Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 166 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akok Akok was the 4 star talent his junior year, not Ajok. The guy we lost to UConn. JBA is not in his class, and Akok Akok was a four star.

Yes, Guerrier is a very good player. I compared him to C.J. Fair. Is that an insult?
Do you think he is the next Andrew Wiggins? Because I don't see it. He's not R.J. Barrett, either.

Goodine could be very good. Is he Mali, who I believe was a Mickey Dee - a first round pick who can hit the three at 35%+ as a frosh, or is he something less than that?

Girard's dad thought SU might be too tough for him to see the court right away.
Who is going to sit at guard so that Joe plays? He's not a pure point, that's why I compared him to Jimmy Lee.

Carey is the closest thing we have on the roster to an actual PG, other than Howard Washington, and Washington's just not dynamic enough with the ball in his hands, IMO. Carey is going to play. I think he will cut down his turnovers when he knows he not getting yanked out over every mistake. He's not sitting for Girard. Girard isn't going to start at PG for us next year; he'll be the back-up though. That's not bad for a frosh.

You over rate Carey, he has one thing going and that is his quickness, but his shot, ball handling, and decision making are weak. He needs work on his basketball skills before he can be our full time PG and we have team success. Will he be the best we have? Maybe, but if he is with no improvements, we will be in for a long year

JGIII has another big game in the state semis as Glen Falls defeated Olean who was #1 in state B, by 20 points. His line was pretty impressive, 39points, 13 rebounds, and 9 assists. Quite the stat stuffer. They play in the state finals today against Lowville.
Rumor is that JG has sprained ankle and lowville is the best they have played all year in their class in Ny

You over rate Carey, he has one thing going and that is his quickness, but his shot, ball handling, and decision making are weak. He needs work on his basketball skills before he can be our full time PG and we have team success. Will he be the best we have? Maybe, but if he is with no improvements, we will be in for a long year

I guarantee to you that Carey as a soph will be better than Frank as a soph. How's that for now?

Historically, consensus 4 stars are usually around 25-60. Not all Mickey Dee's are 5 stars, and in most rankings I've ever seen, I don't recall any guy in the 70s, 80s or 90s being a 4 star recruit.

But that's just me. I've only been following recruiting for 20+ years, so I could be wrong.
in this case, you are.
wrong, that is.

His defense is great. He's probably our best on ball defender at guard since Jason Hart. Defense gets you on the floor for JB. He will start.

I’ve been following recruiting the last 20 years as well and I don’t remember Anyone in the top 100 ever not being a 4 star prospect.

Agreed. Top 100 has historically been the baseline for 4 stars. We have seen it expand to an undefined number usually around 125 recently. But I never recall the cutoff being anything less than 100. And I have also been following recruiting for 20+ years.

in this case, you are.
wrong, that is.

Go look at Verbal Recruits for composite rankings, not just one site's list.
Because despite how lazy and copycat some of these sites have become, not everybody's lists match.
That's why you see ratings like 4.3, 3.7 and even 3.3 for some borderline top 100 recruits.

This is last summer.
while he was coming back from injury, but by all means don't account for all the variables in your assessment. that's a popular approach around here

Agreed. Top 100 has historically been the baseline for 4 stars. We have seen it expand to an undefined number usually around 125 recently. But I never recall the cutoff being anything less than 100. And I have also been following recruiting for 20+ years.

Well, there's always grade inflation, too. Grades didn't used to be so generous.

while he was coming back from injury, but by all means don't account for all the variables in your assessment. that's a popular approach around here

Did his injury affect his dribbling and his hands?

Go look at Verbal Recruits for composite rankings, not just one site's list.
Because despite how lazy and copycat some of these sites have become, not everybody's lists match.
That's why you see ratings like 4.3, 3.7 and even 3.3 for some borderline top 100 recruits.
this is an odd hill to choose to die on, matt

Did his injury affect his dribbling and his hands?
maybe, who knows? not you or i, that's for sure. we have next to no specific knowledge

in any case, let's take this discussion over to the jba thread and keep this one focused on jgiii

Last edited:
Rumor is that JG has sprained ankle and lowville is the best they have played all year in their class in Ny

He had a significant limp after the game yesterday. He came back out to watch Lowville game and had ice bags on ankle and both knees. They will get him ready to play. I expect a very tight game tonight for the title.

His defense is great. He's probably our best on ball defender at guard since Jason Hart. Defense gets you on the floor for JB. He will start.

You may be right, but as I said if his other skills do not improve significantly, he will be playing a lot of defense and we will be in for a long year. We need offense next year and someone who can control the offense withou turns, if he can also give us that then yes he will probably start. But if not the position will be open for he who can. Try outs begin in practice next year. No one will have a lock on the position.

Headed out to see tonight’s game. Would like to say I will stick around to see my alma mater West Genesee in their final too, but still getting my sea legs back under me after an overseas business trip and this old man may not last past 9!

Wow t a crowding forming does recruiting know he’s being followed and where the hell is he now

FYI for anyone coming they are way behind. The C and D games both went into overtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom