Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 102 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
A luxury we can’t afford to lose yeah I agree. He’s the guy I want the most

That's insane, we do not need him and I am not so sure he is a good fit, certainly far from a great fit, especially if Girard is on the floor w/ Buddy & Elijah, we can kiss our defense goodbye which means for sure we would have lost every game in the Tourney (even though we would have only played ASU), who is playing PG and who is playing defense or even better since JG is not a true point guard, JG, BB, EH and JC on the floor at same time, we better make every shot.

A few observations & questions, please note, I do believe what he has accomplished in 3 years in HS is incredible, everything i read he is a great kid, great family, etc., etc., I am not saying I do not want him wearing Orange, I am saying i have questions and potential concerns...there is nothing wrong with looking at both sides of the coin.

Basketball is a team sport, how many points per game does his HS team average? How many shots does the rest of the team take per game?

How many assists per game? He has to be taking a large % of the team's shots, every single clip we have seen on him is shooting 3 pointers, sometimes dribbling up the floor and shooting over smaller guys, some from the top or right of the key from between NBA 3 and 1/2 Court line (maybe further out than Gerry's shot vs Kansas from top).

I do not follow the stats for HS basketball, but i have read here that his #'s are not nearly as good on the AAU team, how do they comp?

Most importantly, level of competition in HS, how many kids from his team and of all the schools in their league are playing division 1 basketball? What about playing ACC or Big East or Big 10 or SEC or etc. ?

Now on the other hand, he is a lights-out shooter, JG & BB on the floor we are raining 3's, but at what cost?

Knowing he scores 50 points per game, etc. etc., starting QB, etc etc, how will he handle going from
star to being behind everyone below on the depth chart?

Guards - Jalen, Brycen, Buddy, HWJ,
Forwards - Elijah, Marek, Robert, Quincy
Centers - Sidibe and TBD

Hopefully Oshae goes PRO, b/c if he does he had a great year which means we had a great year, if he is on the team next year well we know what it means.

Then for the following year, we are def. bringing in more guards, could be as high as 3 more guards for 2020-21, very possible Jalen, Brycen, HWJ and Eljiah all gone at that point.

Buddy is playing guard go forward (after this season - post Battle).

Joe walks in and he's got 4.5* guys on front of him, really depending on who else joins the program, could be more could be less, even if he moves above HWJ on the depth chart, he is not getting in the game while Jalen is running the show and never coming out (after this season).

He's behind these guys and I am sure this is why he has not committed, yes he would be a great luxury
He might be waiting for Stewart,

On the other hand, Buddy has to know what both of these guys are doing or at least have a very good feel for it, he speaks with his father about recruiting and he was a leader and very well respected player on his AAU team and at Brewster, i would also think he speaks to either one of those guys or other guys that know, they all talk. What does all of this mean? Why would JB fly to Indy if we didn't have a real shot with Stewart, wouldn't happen.

Jalen
Brycen
Buddy
HWJ
Elijah *

so at the end of the day, Girard would be a luxury (for me)

Last edited:
He's obviously not coming here in my opinion.

I agree with you Orangefan1, however 2 guys that know more than me and u think he is going Orange, and guess what, i still do not believe it, UNLESS is has to do w/ Stewart

If JG,III ends up at Syracuse, it is because both the coaching staff and JG, III want it to happen.

Outside of Boston College and Penn State, JGIII is not a starter in his freshman year (and probably not his sophomore year) at any other school in his final six. (correction: it looks like he may also have a chance to start at Notre Dame.)

It will be whatever he wants to do (be a 4yr starter, be a spot up shooter, and/or a bench player). Do not discount him or second guess his abilities. Wherever he goes, he has the spirit, strength and motivation to play and contribute. It is in his physical makeup. He is prepared to be a player.

Last edited:
H0T Takes! H0T Takes everywhere!
DD709DEC-7261-4524-B1A7-67ADDFC9EADF.gif

If JG,III ends up at Syracuse, it is because both the coaching staff and JG, III want it to happen.

Outside of Boston College and Penn State, JGIII is not a starter in his freshman year (and probably not his sophomore year) at any other school in his final six. (correction: it looks like he may also have a chance to start at Notre Dame.)

It will be whatever he wants to do (be a 4yr starter, be a spot up shooter, and/or a bench player). Do not discount him or second guess his abilities. Wherever he goes, he has the spirit, strength and motivation to play and contribute. It is in his physical makeup. He is prepared to be a player.

I’m fine with that but things change every year. We don’t know what kind of a year Carey will have maybe he blows up and leaves...then what? Then we have Goodine and really nobody else. It’s too bad Girard isn’t thinking that way because we have had players who say they aren’t going to leave then leave after one year. I could name a few of them. But Girard is capable of starting here year 1, the problem is he needs to believe it to. This whole for nonsense to I mean he could play the one or the two

While I don't think JG3 is a make it or break it recruit, I'd really love to land him because I think he projects as a four year player. As I've written before, the guy is a winner. Another important factor, is that IMO we may have to deal with age/negative recruiting the closer we get to JB's retirement. Having some program guys that will stick around may prove to be valuable.

I don't care whether he starts or not -- we need guys, even off the bench, who can fill it up. As demonstrated last year, when you don't have guys who can put the ball in the basket, offense is a massive struggle.

Would love to see Girard come here for that reason -- point guard, shooting guard, who cares?

Also, I think it is a fool's errand to try to project the roster, especially two or more seasons down the road. Attrition seems to be highly unpredictable with our program.

I don't care whether he starts or not -- we need guys, even off the bench, who can fill it up. As demonstrated last year, when you don't have guys who can put the ball in the basket, offense is a massive struggle.

Would love to see Girard come here for that reason -- point guard, shooting guard, who cares?

Also, I think it is a fool's errand to try to project the roster, especially two or more seasons down the road. Attrition seems to be highly unpredictable with our program.
trueeeeeeeeeeeee story..no one projected Battle to be back

Works both ways--Battle, Dolezaj, and Brissett are all still here. I don't think anyone predicted that last April 1.

We need guys like Girard in my opinion. Someone with some grit and a NY guy. We seem to be losing these guys more and more and we need to stop that

Works both ways--Battle, Dolezaj, and Brissett are all still here. I don't think anyone predicted that last April 1.

Sure it does -- that's why it is unpredictable. But just when you start getting comfortable with what our depth will look like, players leave, get injured, transfer, etc.

And when things look dire, sometimes you get a pleasant surprise when a kid like CJ or Battle decide to return.

Tough to project. So, the best option is to stockpile the best talent you can, not worry about how the depth chart shapes up "on paper," and let the players sort it out in practice.

May the best players earn the PT / spot in the rotation.

I’m just shocked really if you told me BC or Penn State were going to get Girards services to start this I would of said your crazy. I don’t think it’s the greatest move for him to go to a mediocre team. Just being honest he will never win at BC or Penn State I’m sorry but that’s just the reality of it. and no matter what papa Girard says to his son. Seems like Papa Girard wants him to go away idk that’s just my opinion.

how do you measure grit?

i'd be hard pressed to argue that last year's team wasn't gritty.

It’s an intangible you can’t teach. Gerry has it and I think Girard with a good tutor would have that toughness to

Btw why wasn’t girard invited this weekend for the SU game? Just saying instead he’s hanging out with Penn State

Btw why wasn’t girard invited this weekend for the SU game? Just saying instead he’s hanging out with Penn State

How do you now that he wasn't? Maybe he made the decision to see PSU instead of Cuse this weekend.

Also, maybe the staff wants solely focus on closing Kai Jones?

I know nothing about a invite to the game but what does that have to do with pe n state visiting TODAY and the game is TOMORROW? He lives close and can certainly come hang out at the game if he was indeed invited to it...pretty sure the penn state coaches arent hanging out all weekend with him.

I’m fine with that but things change every year. We don’t know what kind of a year Carey will have maybe he blows up and leaves...then what? Then we have Goodine and really nobody else. It’s too bad Girard isn’t thinking that way because we have had players who say they aren’t going to leave then leave after one year. I could name a few of them. But Girard is capable of starting here year 1, the problem is he needs to believe it to. This whole for nonsense to I mean he could play the one or the two

hughes? buddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors