Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

I'm not concerned about shooting or toughness with JG3 and if he is going to continue to improve with better competition I think he could be valuable in year 3 and 4. He really needs to improve his ball handling. That is the main thing I think he needs to work on. He seems like a really hard working kid so that is certainly possible. It is hard for me to project because I can't think of a kid like him we have had. GMac is a much better ball handler so it's hard for me to compare them. Who is another 6'1" off guard we have recruited that has come here.
You are comparing the ball handling of a kid still entering senior year HS to Gmac when, because he was not noted for his handle in HS.

Orangezoo

Hall of Fame
So something about Gmac. Gerry played in the same league as my school so we played them every year. Gerry had a decent handle in HS but not all that different from JG3 and he would often not bring the ball up the court playing off the ball for long stretches. Gerry was extremely quick to attack and to get his shot off which played a big role in somewhat off setting a fairly pedestrian handle. I would say his handle was slightly better than JG3s at the same time but not a huge difference. Take this from someone who saw probably 60 of GMacs games in HS as we used to go watch him given the excitement of that kind of player in little ole NEPA.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Magistrate
Did JG Jr. really say this about Rutgers. Oh my!!!
"He's been recruited since the eighth grade," Girard, Jr. said. "We've been to all the schools. We uncovered every rock. We would dissect things. It was a tough decision. I mean, how do you say no to Oklahoma and Rutgers? Those are dream schools. I told him, go with your gut."

Girard III makes his pick

"He's been recruited since the eighth grade," Girard, Jr. said. "We've been to all the schools. We uncovered every rock. We would dissect things. It was a tough decision. I mean, how do you say no to Oklahoma and Rutgers? Those are dream schools. I told him, go with your gut."

Nightmares.

Girard

MikeSU02

All American
Haven't seen too much of the kid (but obviously very happy we got him)...

Seems like he's a shooter, can anyone tell me 1) can he catch and shoot well (did he play off ball enough to get reps doing this), 2) can he shoot off the dribble well and 3) can he knock down shots coming off screens?

I'm not hung up on his position, I think they're basically outdated. Just want to see how versatile his shooting was against high level competition and what we can expect when he gets here.

HoustonCuse

Hall of Fame

Girard III makes his pick
Well, here's one way to say no to Rutgers:

Haven't seen too much of the kid (but obviously very happy we got him)...

Seems like he's a shooter, can anyone tell me 1) can he catch and shoot well (did he play off ball enough to get reps doing this), 2) can he shoot off the dribble well and 3) can he knock down shots coming off screens?

I'm not hung up on his position, I think they're basically outdated. Just want to see how versatile his shooting was against high level competition and what we can expect when he gets here.
I would say shooting (no matter what scenario) is the only thing we don’t have to question about his game.

DoctorBombay

All American
" You are, what your record says you are"! - Bill Parcells

I don't care if it's Igor's Tavern League, your local CYO, semi-pro in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, or Wilt in the NBA.
You AVERAGE 50 pts a game, then you're bringing something to the table. If every great coach in cbb from K, JB, Bielein, et al... were ready to sign this kid, then who the hell am I to question THAT record?
Welcome aboard, JGIIII!
LG friken' O

Top Bottom