Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're missing the point of my opinion(not pushing it as fact) here. JB knows this kid's game well and for some reason(I don't know why) has not offered.

I am fully on board that this kid deserves a shot...but for some reason, it has not happened. As I said, you can never have enough shooters!(at least as long as the rest of the roster is set!)

But let's look at the other offers out to 2019 guards and I think it's pretty apparent why he's not getting as much love as he should.

There are prospects that let SU coaching staff know early on that they don’t think they are an SU fit and the coaches just move on. It isn’t always that SU doesn’t see the fit, sometimes it is prospect that sees other programs offering an offensive system that better fits their game.

Absolute malpractice if we don't offer him
Love this kid. Would love to see him in orange. Significant duplication in terms of his skill set and our coming roster.

Unless he could play PG, why would SU be interested in a6-1 or 6-2 shooting guard. Last year I heard all the complaints about Gillon and his poor D at the top of the zone. SU likes length in their guards and this year we are seeing the defensive advantages we have with that kind of lineup.

Honest question. Do we even know if he’s interested in Cuse?

Kid has a pretty flawless jump shot. If we have a scholly available I think we should offer. Pretty much in our territory. Seems to be every bit as good as GMAC was and that worked for us. The combination of he and Buddy shooting would really open up the driving lanes for the bigs.
I think Beilein might have the inside track but yet to offer. Academics unknown by me. I have not seen enough to gage his ball handling skills. Seems that his skill set would scream shooting guard.
I think we may come to regret not trying to get this kid.

Kid has a pretty flawless jump shot. If we have a scholly available I think we should offer. Pretty much in our territory. Seems to be every bit as good as GMAC was and that worked for us. The combination of he and Buddy shooting would really open up the driving lanes for the bigs.
I think Beilein might have the inside track but yet to offer. Academics unknown by me. I have not seen enough to gage his ball handling skills. Seems that his skill set would scream shooting guard.
It is certainly possible (I have absolutely no inside info) that he has no interest in SU, and made that known to the staff. If that is the case, why waste time, energy, and resources 'recruiting' a kid who won't come. We've seen this situation before (e.g., kid makes it known he won't play zone). Or maybe the staff has identified something. Or the staff has players higher on their board. Again, I have no idea. But obviously there is something going on, and in this day and age, it's not that the staff is ignoring him.
upload_2017-12-18_6-53-17.gif

It is certainly possible (I have absolutely no inside info) that he has no interest in SU, and made that known to the staff. If that is the case, why waste time, energy, and resources 'recruiting' a kid who won't come. We've seen this situation before (e.g., kid makes it known he won't play zone). Or maybe the staff has identified something. Or the staff has players higher on their board. Again, I have no idea. But obviously there is something going on, and in this day and age, it's not that the staff is ignoring him. View attachment 117552
Kind of what I was thinking. Just odd that a kid that shoots like this isn't being strongly considered, considering where he is located and what AAU team he is playing on.

It is certainly possible (I have absolutely no inside info) that he has no interest in SU, and made that known to the staff. If that is the case, why waste time, energy, and resources 'recruiting' a kid who won't come. We've seen this situation before (e.g., kid makes it known he won't play zone). Or maybe the staff has identified something. Or the staff has players higher on their board. Again, I have no idea. But obviously there is something going on, and in this day and age, it's not that the staff is ignoring him. View attachment 117552

He's interested. He's been to Syracuse a bunch of times and they even asked Syracuse last year if he should continue to play football. Syracuse encouraged him as did Michigan.

I've said this a few times before. Girard has a HUGE extended family and very tight knit. He'd go away from home to play but they'd prefer him to be close; within driving distance. If Syracuse came through with an offer they'd be VERY hard to beat. There's only a couple of programs who'd give them pause.

He's interested. He's been to Syracuse a bunch of times and they even asked Syracuse last year if he should continue to play football. Syracuse encouraged him as did Michigan.

I've said this a few times before. Girard has a HUGE extended family and very tight knit. He'd go away from home to play but they'd prefer him to be close; within driving distance. If Syracuse came through with an offer they'd be VERY hard to beat. There's only a couple of programs who'd give them pause.
It's just tough, especially in our system, to have a 6'2 SG who can't really create off the dribble or set teammates up. We saw the struggle with that for 4 years with Cooney, and Cooney was 2 inches taller and a LOT stronger and more athletic by the looks of things. And sure, he might be a much better shooter than Cooney, but it's hard to see him as a great fit for us. Much better for him and us that he goes to ND or Michigan. Essentially, our SG's have to do 2 of 3 things: be tall (6'4 at least) and laterally quick on defense, shoot really well, and/or be able to drive and create for others. Looks to me like Girard is really good at one.

All of our recent past good SG's fit this profile:
Battle: All 3.
Cooney: Shooting and (towards the end Defense).
Gbinije: Defense and shooting (and at the end creating)
Triche: Solid but not great at all 3.
Waiters: All 3.
Rautins: Shooting, Defense, (And towards the end creating).
Devo: Shooting, Creating.

Now if he was a pg, it would be a different conversation...

Last edited:
It's just tough, especially in our system, to have a 6'2 SG who can't really create off the dribble or set teammates up. We saw the struggle with that for 4 years with Cooney, and Cooney was 2 inches taller and a LOT stronger and more athletic by the looks of things. And sure, he might be a much better shooter than Cooney, but it's hard to see him as a great fit for us. Much better for him and us that he goes to ND or Michigan. Essentially, our SG's have to do 2 of 3 things: be tall (6'4 at least) and laterally quick on defense, shoot really well, and/or be able to drive and create for others. Looks to me like Girard is really good at one.

All of our recent past good SG's fit this profile:
Battle: All 3.
Cooney: Shooting and (towards the end Defense).
Gbinije: Defense and shooting (and at the end creating)
Triche: Solid but not great at all 3.
Waiters: All 3.
Rautins: Shooting, Defense, (And towards the end creating).
Devo: Shooting, Creating.

Now if he was a pg, it would be a different conversation...
As I've posted above, my first reaction was that he's not SU caliber because of his size and (lack of) ability off the bounce. Then he grew (6/2). He's now playing FB and has bulked up,and is scoring at an even higher rate. How the staff views him is unclear. But as an interested fan, I'd rather have him in reserve using a 12th/13th scholly than drilling shots against us on ND. True, TC was a little taller and possibly more athletic and it took him 3+ years to be able to drive the ball with any chance of finishing. On the other hand, this would be a development/program kid. We play lots of teams that are smaller than we are and if he's a 50%+ outside shooter I think he could get minutes against a zone/smaller team. DGMW, I LOVE size in the zone, but let's face it, when we play BC or Nova, a 6'2 lights out shooter isn't going to hurt us unless he's totally incapable of playing defense at the ACC level.

Last edited:
As I've posted above, my first reaction was that he's not SU caliber because of his size and (lack of) ability off the bounce. Then he grew (6/2). He's now playing FB and has bulked up,and is scoring at an even higher rate. How the staff views him is unclear. But as an interested fan, I'd rather have him in reserve using a 12th/13th scholly than drilling shots against us on ND. True, TC was a little taller and possibly more athletic and it took him 3+ years to be able to drive the ball with any chance of finishing. On the other hand, this would be a program kid. We play lots of teams that are smaller than we are and if he's a 50%+ outside shooter I think he could get minutes against a zone/smaller team. DGMW, I LOVE size in the zone, but let's face it, when we play BC or Nova, a 6'2 lights out shooter isn't going to hurt us unless he's totally incapable of playing defense at the ACC level. Doesn't sou

where is everyone getting this 6-2 height from ?

He also gets his shots off very quickly, which is a tremendous advantage as long as you can maintain accuracy, and he does.

where is everyone getting this 6-2 height from ?

He is listed as either 6'1" or 6'2" on sports site that can not be mentioned here. Two different heights depending on where you look on the site. Listed as 6'2" 180lbs on his hudl profile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors