way to a nasty fate.

Have we not learned anything from the Naked Gun?! The dangers of this were exposed 25 years ago!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46704111@N00/4527361578/
those rails have turned me into a giant wuss. i wanted to get into it with a loudmouth jerk in our section last year and quickly thought, this drunk idiot pushes me, i have the railing at the back of my knees, I'm dead (first row upper deck).

those rails have turned me into a giant wuss. i wanted to get into it with a loudmouth jerk in our section last year and quickly thought, this drunk idiot pushes me, i have the railing at the back of my knees, I'm dead (first row upper deck).

I hear you. I have a terrible fear of heights, so I'm barely functional in the upper deck of some stadiums, especially when I feel like I'm a bump away from plunging to my death.

I hear you. I have a terrible fear of heights, so I'm barely functional in the upper deck of some stadiums, especially when I feel like I'm a bump away from plunging to my death.

I have the same issue with heights. I just cringe when I see people leaning over the railing on the 2nd or 3rd level to catch a stupid foul ball at baseball games.

At my high school prom, one of the chaperones got a little tipsy (obviously he shouldn't have been a chaperone) but he tried to get from the 7th floor to the 6th floor not going they way you were supposed to and it didn't end well at all. Ever since then, I don't need to see anyone fall ever again.

What a stupid mother Fer. The person hit on the head/neck is likely going to be dealing with significant problems going forward. Hope he sues the out of this dumb F.

how do you know how serious the head injury was?

I wonder if that guy was some sort of "secret" act. Seems odd they'd have a cable accessible running up to that height and also that the guy would be that skilled - he's either the luckiest guy in history or he'd been practicing lol

Keith did a lot of stupid s&&t back then.:)

L2RL8.jpg

Pearl Jam anyone??

how do you know how serious the head injury was?
common sense dictates someone falling from the third tier of a sports stadium directly on your head isn't going to end well (at least as it has been reported to have happened).