CFN's prediction for our season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

CFN's prediction for our season

That Colgate game might be closer then people think. From what I have researched they return nearly everybody from a playoff team and have a pretty good run/pass balance versus a lot of teams that have almost zero pass game. Not saying were looking at another Nova situation but this team is no Rhode Island, hope we come out prepared to play as I have seen enough dog fight 1AA games to last me a lifetime.
I agree, it will be a tough challenge for a new coaching staff and system. I hope that the superior athletes on the field (I assume most will be playing for Syracuse) make enough plays to overcome the growing pains.

clemson is no better than what they were the last 2 years and we were in both those games with QB injuries all over the place. Why is this Clemson team suddenly unbeatable? Had we just a stightly less suspect offense we might have stolen one of those last 2 games and I would not be shocked even in year 1 to see some improvement in the offense especially by the 3rd month of the season.

losing to Pitt doesnt mean that they have been all that good, more that we have been bad. we had no business losing to them last year.

That Colgate game might be closer then people think. From what I have researched they return nearly everybody from a playoff team and have a pretty good run/pass balance versus a lot of teams that have almost zero pass game. Not saying were looking at another Nova situation but this team is no Rhode Island, hope we come out prepared to play as I have seen enough dog fight 1AA games to last me a lifetime.

Another factor is that I'd expect Babers won't be looking to tip his hand much, with Louisville looming the following week. Unless Babers isn't like most dinosaur coaches and won't worry about giving the opposition film on the new offense, in which case--who knows?

I like this coach and this offense a lot but lets be honest barring a major injury ( see Clemson's QB two years ago) SU is not winning at Clemson or beating FSU at least not this year.

So there's a zero % chance? C'mon. So defeatist.

I agree that it's a single digit %, but it was 34-27 with 10 minutes to go vs Clemson and they had they Heisman winner and we had a walk-on and a pretty bad O system. (And for the record, Bill C has us at 10% to beat Clemson and 27% to beat FSU, link)

Another factor is that I'd expect Babers won't be looking to tip his hand much, with Louisville looming the following week. Unless Babers isn't like most dinosaur coaches and won't worry about giving the opposition film on the new offense, in which case--who knows?

I don't think there is anything to hide. There is no throttle. There is only "on" and "off"...

:)

I think your likely right about Babers not wanting to go to deep into the well with a big time game the following week in Lville. That said I would like think/hope that if things were closer then expected or god forbid we were somehow behind he would reveal more then he had planned to ensure we got the W.

The problem with these 1AA games is that its hard to get a read on what your going to be in for / how the game will go unless your playing a total dreg ala Wagner or Rhode Island last year or your a top end team like Bama, FSU, Oregon etc. If SU scores on the opening possession vs Colgate and then gets a quick turnover and goes up 14-0 they probably walk away with an easy victory. If we struggle with the new system in the 1st quarter and Colgate scores on a trick play or something and its 7-3 at the end of 1 we could be in for a fight. Coach Babers seems like a real smart guy so I would like to think he will have his team prepared and SU will have a relatively pain free win a la 38-10 or something of that nature. But this Colgate team reminds me of some of those Maine/Stony Brook teams we played under Marrone where the games ended up being a lot closer then they ever should have. With it being the first game of his tenure on offense and with a defense with a lot of question marks and also a new scheme, this game could be a little more difficult then most people realize.

I think your likely right about Babers not wanting to go to deep into the well with a big time game the following week in Lville. That said I would like think/hope that if things were closer then expected or god forbid we were somehow behind he would reveal more then he had planned to ensure we got the W.
I am pretty confident that Babers will do whatever he can to win that game.

So there's a zero % chance? C'mon. So defeatist.

I agree that it's a single digit %, but it was 34-27 with 10 minutes to go vs Clemson and they had they Heisman winner and we had a walk-on and a pretty bad O system. (And for the record, Bill C has us at 10% to beat Clemson and 27% to beat FSU, link)

Look I don't want to get into this with the season not even started yet but no its not defeatist at all its called being a realist. Did SU play really well vs Clemson last year absolutely ditto for the year before as well. But if you think Clemson was ever losing that game your not being honest with yourself. Whenever they "had to have a score" they moved the ball pretty much at will and got 7. Under Babers assuming things improve the way most of us think they will on both sides of the ball I think SU has a legit chance to contend with the upper echelon of the ACC including Clemson and FSU. But were talking a couple of years to get his system fully integrated, the players he needs on the field, getting the Defense up to speed and familiar with the scheme, and getting some confidence in the program. To have him come in and beat one of those two teams in his first year with all of the ? marks this team has, sorry I don't see it.

I am pretty confident that Babers will do whatever he can to win that game.

Absolutely agree, I totally expect SU to win comfortably, just think it maybe closer then expected at least for a half or so or maybe even longer depending on how SU comes out with all new schemes on both sides of the ball. May take a little bit to get everything and everyone on the same page.

JeremyCuse said:
Look I don't want to get into this with the season not even started yet but no its not defeatist at all its called being a realist. Did SU play really well vs Clemson last year absolutely ditto for the year before as well. But if you think Clemson was ever losing that game your not being honest with yourself. Whenever they "had to have a score" they moved the ball pretty much at will and got 7. Under Babers assuming things improve the way most of us think they will on both sides of the ball I think SU has a legit chance to contend with the upper echelon of the ACC including Clemson and FSU. But were talking a couple of years to get his system fully integrated, the players he needs on the field, getting the Defense up to speed and familiar with the scheme, and getting some confidence in the program. To have him come in and beat one of those two teams in his first year with all of the ? marks this team has, sorry I don't see it.

You're having a different conversation than I am. I'm not saying we'll win. I'm saying the % chance is higher than 0.

In fact I'd say I'm being more of a realist than you are, if you believe it's 0%.

You're having a different conversation than I am. I'm not saying we'll win. I'm saying the % chance is higher than 0.

In fact I'd say I'm being more of a realist than you are, if you believe it's 0%.

I'm not putting a % on it, all I am saying is I don't see Syracuse beating FSU or Clemson this season.

Absolutely agree, I totally expect SU to win comfortably, just think it maybe closer then expected at least for a half or so or maybe even longer depending on how SU comes out with all new schemes on both sides of the ball.
I would bet on it being a close game (i.e, being a one-score game in the 4th quarter). I will be completely satisfied with any kind of win under the circumstances.

JeremyCuse said:
I'm not putting a % on it, all I am saying is I don't see Syracuse beating FSU or Clemson this season.

That's 0%, no?

Edit: not trying to be a punk about this at all - just hate reading people saying "no chance" or "auto-loss" ... It's statistically wrong. I'm with you in that if be shocked if we won either game.

That's 0%, no?

Edit: not trying to be a punk about this at all - just hate reading people saying "no chance" or "auto-loss" ... It's statistically wrong. I'm with you in that if be shocked if we won either game.
If one says "I don't see that happening," I don't think it necessarily implies a 0% chance.

Why does everyone say loss to BC and Pitt? We beat BC last year, and barely lost to Pitt. I say we beat both.

I think we've only won at Heinz Field one time, and that was the first year it opened. Since then, all the losses have been pretty bad, except for 2007 when both Pitt & SU were horrific.

To me, we need to show we can win there before I'd predict it.

I'd like to think we can win at BC this year as long as we stay healthy.

That's 0%, no?

I guess put me in the shocked if we won camp. When I said sure loss I meant highly highly unlikely. I would never say 0% because crazy stuff happens and I expect SU to be competitive. But like I said I don't see this team in year 1 under Coach Babers having the ability to beat teams of that level/class. Would love to be wrong but I have seen enough college football to know its likely to take a couple of years for us to get on the level of being able to pull out a W.

I think we've only won at Heinz Field one time, and that was the first year it opened. Since then, all the losses have been pretty bad, except for 2007 when both Pitt & SU were horrific.

To me, we need to show we can win there before I'd predict it.
Syracuse has beaten Pitt twice in fourteen years.

Awful, that really has to change.

Yes that really is frustrating. No way that Pitt should have that kind of stretch against us. I've always considered them a peer program, not one that should be a loss so regularly.

Awful, that really has to change.
The numbers against Boston College are much better, but that is helped by skipping 2005 - 2009, although skipping 2011 and 2012 probably hurts.

The numbers against Boston College are much better, but that is helped by skipping 2005 - 2009, although skipping 2011 and 2012 probably hurts.

BC is an odd team to figure out. They play FSU and other teams to the wire and then other weeks lose to Wake Forest. Last year they were abysmal with that offense and while defensively they should be decent again I don't see that offense being the early 90's Gators this year.

BC is an odd team to figure out. They play FSU and other teams to the wire and then other weeks lose to Wake Forest. Last year they were abysmal with that offense and while defensively they should be decent again I don't see that offense being the early 90's Gators this year.
I don't know if they'll be as good on defense now that Brown has moved on to Michigan.