CBS in this NCAA... | Syracusefan.com

CBS in this NCAA...

bpo57

Living Legend
has had a brutal tournament. Culminated last night in missing the last 2.8 seconds of the KU/OSU game. Pretty funny when one of the three (might have been Nantz) said OSU looked like they weren't ready when KU inbounded the ball. What a coincidence, neither was your executive producer as he's showing replays during live action. Then there were the repeated crowd shots during live action all tournament long. The aerial camera might work for football but is disorienting in hoops.

Three men in a booth is just a bad idea. Steve Kerr made several good comments only to have Clark Kellogg say- "you're right, Steve." Kellogg is decent too but with three guys there is too much competition for airtime. There have been times in history where it has worked but it's rare. The worst examples of all time were some of the MNF crews.

The studio show is a disaster. Kenny Smith and Chuck can't even name the starting fives on some of the most prominent teams in the tournament. You can't bring pro guys into talk college when they haven't followed it all year long. Just stupid.

Even the announcing teams they had for the regionals were shaky. Verne Lundquist is ok but seems like his shelf life expired ten years ago. I know some here like Raftery but his act is getting old. Too much shtick, not enough substance. Len Elmore? He's the grouchy uncle that is always grumbling about something. Meanwhile teams like Brando/Gminski and Eagle/Spanarkel are left out when they're much better.

CBS has lots of room for improvement.

has had a brutal tournament. Culminated last night in missing the last 2.8 seconds of the KU/OSU game. Pretty funny when one of the three (might have been Nantz) said OSU looked like they weren't ready when KU inbounded the ball. What a coincidence, neither was your executive producer as he's showing replays during live action. Then there were the repeated crowd shots during live action all tournament long. The aerial camera might work for football but is disorienting in hoops.

Three men in a booth is just a bad idea. Steve Kerr made several good comments only to have Clark Kellogg say- "you're right, Steve." Kellogg is decent too but with three guys there is too much competition for airtime. There have been times in history where it has worked but it's rare. The worst examples of all time were some of the MNF crews.

The studio show is a disaster. Kenny Smith and Chuck can't even name the starting fives on some of the most prominent teams in the tournament. You can't bring pro guys into talk college when they haven't followed it all year long. Just stupid.

Even the announcing teams they had for the regionals were shaky. Verne Lundquist is ok but seems like his shelf life expired ten years ago. I know some here like Raftery but his act is getting old. Too much shtick, not enough substance. Len Elmore? He's the grouchy uncle that is always grumbling about something. Meanwhile teams like Brando/Gminski and Eagle/Spanarkel are left out when they're much better.

bpo, I agree with almost all of what you said. I do think the big monday crew of raf, Jay and sean pull off the 3 man crew quite well. The studio crew is just bad. NBA guys should not do the college game.

I always liked Gus Johnson! I say bring back Gus

Gus J is great...just not for SU games, he's a jinx.
Agree with comments from bpo57.
I really like the handling of the first rounds with all the games covered on the 4 different channels. Totally disagree with those media heads (Mike Francessa) who like the old system better with one channel and relying on the producer to switch games to show the best action. Give me a break. They better not ever go back to that again.

Gus J is great...just not for SU games, he's a jinx.
Agree with comments from bpo57.
I really like the handling of the first rounds with all the games covered on the 4 different channels. Totally disagree with those media heads (Mike Francessa) who like the old system better with one channel and relying on the producer to switch games to show the best action. Give me a break. They better not ever go back to that again.
I always liked Gus Johnson! I say bring back Gus
I was thinking a bit ago I did not remember Gus this year in the tournament. Did I just miss him?

Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley are as sharp as a marble. Verne Lundquist is Jabba the Hut.

You can't bring guys into talk college when they haven't followed it all year long. Just stupid.
I have felt the same way about Nantz for years. I know he is the face (voice) of CBS Sports, but he should be handling more regular season games so that he can better keep up to date with the players/teams he is going to cover in the tournament.

I mute the whole tournament so I can't complain, but I agree some of the camera coverage is poorly done.

For SU games I rely on WAER for audio.

Charles Barkley is the worst. Besides being an idiot. He blatantly says hes a paid mouth piece for the SEC. His mouth is so biased you could toss him a $20 and he would say whatever you wanted. CBS is a joke.

The only thing I don't like about CBS' coverage are the douche-chilling over-produced segments of each team leading into the player intro's during the Final Four. "We are...Kentucky!"

Barf.

CBS coverage is worst than ESPN. Seems like the coverage has actually got worse over the past 15 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom