Celebrating | Syracusefan.com

Celebrating

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
How come in other sports like basketball and soccer you can party like it's 1999 after a basket or a goal, but in football you get a 15 yard penalty if you even raise your arm for 2 seconds?

How come in other sports like basketball and soccer you can party like it's 1999 after a basket or a goal, but in football you get a 15 yard penalty if you even raise your arm for 2 seconds?

Everyone will have a different opinion on this one, thread could go about anywhere. Maybe there are so many other dumb celebrations during a game that the powers that be thought end zones would get crazier trying to outdo them For example.

DB celebrates a pass breakup when beaten terribly but QB throws a duck, allowing him to make a play.

Defenders celebrate huge hits on 3rd and long when they occur just after the offense got a first down.

A DL will celebrate a sack when he's been beaten by the same OL every other play in the game.
And then the worst of all, though not a celebration, but certainly theatrics is the constant pointing at the other player in any somewhat questionable play, hoping to get the ref to throw a personal foul flag. Tin cupping.

Enforcement of anti-celebration penalties has gotten a bit out of hand. I get that excessive, inflammatory celebrations shouldn't be allowed, but emotional displays are not unequivocally unsportsmanlike.

It is the political party known as the NCAA that controls this.

Why is hockey the only sport where fighting is tolerated? Maybe the Xavier and Cincy players should have just received 2 minutes in the penalty box.

Why is hockey the only sport where fighting is tolerated? Maybe the Xavier and Cincy players should have just received 2 minutes in the penalty box.

Given some of these stories that have come out recently about hockey goons, I would guess that hockey's fighting days are probably numbered. The one thing that helped it last this long was that hockey fights were always one on one. Xavier - Cincy fight involved a cheap shot and then stomping on the victim of said cheap shot.

Football, basketball, baseball, any potential fight is a free for all. 3rd man in is a team hero for being the first to stand up for his guy. In hockey, he's blackballed for an unfair fight.

Because enforcers make the game safer for everyone else. There would be hundreds more cheap shots on Crosbys, Ovechkins, Kessels and Seguins if there wasn't fighting. It allows players to take it out on the ice and no harm done.

BTW, while the NYTimes article on the Boogeyman was sad, there aren't many straight up enforcers like him anymore, you have to be able to play to make the teams. Fighting has dropped, but it will never go away.

I think you can blame the overzealous criminalization of football penalties on two teams. The Washington Redskins "fun bunch"...

... and The U...

Having a dozen guys do a choreographed routine went well beyond pure emotional celebrations. I loved it, but I get why the NFL said enough was enough. And The U just was too far ahead of it's time and offended the delicate sensibilities of the stodgy NCAA. Can't have kids from the street doing street things! :eek:

Because enforcers make the game safer for everyone else. There would be hundreds more cheap shots on Crosbys, Ovechkins, Kessels and Seguins if there wasn't fighting. It allows players to take it out on the ice and no harm done.

BTW, while the NYTimes article on the Boogeyman was sad, there aren't many straight up enforcers like him anymore, you have to be able to play to make the teams. Fighting has dropped, but it will never go away.

Sorry, but I don't buy that argument.
How do other contact sports (like football and lacrosse) control cheap shots?
Simple: by enforcing the rules and doling-out harsh penalties when you cross the line (e.g., Suh, Harrison).
IMO the NHL permits fighting because it generates crowd interest. Personally, I'd like to see the NBA become more permissive of fighting, because the game itself has become so boring.

BECAUSE OF THE MIAMI RULE...... Thrill Hill running through the tunnel was one out of 240 minutes of penalty's in the trounceing of then #1 Texas in the Cotton Bowl.

Thanks for the memories Scooch. Don't get me wrong. I despised the Hurricanes. But I loved to watch them and hate them at the same time.

I agree.

Who cares about celebrations.

My goodness, there are just too many penalties in football.

Did you watch the Giants game last night? Way too many bad calls or unnecessary calls.

At one point in one game I watched a there were seven penalties in ten plays.

A

I think you can blame the overzealous criminalization of football penalties on two teams. The Washington Redskins "fun bunch"...

... and The U...

Having a dozen guys do a choreographed routine went well beyond pure emotional celebrations. I loved it, but I get why the NFL said enough was enough. And The U just was too far ahead of it's time and offended the delicate sensibilities of the stodgy NCAA. Can't have kids from the street doing street things! :eek:

I miss how much I love to hate Miami for that stuff. Bring it back!

... and The U...

Actually the unique TD dance began with Elmo Wright the great WR from University of Houston.

He later took it to the NFL with the KC Chiefs.

His celebration was fun and in no disrespected the game or the opponent.

If you don't call these celebration penalties in football the games will go for 5 hours or more. After every tackle every a player will have his special dance or routine. Every guy will have his "gimmick" like a pro wrestler. In soccer you might get 1 goal like every 3 hours. The only celebrations I see in baseball are from closers and those take place after the game has ended. And a big reason basketball has taken a hit in popularity in recent years is because of the nature of its players and how the game has sunk to the gutter with that crap that takes place around the actual game itself.

In football you got Jarred Allen doing a dance routine after ever sack. You got Oddrick in Miami doing the pee-wee herman dance. You got Desean Jackson..nuff said. And every other diva WR with a routine. We could go on and on all day. The days of a guy scoring a TD and doing something are over. You got guys doing stuff on kickoff tackles, sacks, big plays, hell a guy could make a tackle 5 yards down field on a 2nd and 3 and he has a "celebration" of some sort. It is so out of hand.

you could eliminate the celebration by having a real running clock. get rid of the 45 sec garbage , make it 30. teams would have to line up and play. it would get rid of coaches in the press box calling down and telling the offense what to do after seeing d's line up.. get back to call your play i call mine and see who did the better job.

more plays better for watching , less useless replays, better for people in the stands, probably worse for tv unless it leads to more scoring..

hard to celebrate in bball when the other team fast breaks back on you. players look like fools when they do.

I agree.

Who cares about celebrations.

My goodness, there are just too many penalties in football.

Did you watch the Giants game last night? Way too many bad calls or unnecessary calls.

At one point in one game I watched a there were seven penalties in ten plays.

A
I agree. The number of penalties in football, college and pro, is getting ridiculous. Add in the new leading with the helmet penalties and it's just absurd. This Sunday Tom Brady got hit in the forearm by London Fletchers shoulder just when he went into a slide and they call a leading w the helmet penalty. I can't tell you how many times I've seen similar calls this year. Fletcher went bananas, can't blame him.

I agree. The number of penalties in football, college and pro, is getting ridiculous. Add in the new leading with the helmet penalties and it's just absurd. This Sunday Tom Brady got hit in the forearm by London Fletchers shoulder just when he went into a slide and they call a leading w the helmet penalty. I can't tell you how many times I've seen similar calls this year. Fletcher went bananas, can't blame him.
As a Pats fan, I thought that was a horrible call. There were 3 other terrible calls in that game, Wilfork hit a RB while he was on the ground and not down by contact and was given a 15 yd Personal Foul for leading with the helmet (He hit him with his shoulder). Andre Carter nullified a pick with a roughing the passer when he was tackling Grossman by the legs as he threw. And there was a no call when Gronk got hit helmet to helmet by Hall, which was specifically commented on by the announcers. The protection BS has gone too far.

That call on Grossman was just as ridiculous and probably a make up call. Terrible

That call on Grossman was just as ridiculous and probably a make up call. Terrible
I agree, that's exactly what I said when I was watching. Luckily for the Pats they made the right call on the offensive PI at the end.

As a Pats fan, I thought that was a horrible call. There were 3 other terrible calls in that game, Wilfork hit a RB while he was on the ground and not down by contact and was given a 15 yd Personal Foul for leading with the helmet (He hit him with his shoulder). Andre Carter nullified a pick with a roughing the passer when he was tackling Grossman by the legs as he threw. And there was a no call when Gronk got hit helmet to helmet by Hall, which was specifically commented on by the announcers. The protection BS has gone too far.

Honestly I thought this was the worst call of all of them. I get that the QBs are in full protect mode from the league, they've been clear about that, as terrible as it is sometimes. But when you're a RB and you lose your footing early, sometimes a big fat D tackle is going to roll over you. Been that way forever. When I saw that call, I thought they were about 1 step from just rolling out a soccer ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom