Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 116 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penn State is a sleeping giant. If they ever make the right hire (maybe they have already) there is no reason that they can’t be very competitive. They just have never really gone all in on Basketball. Great facilities, great campus, excellent academic school, great conference association. HUGE rabid other sport fanbase that with a couple of winning seasons should be able to be awakened to hoops.

I like them much better than BC, which I think is always going to be behind the curve as a program.
If I had a dime for every coach who called the program they just took over “a sleeping giant.” It’s a nice sales pitch to administrators and fans. But Once a coach takes over, they soon realize there are limitations, just like almost very other program. Hop said it about Washington too. He might get them to be a regular upper echelon program in the crappy PAC-12, but that does not make them a “giant.” It even took Jay Wright years to get Nova, which had a rich history, to the giant level they’re now at.

If BC and PSU are really our top two competitors for JG3, it's interesting to note that BC has three commitments in this class so far... all three are shooting guards. Of course JG3 is ranked higher, but taking 4 guards in one class would be unusual. I think it's between Syracuse and Penn State. If he wants to compete in March he wears Orange.

Maybe.
Jalen Carey will also be a sophomore and probably be the team’s star. He, Buddy, Goodine and maybe Hughes (if he doesn’t stay at SF) will be the main guards. Girard won’t play much as a frosh, barring injury. But he could have a very big role as a junior and senior.
Maybe. Eventually it all proves out on the court. I think this kid breaks from conventional wisdom and shatters preconceptions. Just a feeling.

Last edited:
If I had a dime for every coach who called the program they just took over “a sleeping giant.” It’s a nice sales pitch to administrators and fans. But Once a coach takes over, they soon realize there are limitations, just like almost very other program. Hop said it about Washington too. He might get them to be a regular upper echelon program in the crappy PAC-12, but that does not make them a “giant.” It even took Jay Wright years to get Nova, which had a rich history, to the giant level they’re now at.

I'm not sure how much history plays into a program's future potential. CCNY and San Fransico have history, but isn't going to buy them a future. A position in a P5 conference, great facilities, a great alumni donor base, $$$$, a good athletic administration, good coaching and recruiting are what give a program a future. Penn State is well situated with several of the most difficult elements. That is my point, not that they are as good as Syracuse or any other top 25 type program.

i mean if being a football school and having money is the standard to be a good basketball school then LSU, FSU, Georgia and Texas wouldn’t have such mediocre historical basketball resumes.

I work in Glens Falls and yesterday was told by someone pretty close to his family that BC was the front runner. But until the actual decision I always take comments like that with a grain of salt. I’m hoping he decides on Cuse, but we shall see...

It’s been a loooooooong time since there was any noise about Michigan. Whatevs

Good grief. We beat Michigan out for Battle.

And Jalen Carey had offers from: Kansas, Nova, Miami, UConn, etc.

I guess none of those were commitable. :p

OSB’s offers included: Oregon, Oklahoma, BC, ASU, USC, UCLA, Maryland, Cal

We just can’t beat out anybody for anybody ever!
I blame GMac. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online