Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 74 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't want to sound negative towards JGIII but I dont think his prospects of getting to the NBA as a 6 foot shooter with questionable athleticism is likely at any school he attends.

Totally get that but they said the same thing about steph curry. I know he's on a whole different level/beast but it was definitely said to him

Totally get that but they said the same thing about steph curry. I know he's on a whole different level/beast but it was definitely said to him
From the numbers i've seen from Girard shooting wise he is not in the same stratosphere to where Steph was in High School, not to mention he was a pure PG with excellent passing who had athleticism but was just very underdeveloped physically.

FWIW Girard had a 34 inch vertical in USA tryouts. That’s pretty good for a 17 year old. Lots of stereotyping going on here.

Girard is very athletic. That’s a great VJ. I’d put him above GMac and on par or above Devo, Grayson Allen, or even Mateen Cleaves (former dual threat Qb). He’s thicker than either GMac or Devo as well.

Girard is very athletic. That’s a great VJ. I’d put him above GMac and on par or above Devo, Grayson Allen, or even Mateen Cleaves (former dual threat Qb). He’s thicker than either GMac or Devo as well.
I must be trippin, but Grayson Allen(even though I want to punch his face) is an extremely athletic kid, so if Girard is on that level, that'll be great!

Can't believe I just said something semi nice about that buttwad!:bat:

FWIW Girard had a 34 inch vertical in USA tryouts. That’s pretty good for a 17 year old. Lots of stereotyping going on here.
A 34 inch vert. is certainly decent. He also plays FB (two sport ath.). There's no doubt, in a general sense, he's athletic. I certainly didn't mean to categorize white guys, if that's what you meant (and I think it's great you call it out). But "athletic" at the ACC level is ... well something else. OB's athletic. I wouldn't say that about HW, or even FH (nor did I use that descriptor for GMAC).

For JGIII, there are legitimate questions. I don't think we should jump to the stereotype label. If he wasn't "athletic" in a general (D-1 level) sense, he wouldn't even be an SU recruit. The issue is ... is he talented enough athletically to score over size at the rim, to stay in front of ACC guards ... some of whom will be NBA prospects. It's a different level. That's what I mean when I question his "athleticism" -- the defensive quickness to check ACC guards, the speed to run transition and the handle to separate and drive the lane. Because if he can't do those things, he'll be one-dimensional, played to shoot and face guarded.

Last edited:
A 34 inch vert. is certainly decent. He also plays FB (two sport ath.). There's no doubt, in a general sense, he's athletic. I certainly didn't mean to categorize white guys, if that's what you meant (and I think it's great you call it out). But "athletic" at the ACC level is ... well something else. OB's athletic. I wouldn't say that about HW, or even FH (or did I use that descriptor for GMAC).

For JGIII, there are legitimate questions. I don't think we should jump to the stereotype label. If he wasn't "athletic" in a general (D-1 athlete) sense, he wouldn't even be an SU recruit. The issue is ... is he talented enough athletically to score over size at the rim, to stay in front of ACC guards ... some of whom will be NBA prospects. It's another level. That's what I mean when I question his "athleticism" -- the defensive quickness to check ACC guards, the speed to run transition and the handle to separate and drive the lane. Because if he can't do those things, he'll be one-dimensional, played to shoot and face guarded.
To add to this from what I've seen of JG I don't think he's as athletic as Cooney is and we saw plenty of times how he was completely taken out of a game by being face guarded.

Battle had a 38 inch vertical away the combine and he’s physically more mature. I’m not saying Girard is Oshae, but I still think people are underselling him.

To add to this from what I've seen of JG I don't think he's as athletic as Cooney is and we saw plenty of times how he was completely taken out of a game by being face guarded.

What does being face guarded have to do with athleticism? JG3 is as athletic as Cooney. Cooney was definitely athletic though. He was probably sold short to.

Grayson Allen tested as a freak athlete at the NBA Draft Combine. Girard is a good athlete, great for the Albany area but Allen is special even among NBA players.

Grayson Allen has some ridiculous NBA Combine stats

I just read that the average vertical jump for men is 16-20 inches. Could that possibly be true?
1531882181972.jpeg

Very athletic hmmmm

Very athletic hmmmm
Yeah, count me as one of the skeptics. 34 inches is fine, but its not going to make up for the fact that he 6 foot flat and doesn't have long arms (based on pictures of him). The shorter you are, the more freakishly athletic you have to be to make up for it (think Nate Robinson). I'd love to get him, but I have a hard time seeing him as an top player for us since he doesn't seem to have the handle/vision to be an ACC point guard, and I think his size will be an issue at the top of the zone for us, especially if he has to share the court with a point guard. Now, if he can play PG well for us, I might change my mind, but as of right now, I don't think he's gonna be skilled enough.

Ummm, not for nothing, but i think I’ll defer to JB, K, and Bielein’s assessment on whether JGIII is gonna be effective at the next level.
They seem convinced, or they wouldn’t be recruiting him, no? No offense to all the keyboard John Woodens on this forum. :rolleyes:

His shooting range will force defences to adjust and account for him. This alone makes him valuable. My concern is on D. He is very small for the top of the zone.

Sounds like...dare I say it...Cooney?

G3 actually reminds me of Marty.

Head? I just thought Cooney because he had a nice shot and was by far more athletic than a lot of people thought, jumping wise. If JG3 has a better shot or more consistent that would be a good thing but I see your point about size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom