Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this way ... then I spent a season watching Taurean Thompson and Andrew White play defense, and Tyler Lydon play the 5.

Last year's team was far more enjoyable to watch then Tyus and Frank passing it back and forth on the perimeter and then going 1 on 1 and bricking a jumper.

Part of being a good fit is playing time. As best I can determine, Joe can only play 2G.

The best natural position for BB, EH, JC and BG is 2G.

Yes, JC and BG will play some PG too but Syracuse has a ton of playing time booked at 2G for the foreseeable future. Especially if Buddy redshirts, which I think is likely.

JB doesn't play many players. If you aren't in the top 7, you just aren't likely to get much PT.

I don't see the fit. This makes no sense to me.

Not sure if you are right about that, he plays point in high school. I am pretty sure nobody expected Gerry to play point, but that is where he played a good part of his career.

You also compare Buddy and Joe on the AAU circuit, but Buddy is like two years older than Joe. Comparison is not really valid, would be if they were projected in the same class, but they are not. Joe may not be as tall but he is still growing, Buddy has maxed.

I just think we should offer, and let head to head competition decide play time. Joe is a talented player, may or may not pan out, but he is in our territory and we should offer him at the least. I would give any kid scoring like this a shot. He is also QB on his football team, to me that is worth something too. Kid is a competitor, I want competitors.

One other thing BB is a swing, he will be playing as much or more at the three.

Last edited:
And for the record Buddy is a year older. Not two. Not sure where that post came from.

I hope Buddy delivers big time or people will remember that we didn't offer Girard. If Girard goes to Michigan and tears it up, and Buddy struggles, this will be questioned. For now, I have to hope/trust that we are making the correct call. Time will tell, and I hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

I hope Buddy delivers big time or people will remember that we didn't offer Girard. If Girard goes to Michigan and tears it up, and Buddy struggles, this will be questioned. For now, I have to hope/trust that we are making the correct call. Time will tell, and I hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

That would require Girard to play well to. I don’t know why this board is acting like Buddy is chopped liver compared to Girard. Buddy would probably be putting up similar numbers at JD had he stayed there this year.

Personally, I think we have room for another scorer, but it seems that I am in the minority. That being said, I can understand why Girard might not be interested in going to a school that is projected to be guard heavy, so that could quite possibly be why he hasn't been offered. No doubt we could use a couple more big men.

That would require Girard to play well to. I don’t know why this board is acting like Buddy is chopped liver compared to Girard. Buddy would probably be putting up similar numbers at JD had he stayed there this year.

I stated, IF Girard is tearing it up and Buddy struggles, the decision not to offer will be questioned. I did not say or imply that Buddy was chopped liver. I agree that they are comparable players. But the nature of this message board is that most of us routinely Monday morning quarterback. I think there will be a lot of pressure on Buddy. I hope he lights it up here. I also think we could seriously regret not offering Girard. Time will tell. I can like them both... it doesn't have to be one or the other.

There will be lots of pressure on Girard to just simply because he’s an upstate kid.

There will be lots of pressure on Girard to just simply because he’s an upstate kid.
If he comes to Syracuse. Lately we've missed out on a few Upstaters who have chosen to go to schools from 5 hours away, like Huerter to across the country, like the kid who went to Washington with Hop from Albany Academy whose name is escaping me. No one wants to stay home and play in front of family and friends. Boggles my mind when you look at our NBA draft record

If he comes to Syracuse. Lately we've missed out on a few Upstaters who have chosen to go to schools from 5 hours away, like Huerter to across the country, like the kid who went to Washington with Hop from Albany Academy whose name is escaping me. No one wants to stay home and play in front of family and friends. Boggles my mind when you look at our NBA draft record

Missing on Huerter is the only move that bothers me.

We weren’t getting Wright this year because we have way too many forwards and we wanted him for 2018. Frankly Bazley is better than him anyway.

It's my understanding that Syracuse doesn't have much of a chance to land him - and an offer today, 1, 2 or 3 years ago would have made no difference. It's Michigan all the way and he's starting to field calls from everyone - including Duke.

As a New Yorker I would just enjoy his State accomplishments and wish him well. At the present I highly doubt he's coming here. If I hear something changes I'll update.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that Syracuse doesn't have much of a chance to land him - and an offer today, 1, 2 or 3 years ago would have made no difference. It's Michigan all the way and he's starting to field calls from everyone - including Duke.

As a New Yorker I would just enjoy his State accomplishments and wish him well. At the present I highly doubt he's coming here. If I hear something changes I'll update.

When he left campus without an offer being extended [right when his recruiting was beginning to blow up on other fronts], it was apparent that we wouldn't remain in contention for long.

What about the other side? What if Buddy ends up being great and Girard, not so much? Would you then look back and give the program(JB) credit for finding the better talent? These mid level talents are the toughest to figure out, you just don't know what they'll be in 3-4 years. We have a future team packed with guards(one of whom is already signed, and has the exact same skill set as Girard, with the last name Boeheim). Pretty sure it was an easy call for JB to pick that one.

What kind of an outrage would there be, if Buddy went to Gonzaga and blew up there? And most importantly...would GMAC still get blamed!!! :rolling:

What about the other side? What if Buddy ends up being great and Girard, not so much? Would you then look back and give the program(JB) credit for finding the better talent? These mid level talents are the toughest to figure out, you just don't know what they'll be in 3-4 years. We have a future team packed with guards(one of whom is already signed, and has the exact same skill set as Girard, with the last name Boeheim). Pretty sure it was an easy call for JB to pick that one.

What kind of an outrage would there be, if Buddy went to Gonzaga and blew up there? And most importantly...would GMAC still get blamed!!! :rolling:

Of course it works both ways. If Girard sucks and Buddy is amazing then all props will be given... it's not easy as you state to guess which of these mid level talents will make it. I wish we didn't have to choose between them. I think we should take both. That's my stance.

Of course it works both ways. If Girard sucks and Buddy is amazing then all props will be given... it's not easy as you state to guess which of these mid level talents will make it. I wish we didn't have to choose between them. I think we should take both. That's my stance.
I’m fully on board with the “you can never have enough shooters” stance.

Nobody or at least I am not saying that, but they are not in the same position or the same year, therfore saying you can not take one because of the other is bull. I can not see why taking another scorer should be such an impossible thing to do.

Stop with the red herrings. They both might be great and if they are I want them both at Syracuse. No offer definitely means not great here.

I’m trying to find a legit reason why people think Girard would blow up instead of Buddy and I still don’t have one.
I do not know he will, but I can give you a reason he might. Joe is the all time leading scorer in NYS history, Buddy although a good player did not come close to sniffing that rarified air.

No offer is definitely no chance. Syracuse has one advantage, proximity. You are right he may select another school, which is true for every player.
Beilein may or may not have the inside track, but his family could see him play much easier at SU or even BC. Michigan is a pretty good jaunt from Glens Falls.

No offer is definitely no chance. Syracuse has one advantage, proximity. You are right he may select another school, which is true for every player.
Beilein may or may not have the inside track, but his family could see him play much easier at SU or even BC. Michigan is a pretty good jaunt from Glens Falls.
See Ga. Tech game...we have too many shooters now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom