Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we aren't an offensive team... shouldn't we try to add offense? At the end of the day, the team that can put the ball in the basket more than the other team wins.

but I am cheering for anyone in this modern era who embraces the greatness of high school athletics.

I hate that the sense of community and competing for your school has largely been pushed aside by the chase for scholarships......largely talking about the levels of kids below the most elite athletes, but the effect cascades down from them.

Last edited:
Correction, we haven't been an offensive juggernaut in recent years. Check out the 2010 team stats ... we went 30-5, ran PrR and scored 81 points a game with Triche, Scoop and Andy up top and Ricky and Arinze inside. All we need is the horses.

Those teams had numerous scoring threats and a deep transition encouraging offense.

We have an Andy (size and skillset) in Buddy and Girard does not seem like the facilitator/gunner that scoop was.

I think Girard’s a top 75 2019 talent, I just struggle seeing his fit at Syracuse. We seem to be built for long, athletic, skilled players who can breakdown offenses in the zone and then hopefully sustain transition or facilitate a half court offense need be.

Maybe I’m missing something and I’m fine admitting that.

Girards a scorer at the highschool level...

(This may sound absurd and i invite all immediate criticism)

But who would be a better fit for guard depth?

Him or Adams Woods? Mika’s developing well and is a facilitator rather than a focal point.

Woods is redundant with Goodine in the fold.

I want Quinones.

Woods is redundant with Goodine in the fold.

I want Quinones.
Figured he’d be a non threatening depth addition (with potential to contribute later) seeing as it’s possible we’ll have a large portion of our 2018 squad leaving.

Those teams had numerous scoring threats and a deep transition encouraging offense.

We have an Andy (size and skillset) in Buddy and Girard does not seem like the facilitator/gunner that scoop was.

I think Girard’s a top 75 2018 talent, I just struggle seeing his fit at Syracuse. We seem to be built for long, athletic, skilled players who can breakdown offenses in the zone and then hopefully sustain transition or facilitate a half court offense need be.

I think you're on point ... just offering a different perspective (time) regarding your comment about our offensive capabilities.

I think Girard’s a top 75 2019 talent, I just struggle seeing his fit at Syracuse. We seem to be built for long, athletic, skilled players who can breakdown offenses in the zone and then hopefully sustain transition or facilitate a half court offense need be.

Wow...just realized that GMac isn't a fit for our program! Problem is a lot of commentators haven't been following the program ling enough, or otherwise define things through the short view.

In terms of stereotypes Joe is not a good fit for our program. That does not mean that he cannot have a meaningful role here.

I think a big issue is that we have a coach who is very set in his ways and will put D first most of the time.

if Joe came here he would have an uphill battle to prove he could play D at a high enough level.

I am sure PT will be a big factor in his decision. If he is thinking strictly O then he should not come here, if he wants the challenge of improving his all around game and earning PT at both ends of the floor then we would be a fit for him.

If he is thinking next level, he will have to play D, and even though we are strictly Zone, he would learn many principals that would help him to play man if he in fact has sufficient athleticism. Jimmy will not let him play one dimensionally, it will be up to Joe if he views that as a positive or a negative.

He could go elsewhere and be a scorer, but wo D that won't get him to the next level other than maybe as an end of bencher.

Wow...just realized that GMac isn't a fit for our program! Problem is a lot of commentators haven't been following the program ling enough, or otherwise define things through the short view.

1 player vs the past decade of evidence. I watched all of Gerry’s seasons. Things have changed since, the game’s changed. That was nearly 15 years ago

We are an offensive minded program with a coach who adapts skillfully to his personnel.

I’m simply saying that the zone is an important part of our success, in the present and historically.

In terms of stereotypes Joe is not a good fit for our program. That does not mean that he cannot have a meaningful role here.

I think a big issue is that we have a coach who is very set in his ways and will put D first most of the time.

if Joe came here he would have an uphill battle to prove he could play D at a high enough level.

I am sure PT will be a big factor in his decision. If he is thinking strictly O then he should not come here, if he wants the challenge of improving his all around game and earning PT at both ends of the floor then we would be a fit for him.

If he is thinking next level, he will have to play D, and even though we are strictly Zone, he would learn many principals that would help him to play man if he in fact has sufficient athleticism. Jimmy will not let him play one dimensionally, it will be up to Joe if he views that as a positive or a negative.

He could go elsewhere and be a scorer, but wo D that won't get him to the next level other than maybe as an end of bencher.
Genuine question. What guard on City Rocks matches up vs the opponents p5 guards?

Genuine question. What guard on City Rocks matches up vs the opponents p5 guards?

Huh?

Not sure i understand the question. But it's the same league Goodine plays in and they face the best talent in the country if that is what you are asking.

GMac hasn't laced them up for Cuse for a dozen years now.

The last 'small' guard JB recruited, was Jonny.
Which was a decade ago.

Sherm was a Frosh when I was a Soph, so I think I've been following long enough at this point.

I'm just not sure how you 'sell' JGIII on SU, when he's clearly not a fit for what we've been doing for most of his own lifetime.

Hey! Come to SU and be "non-threatening bench depth!!"
Yeah, sign me up for that. :rolleyes:

IF he wanted to come to SU, we'd welcome him with open arms.
But I don't really see why he would choose that, with so many other solid options that are likely a MUCH better fit for him and what he does.
And I really don't think JB and staff are BS artists who tell kids whatever they want to hear, just to get them to sign.

Huh?

Not sure i understand the question. But it's the same league Goodine plays in and they face the best talent in the country if that is what you are asking.

He's asking a good question. Is Girard assigned to defend the other teams best offensive guard? Is he good/average/bad on defense? If he needs alot of work on his defensive skills he isn't going to get alot of PT as a freshman.

Huh?

Just thinking if Mika and The younger kid usually have to match up vs the other team’s stud guards in place of Girard it may be telling of his defensive ability vs highschool prospects.

We are an offensive minded program but our zone gives us an edge.

GMac hasn't laced them up for Cuse for a dozen years now.

The last 'small' guard JB recruited, was Jonny.
Which was a decade ago.

Sherm was a Frosh when I was a Soph, so I think I've been following long enough at this point.

I'm just not sure how you 'sell' JGIII on SU, when he's clearly not a fit for what we've been doing for most of his own lifetime.

Hey! Come to SU and be "non-threatening bench depth!!"
Yeah, sign me up for that. :rolleyes:

IF he wanted to come to SU, we'd welcome him with open arms.
But I don't really see why he would choose that, with so many other solid options that are likely a MUCH better fit for him and what he does.
And I really don't think JB and staff are BS artists who tell kids whatever they want to hear, just to get them to sign.
We could not have gone harder after small guard Quade, so we do recruit them if the overall fit is there.

Difference is Quade was going to be a PG and run the show. Seemed like QG was very quick and athletic.

Not sure Joe checks enough of those boxes beyond being a shooter.

Or we could let the coaches figure it out.
Well, yes of course. But this is a fan forum with limited inside info, so I think it’s alright to discuss potential reasoning for the limited info available on the recruitment of this high profile (30+ offers) prospect.

For me I think his offensive output vs p5 quality talent may not justify the liability he may be in the zone.

May sound like a hot take. But i think its backed up by his drop in production from hs to aau circut ball as well as the fact that his fellow guards seem to take on the higher profile defensive matchups.

I dont think the staff isn’t big on him or we’re “recruiting out of in state duty”, I’m just thinking he may not fit our system as well as other school’s and we may have alternative better fitting prospects higher on our board.

We could not have gone harder after small guard Quade, so we do recruit them if the overall fit is there.

Difference is Quade was going to be a PG and run the show. Seemed like QG was very quick and athletic.

Yeah QG’s a pg first facilitator, girard seems to be a score first shooter. Also green was a borderline 5 star talent

Oh yeah, forgot about Plan Q.
Which is easy to do, since - you know. :mad:

Agreed - JGIII is a helluva shooter (a la GMac) but maybe not enough of a lead/PG type for our style.

Well, yes of course. But this is a fan forum with limited inside info, so I think it’s alright to discuss potential reasoning for the limited info available on the recruitment of this high profile (30+ offers) prospect.

For me I think his offensive output vs p5 quality talent may not justify the liability he may be in the zone.

May sound like a hot take. But i think its backed up by his drop in production from hs to aau circut ball as well as the fact that his fellow guards seem to take on the higher profile defensive matchups.

I dont think the staff isn’t big on him or we’re “recruiting out of in state duty”, I’m just thinking he may not fit our system as well as other school’s and we may have alternative better fitting prospects higher on our board.

Operative phrase: "limited info available". The last time I second-guessed the coaches on who they were recruiting was when they got Lawrence Moten. I wanted a big guy and wondered "Why do we need another 6-5 guy?" Moten was nothing special on measureables or particular skills but he he was a good all-around player who kept moving for 40 minutes and made his defender do the same thing. When he got an open shot BOOM. it didn't matter where it was. He wasn't a great athlete and he was mediocre beyond the arc but he became our and the Big East's all-time leading scorer. The coaches knew what he had. I didn't.

Thus, my philosophy is to root for them to get the guys they want and then make my own judgments when I see them play here. If they go hard after Girard, they will have reasons why.

IMO, the writing is on the wall with this one... too many homies writing about how Girard doesn't fit our system, how Buddy is better, or Bertram is better... the offer is a token offer, with zero intent to bring him in. Girard will see lots of bench time if he goes to Duke. I see him going to Michigan. Oh well... :confused:

So what you’re saying is you are going to Make a stink if he doesn’t come here because we may prefer other players?

Girard's talent is coming off the bench and hitting some three's. And opening up the court for other players to do their thing.

It's crazy that this thread is 58 pages but I think the biggest consensus is that Cuse never uses all of it's scholarship allotment and it would be crazy to not use one on a local kid whose biggest talent is putting the ball in the basket (at a greater rate than anyone in NYS history).

No one is saying this kid is going to be a college POY, but if he does blow up like Jimmer Fredette did, than shame on us if he wants to come him and we really don't want him (because he is not a prototypical Cuse guard).

Girard's talent is coming off the bench and hitting some three's. And opening up the court for other players to do their thing.

It's crazy that this thread is 58 pages but I think the biggest consensus is that Cuse never uses all of it's scholarship allotment and it would be crazy to not use one on a local kid whose biggest talent is putting the ball in the basket (at a greater rate than anyone in NYS history).

No one is saying this kid is going to be a college POY, but if he does blow up like Jimmer Fredette did, than shame on us if he wants to come him and we really don't want him (because he is not a prototypical Cuse guard).
Im not sure his numbers thus far in AAU suggest he’s the next jimmer, but I see your point. Was just speaking my mind. Forums are for conversing and bouncing plausible ideas back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom