Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 135 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen him play?

A few times. Ball handling speed needs improvement, off the ball he can move so with the ball you will see improvement. A lot like Marek he is in the right place at the right time. Sees the court well and anticipates very well.

I have seen him play both a few times (actually more football), and I don't know anything about how his skill will fit in or not, or what he will be, but I do know 2 things - 1) he will not be scared of opponents, venues or moments, you can tell the kid has confidence and toughness. 2) he will be the best FT shooter on the team for the next 4 years. With him and Buddy on the floor at the end of games we are going to be able to close people out at the line.

There was no hype when Flynn was signed. He was seen as an afterthought to Paul Harris. There was a lot of hype about him after his brilliant Co-MVP McDonald,s performance complete with baseline drives ending with tomahawk dunks, and feeds to Green etc.

If i recall flynn was like mcw. Going from no stars to five.

Now if he’s still growing a few inches, gets stronger and devolops his handle then we got ourselves a formidable force to be reckoned with.

This is fantastic news - we really needed to have one fall our way - now let's start focusing on convincing Chuckwu to file for another year. I totally understand the reasons why he may not want to do this and will support any decision he makes but it would be a hell of a cornerstone to build next years team around. I am not discounting Sidibe but could you imagine him at power forward with Dolezaj at small forward? Let's not take our foot off the gas pedal as we reclaim our position in college basketball and let the ACC know we are here for real.

Ummmmm.

Help me MSOrange .

This is a great quote from Mike Waters recent article. Love that he is coming in with this perspective. RF2044 pointed this out as well.

"I think he wants to be pushed,'' Girard's father continued. " A couple of the schools he could've gone in and played right away. At Syracuse, he's going to go in and he's going to get pushed in practice. Day in and day out. He'll have to earn his keep. But he's a confident kid. He's confident in himself. GMac has confidence in him. Coach Boeheim has confidence in him. He'll get it done.''

Today's quote in the Albany Times Union from Dad for anyone who questions his Dad's feelings.

"You have to be comfortable with passing your son off to somebody that you have been grooming for this since he could walk," Girard Jr. said. "You want to be comfortable that those guys are going to treat him the same way. Who better to do that than Gerry McNamara, who is the same player as Joe, and a Hall of Famer in Jim Boeheim? And you get to do it in your backyard?

Girard is giving Orange his shot

The part where Dad say's 'grooming for this since he could walk'. Go check out post #4 and post #13.

Where'd you see that?

If that is the case good for the kid controlling his recruitment. Some parents/handlers control it way to much.

His dad talked about how they had been fighting over his college choice, and that "they weren't friends for a while", something like that. Very weird. I'm just hoping he doesn't turn into another Lavar Ball.

Last edited:
Today's quote in the Albany Times Union from Dad for anyone who questions his Dad's feelings.

"You have to be comfortable with passing your son off to somebody that you have been grooming for this since he could walk," Girard Jr. said. "You want to be comfortable that those guys are going to treat him the same way. Who better to do that than Gerry McNamara, who is the same player as Joe, and a Hall of Famer in Jim Boeheim? And you get to do it in your backyard?

Girard is giving Orange his shot

The part where Dad say's 'grooming for this since he could walk'. Go check out post #4 and post #13.
You had it pegged from A to Z ... all except the school he'd wind up choosing. ;)

This is a great quote from Mike Waters recent article. Love that he is coming in with this perspective. RF2044 pointed this out as well.

"I think he wants to be pushed,'' Girard's father continued. " A couple of the schools he could've gone in and played right away. At Syracuse, he's going to go in and he's going to get pushed in practice. Day in and day out. He'll have to earn his keep. But he's a confident kid. He's confident in himself. GMac has confidence in him. Coach Boeheim has confidence in him. He'll get it done.''
subtext to that quote is that syracuse has a scary amount of talent stockpiled

Not a huge fan of his, but he's a local kid who can shoot very well and scores in bulk. We HAD to get him, and it's a good pickup for Gerry. Obviously not mad that we got him, but it's one we needed to get.

Not a huge fan of his, but he's a local kid who can shoot very well and scores in bulk. We HAD to get him, and it's a good pickup for Gerry. Obviously not mad that we got him, but it's one we needed to get.

I like the get and hope he exceeds expectations much like Gerry. If he is the path to landing Stewart then I really like this get.

Never thought we'd get him.

Thought here's another Dookie commit.

Love to beat Duke, Notre Dame, and Michigan for a top recruit and anyone who says Joe isn't a big time recruit is peeing down somebody's back and telling them it's raining.

Small school, big school, whatever school, any kid, in this case, a 6' 2” guard who can average, as a junior, 50 points a game for a season and over 3300 going into his senior year is pretty amazing. Three time NYS player of the year and NY State Gatorade Player of the year.

Now we have to concentrate on Stewart his EYBL teammate which JB is doing after Stewart officially visited us this weekend.

Good for us & GOSU! :)

For the record, you offended me as well and I expect an apology ASAP
Dang. Why is what I said a buzzkill? We got a player we wanted. I'm thrilled, and very excited about Joe being from NYS. Hope he brings a ton of fans to games! That said, Duke has been out of this recruitment for a long time, so has ND. Stating a fact is wrong? Joe chose SU over PSU and BC. And I wasn't going after TrueBlue, or trying to ruining his night. I love his enthusiasm for SU. I was just was offering what I had seen. I apologize for offending you both so badly. I can't wait for JG3 to be in Orange!

I this Jb and GMac deserve a lot of credit for this one. JG III had plenty of great opportunities and took his time and came to the conclusion that Cuse was right for him. It doesn't matter that Michigan, Duke and Notre Dame gave up on him late, they likely saw it as a lost cause in large part. If he had wanted to go to those schools he could have and it is a feather in the program's cap that he chose Cuse.
Also credit JG III for having the confidence not to go to a lesser program like BC for playing time. BC has a cute little gym, an indifferent fanbase and poor practice facilities. He would have never seen the tournament there. I like that JG III had the stones to bet on himself and go to a school where he will fight for time against other good players and where he will ultimately become the best player he can be as a result.
Last I hate the nonsense some have espoused that because he isn't 6'4 and did not play against top competition in high school therefore he will struggle at Cuse. I don't buy that garbage. Guys who score 50 ppg know what they are doing and are stone cold killers. JG III will bring another top shooter to the program to go with Buddy and make big buckets for us from the outside and will also score in the different ways that 50 ppg scorers do. This kid has been nothing but impressive on the court and was dignified during the recruiting process. Credit the staff for landing him.

Yes...it was a pretty similar following and reaction IMHO. GMac was a bit higher rated recruit (we'll see how JG3 does this season and maybe climb into the 4/5 star zone) but both were high scorers who took their high school to great athletic heights. Both players had the whole community behind them. I expect to see a lot of new fans in the Glen Falls area. Maybe the difference now is the Internet and media push is much bigger now.

I do remember that we fans were worried when Duke came in late and posed a perceived threat. But, it all worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom