NCSU 'chunk' plays | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCSU 'chunk' plays

McDonald graded out as second best player on D besides Barron. But agreed he was awful…but you know…analytics.
Does one get a poor grade for being too slow to even be in position to pass or fail?

I never noticed it at games but it is glaring watching on TV.

This D gives up a ton of chunk plays. Game after game.

22 or so today, excluding the penalties & FG.

Even though we tweaked the D today, we are still missing tackles & assignments & giving up way too many huge plays. We are still tackling guys forward for 3-5 extra yards too.

This has got to change.
  1. 75 yard pass - TD
  2. 72 yard pass
  3. 42 yard pass
  4. 28 yard run
  5. 25 yard pass
  6. 21 yard pass
  7. 16 yard pass
  8. 15 yard run
  9. 15 yard penalty - Deuce
  10. 14 yard pass - TD
  11. 13 yard pass
  12. 13 yard pass
  13. 11 yard pass
  14. 10 yard run
  15. 9 yard pass
  16. 9 yard run
  17. 8 yard run
  18. 6 yard pass
  19. 5 yard pass
  20. 5 yard run
  21. 5 yard run
  22. 5 yard run
  23. 5 yard penalty - illegal formation
  24. 5 yard penalty- offsides
The D generated a couple turnovers, which gave McCord just enough opportunities to win the game for us.

Take away the 3 plays over 40 yards & maybe it's acceptable in the bend but don't break D...

Hopefully, Wax can get us whole again.
Wow that is eye opening

Anything under 10 yards should be two yards less, we seem to give them a couple extra yards with each tackle.
This. We can’t seem to get the guy down with the initial hit, often by the safeties (bad wrap on the legs?) and then the DL and LB crew in pursuit are back tracking and hitting the ball carrier “forward”. I saw this once in particular where Grant or Cinco made an initial hit short of the line and “Slimy” David made the hit in pursuit knocking them over the line to gain turning a 3rd down stop into a conversion.

Yeah, I kind of disagree. There are breakdowns, but given the number of guys we are missing, especially in the heart of the defense, I think we played pretty well these past couple games.

In the past, if you told me we were without our 2 starting DTs, our starting MLB and our best DB, I would say a team like NC State or Georgia Tech would have run for 300 yards against us, flipped the time of possession, and beaten us by 3 scores.

I think the defense has been getting better these last couple weeks, especially when you consider that we just won our first 2 road games of the year, back-to-back, against talented competition.

These coaches are all new, too, and I think they're getting better. We are 5-1, two Top 25 wins, 2 road wins, 2-1 in the ACC. Very good start, objectively speaking.
Guys out happens every year and the guys out wouldn’t resolve our issues.

This is the worst yards per carry D since 2017. This is the worst yards per attempt D since 2019. That is really bad given the lack of passing talent we have faced thus far. Yards per play is worst since 2017.

Both our style and results remind me a lot of Ward’s D. Except we haven’t given up the points.

Last edited:
McDonald graded out as second best player on D besides Barron. But agreed he was awful…but you know…analytics.

Not all analytics are the same.

Anything that graded him as having a great game needs to be scrutinized. PFF, whatever it was. And maybe his grade was average but second on the team on D?

He had that strip while engaged, so kudos to not giving up. But he wasn’t good and I’ll stand by that.

Btw, just to be clear (and this isn’t to you), I think with our injuries McDonald is in a spot where he is having to do stuff he just can’t do and he isn’t the only one on the D that this applies to.

I’m stoked to get Wax back. Barnes. Etc.

I thought overall the defense played well yesterday. The only play that was absolutely pathetic was that like 60 yard run after the catch with a few minutes left where we had the NC State player totally surrounded but he broke through due to weak arm tackling.

Not all analytics are the same.

Anything that graded him as having a great game needs to be scrutinized. PFF, whatever it was. And maybe his grade was average but second on the team on D?

He had that strip while engaged, so kudos to not giving up. But he wasn’t good and I’ll stand by that.

Btw, just to be clear (and this isn’t to you), I think with our injuries McDonald is in a spot where he is having to do stuff he just can’t do and he isn’t the only one on the D that this applies to.

I’m stoked to get Wax back. Barnes. Etc.
There is no chance that it's profitable for them to do the work to do real grades. It's the worst business in the world. These grades have to be generated bs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom