Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 114 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused, why is Penn State in the running? Is he planing to play football? Does Penn State have a basketball program? I don't get it.

I'm confused, why is Penn State in the running? Is he planing to play football? Does Penn State have a basketball program? I don't get it.

Penn State wasn't much worse than we were last year to be honest. Obviously we have a much better reputation, and 2017 might have just been a fluke year for them, but this isn't Rutgers or anything.

BC is a player in this. Pretty sure he went to st Mary’s st Alphonus catholic school before Hs. Smaller setting in Boston great academics, ACC. All a factor

They were a bubble team pretty much the whole year, much like Syracuse.
And they lost their best player, Tony Carr, and don’t really have a comparable talent to replace him. They’ll be taking a step back.

His upper class years could be special for him, just hope that if he does pick SU, and I think he will, that the fan base has the patience, don't think we do, to not label him a bust before his Junior year as it will take some time. One thing is for sure if he does make it and does play well his legacy will go far beyond what he could create at any other school on that list, lets do this Joe.

So their high water mark season wasn't quite as good as our low water mark.

More or less, yeah (last year also wasn't our low water mark). I mean, nobody in their right mind would argue that Penn State is a better basketball school, but he might not be choosing his school based on that. Maybe he believes Penn State can build off of last season and be a borderline tournament team while offering him a larger role than he would theoretically have at Syracuse.

penn state is to basketball as syracuse university is to football
At least syracuse has some history of success in football. I don't think Penn st has ever been anything in bball. I'd think someone like Houston or UNLV would be a better bball analog to SU football.

Penn State lost two guards so if he wants to play right away it’s a good spot, but no way is their program comparable to ours. They’re predicted to have a rough year.

Penn State lost two guards so if he wants to play right away it’s a good spot, but no way is their program comparable to ours. They’re predicted to have a rough year.

I’m tired of this argument. Syracuse could lose several players next year. Joes the only other guard we are recruiting. Boeheim will find time for him to play. These are ACC teams and Big Ten teams that are always competitive for player positions in the court. I’m confident he will find a place to play at Syracuse if he commits.

I’m tired of this argument. Syracuse could lose several players next year. Joes the only other guard we are recruiting. Boeheim will find time for him to play. These are ACC teams and Big Ten teams that are always competitive for player positions in the court. I’m confident he will find a place to play at Syracuse if he commits.

We already have Goodine signed who’s a guard and he won’t play ahead of Buddy. At best he’s our third guard next year and at worst he’s the fifth. I don’t blame him if he doesn’t want to come here because of that.

At least syracuse has some history of success in football. I don't think Penn st has ever been anything in bball. I'd think someone like Houston or UNLV would be a better bball analog to SU football.

I don’t disagree but the same people use the opposite arguments when discussing recruiting.

Basketball recruit: Play for Syracuse! Top ten school! National TV! Who cares if you’ll play right away at PSU? They suck!

Football recruit: Play for Syracuse! Immediate playing time!*. Who cares if Penn State is top ten? They’ll recruit over you next year!

*Not for long obv. Dino Babers taking us places!

This might be unpopular, but I really don't think he could go wrong with any of his choices. It really only comes down to what's important to him -- being the man featured in a high volume scoring role, or being part of a winner.

If he wants unlimited shots and to be the focal point of an offensive attack a la his mentor, Jimmer Fredette, then BC makes a lot of sense [ditto PSU from that standpoint, even though their entire university / fanbase is inherent scum]. BC offers a great education, too.

He'd be perfect at ND, get a chance to play a ton, be on good teams, and he'd get a great education.

I don't believe that he's a priority for either Michigan or Duke anymore, but he'd get elite educations at either school, and perhaps be in a system that "fits' a player of his size. Might get recruited over at Michigan, though, and certainly would at Duke.

Here, he'd be close to home, he'd get to be part of an elite program, he'd good a great education, and he'd have the opportunity to pull a lot of fans from ENY to follow his exploits.

I'm biased -- so I think SU offers the best combination of pros with the fewest cons.

Last edited:
We already have Goodine signed who’s a guard and he won’t play ahead of Buddy. At best he’s our third guard next year and at worst he’s the fifth. I don’t blame him if he doesn’t want to come here because of that.

True, but depth is transient. The last few years have certainly taught us that.

What seems like a stacked depth chart can change quickly in college hoops.

Plus, we play three guards -- so he could still have a huge role, even as the third guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom