CFN's prediction for our season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

CFN's prediction for our season

I think we've only won at Heinz Field one time, and that was the first year it opened.

Yep, I was there. Beautiful day a short time after 9/11. The first half was very close but then we came out and laid in the wood in the 2nd half.

If we had a normal schedule i could see 7 wins however our schedule is brutal. 6 wins would be an amazing opening act for the Dino era

I think our schedule is the definition of normal. Our conference slate consists of a few elite teams, a few average teams, and a few bad teams. Our non-conference slate is one elite team, two very mediocre teams and one 1-AA.

I mean that's as normal as it gets.

That is so unacceptable I can hardly stand it.

It's very bizarre how the Cuse/Pitt rivalry has worked in both football and basketball. From around 1990 to about 2002, we completely dominated Pitt in both sports hardly ever losing to them. And then from about 2002 to present, they have completely dominated us in both sports. Maybe the hiring of Babers and the firing of Jamie Dixon can finally swing the pendulum back in the right direction.

Pitt has dominated us because of the fact our offense has sucked. In 2012 we only scored 14 scored on them. Until we turn around the offense we will suck against pier P5 teams.

Meathead football can't work at programs with talent deficiencies.

I think our schedule is the definition of normal. Our conference slate consists of a few elite teams, a few average teams, and a few bad teams. Our non-conference slate is one elite team, two very mediocre teams and one 1-AA.

I mean that's as normal as it gets.

It isn't hard if we take care of business. We have 3 teams that were good last year (Sagarin Top 15). We have 4 teams that were bad last year (85+). So if we beat the bad teams and lose to the good teams, we will be 4-3 with 5 games vs decent teams (30-60 range). Of those 5 we have 4 games at home. We really should go 3-2 in those games, which gets us to 7-5. Again IF we take care of business by beating the bad teams AND protect home field, we will make a Bowl easily.

I don't think we have any built in Ws but we have a bunch of games that we either should win or have a really good chance at winning.

It isn't hard if we take care of business. We have 3 teams that were good last year (Sagarin Top 15). We have 4 teams that were bad last year (85+). So if we beat the bad teams and lose to the good teams, we will be 4-3 with 5 games vs decent teams (30-60 range). Of those 5 we have 4 games at home. We really should go 3-2 in those games, which gets us to 7-5. Again IF we take care of business by beating the bad teams AND protect home field, we will make a Bowl easily.

I agree with all of this. However, until we prove it on the field, we are a "bad team" in every other ACC's respective breakdown like yours above.

I don't even need to read this thread. Right now, if heading into a season, we can guaranteed get to 6 wins and appear in a bowl, I'd take it.

We can have higher expectations than that later. Right now establishing for recruits that if you come here you'll play in bowl games and for the program to get the extra practice time... these are things that shouldn't be passed up.

I'll continue to be a broken record in any prediction thread.

JUST MAKE A BOWL GAME! Practice reps are the key to move the program and players forward. ANY bowl = more reps

BC is an odd team to figure out. They play FSU and other teams to the wire and then other weeks lose to Wake Forest. Last year they were abysmal with that offense and while defensively they should be decent again I don't see that offense being the early 90's Gators this year.
This is college football in a nut shell.

Teams play 12 games. Most teams, even good ones, can only be at peak or near peak (aka "ready to play") 3-4 times per year IMHO. Then about 5-6 times, they are at standard efficiency ("ready to play"). Then about 2-3 times per year, they crater out and are not "ready to play." Don't focus on the numbers too much, more so the idea.

So, why do we complete pretty well with Clemson? We play near peak (in search of a Top 5 win) and they crater because they know they can turn it on and still get the win. Similar scenario at play between BC and Florida State.

I think most CFB fans get frustrated by this. How can my team not be "up" to play every week? After all, they only play 12 games in all? What is so hard about being ready every time out? Well, ask Nick Saban, because even his Crimson Tide battle this phenomena.

My prediction for 2016 ... we will win the VT or Louisville game. Very very unlikely to win both. But there is also a strong likelihood that SU will lose a game we all believe that we'll win (@BC or @ Wake ... perhaps both). We're are hardly a road juggernaut and I am not sure that we'll turn that corner completely in our first year under Coach Babers.

That said, I cannot wait to find out.
I keep reminding myself to enjoy the process of becoming Coach Babers' program.

Yep, I was there. Beautiful day a short time after 9/11. The first half was very close but then we came out and laid in the wood in the 2nd half.

I was there as well.

I remember feeling a little nervous while watching a plane fly directly over Heinz Field at a fairly low altitude.

I'm pretty sure that Mungro had a big day that afternoon.

Last edited:
I was there as well.

I remember feeling a little nervous while watching a plane fly directly over Heinz Field at a fairly low altitude.

I'm pretty sure that Mungro had a bid day that afternoon.

I can't specifically remember the game, but I'm going to go ahead and guess Freeney had 11 sacks, forced 14 fumbles, and took their 3 best looking cheerleaders home. (might be an oxymoron for Pitt).