NCSU 'chunk' plays | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCSU 'chunk' plays

I agree, I just don't think anything was "skewed". According the plays Swish posted to start the thread, we gave up 17 plays of 9 yards or more. 38% of all snaps.

I think that just reveals who we are... a bad defensive team.

I thank the lunatics in Columbus for Kyle McCord.
I didn't know how bad that really is. Ten yard plays happen a lot

Ignore the 75 and 72 yard play (just for the sake of this, I know big plays count) and it's right in line with the rest of the season at 6.1 yards per play

We are 103rd in the country in ypp defense, they do stink

But we have the QB and we throw and that's good enough

And OSU fans are the worst

I think the defense is good enough for us to win most games.

I'm worried about how we'll do against Holstein and Ward. But those guys are having good games regardless of the defensive look.

The thing I don't get is that we seem content on offense to do some dink and dunk, yet that seems to be what our defense encourages. Usually you would think whatever it is you want to do on offense would be different from what your defense encourages the opponents offense to take.

I think the defense is good enough for us to win most games.

I'm worried about how we'll do against Holstein and Ward. But those guys are having good games regardless of the defensive look.

The thing I don't get is that we seem content on offense to do some dink and dunk, yet that seems to be what our defense encourages. Usually you would think whatever it is you want to do on offense would be different from what your defense encourages the opponents offense to take.
Seems like controlling the clock on O is a purposeful strategy at this point. We can’t lose ToP with our D, we’ll get eaten alive if we don’t force turnovers. So gotta limit their snaps while maximizing ours.

Seems like controlling the clock on O is a purposeful strategy at this point. We can’t lose ToP with our D, we’ll get eaten alive if we don’t force turnovers. So gotta limit their snaps while maximizing ours.
Yup. "Complementary" football - the staff understands that the D is not good. The O has proven that they can sustain long drives, move the ball via the passing game, control the TOP, and score enough to beat most teams that are not above average on O.

There is no doubt, IMO, that controlling the clock is not only a "purposeful strategy" but a major part of the overall game plan. That strategy also dictates how we play on D. Bend don't break, drop into coverage, "force" teams to sustain long drives to score. Without a really good QB, most college teams struggle to sustain drives consistently and that is amplified when you limit the number of possessions.

This overall game plan leverages the advantage we have with McCord. He is the difference maker.

Yup. "Complementary" football - the staff understands that the D is not good. The O has proven that they can sustain long drives, move the ball via the passing game, control the TOP, and score enough to beat most teams that are not above average on O.

There is no doubt, IMO, that controlling the clock is not only a "purposeful strategy" but a major part of the overall game plan. That strategy also dictates how we play on D. Bend don't break, drop into coverage, "force" teams to sustain long drives to score. Without a really good QB, most college teams struggle to sustain drives consistently and that is amplified when you limit the number of possessions.

This overall game plan leverages the advantage we have with McCord. He is the difference maker.
Agree. Seems like it all comes down to whether or not the D can force 2-3 punts and/or force ~2 turnovers each game. If we do, we have a great chance to win. If not…

True.

But how many times yesterday did NC State have a deep ball opportunity they didn’t convert on? The first ball to that hit the WR in the hands, the seam shot that was over Conception’s head. How many times did the announcers point out a deep shot that the kid missed a read on?

our defense did a lot well, but if we replace the two busted 70 yard plays for two on time system deep balls earlier in the game that were there and our opponents missed, we are having a very different discussion today.

D player well, but still has missed assignments and gaffes that sooner or later someone is gonna make us pay for. Gotta get that cleaned up in the bye week
This is all true. If McCord was their quarterback, they have 2 or 3 50+ yard touchdowns in the first half. You could see all the way back to the touchdowns against holy Cross that our safeties (who play extremely deep to begin with) are still getting blown by.

it seems to me Grant, Cinco, and deuce are all “run first safeties” and thus not disciplined enough in the passing game.

Its as if they’re not capable of backpedaling. It seems they want to play at a certain depth and that is it.

Fran mentioned in his press conference that we can’t have two deep safeties getting blown by, yet it continues to happen. Sounds like we’ve tried to address it already.

earlier in the year when Gould was playing, It was bad, but he has not played much since Holy Cross. Deuce not much better. Even Cinco often guilty.

The problem is a lack of speed in the secondary, so that whenever a runner or receiver breaks free past the LOS, there is a possibility of a chunk play. Cant teach speed. Maybe we get faster next year.
Team speed on D overall is part of the issue. But it's not just limited to the DBs.

17 points 400 yards 3 turnovers
Maybe the turnovers are available little luck but I'm college football, that's a pretty good day
I’m not sure many people who post and dream of lockdown defenses watch a lot of college football. The LSU/ Ole Miss game and the Oregon/ OSU games last night are prime examples Some of the best teams in college football and there’s just not a ton of great defense anymore, they’ve made it difficult in many ways anyway to be a great defense. they gave up 17 points, should be good enough To win most games

I’m not sure many people who post and dream of lockdown defenses watch a lot of college football. The LSU/ Ole Miss game and the Oregon/ OSU games last night are prime examples Some of the best teams in college football and there’s just not a ton of great defense anymore, they’ve made it difficult in many ways anyway to be a great defense
They watch Syracuse, the NFC East, and rotisserie infomercials

The problem is a lack of speed in the secondary, so that whenever a runner or receiver breaks free past the LOS, there is a possibility of a chunk play. Cant teach speed. Maybe we get faster next year.
bingo. we also lost our true freshman corner who I contend is our best coverage guy. We need more recruits like that. Combine that with no depth on defensive line and losing our best LB, we've been treading water.

Our strength is our O and the d just has to be adequate, especially with the injuries. Getting Barnes back, along with Wax, will make a huge difference. Wax is our best blitzing linebacker and having a true cover corner will be a big addition again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom