Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 152 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it kind of comical when people question if he can do the same in college. He will adapt as his competition is greater, and the biggest thing is we aren’t turning a great athlete into a hopeful scorer like we always try to do. This kid scores the ball. Simple. He is as pure of a shooter with the ball in his hand since gmac. To consistently score 50 points a game is unbelievable, regardless of competition. I am so happy he chose cuse. He is going to be the fan favorite for the next 4 years.

I find it kind of comical when people question if he can do the same in college. He will adapt as his competition is greater, and the biggest thing is we aren’t turning a great athlete into a hopeful scorer like we always try to do. This kid scores the ball. Simple. He is as pure of a shooter with the ball in his hand since gmac. To consistently score 50 points a game is unbelievable, regardless of competition. I am so happy he chose cuse. He is going to be the fan favorite for the next 4 years.
This has always been my thing. All the opposing coaches knew he was going to score 50. How many were able to stop him. Weren't any of their players up for the challenge to shut him down. None did. He always found a way to get 50. Not once or twice but every single game. Granted it is only class B but some of the schools in his league are class A. That said, I do not expect him to score 50 ever at Syracuse. My expectation is that he is going to go down as the best 300th ranked player ever.

This has always been my thing. All the opposing coaches knew he was going to score 50. How many were able to stop him. Weren't any of their players up for the challenge to shut him down. None did. He always found a way to get 50. Not once or twice but every single game. Granted it is only class B but some of the schools in his league are class A. That said, I do not expect him to score 50 ever at Syracuse. My expectation is that he is going to go down as the best 300th ranked player ever.
Exactly! Of course he isn’t going to be dropping 50, but he is going to spread out opposing defenses a lot. He has range beyond anything we have seen in awhile.

He’s not ranked 300. He’s ranked 205. Still I get your point.

What I think people are sleeping on, is JG3's coachability, and the ability to adapt. He's doing what his current team needs - scoring. And he'll learn to do the things his future team needs.

I envision JG3 being able to learn the role of a 14ppg, tight ballhandling, distributing point guard. Who also brings closeout FT shooting to the table.

I'm extremely glad he chose SU, will be a pleasure to see him develop.

i don't even look at star ratings/top 100 rankings anymore. they are given out by guys who can't get hired by d1 programs.

i look at it this way: scholarships are scarce commodities that have to be used judiciously. blow too many of them and the coach is looking for a new job. so instead of looking at a player's ranking, see who has offered him scholarships. jgiii was offered by boeheim, beilein and krzyzewski - every one of them a much, much better talent evaluator than jerry meyer or corey evans. john bol ajak held an offer from jay wright among several other p5 schools

it's not like syracuse is kicking over rocks and settling for what they find

edit: and, yes, jb and all coaches have their misses. but go through past year top 25 and 50 lists and look at all the misses there year in and year out.

Last edited:
I have never seen this kid play, but people who have, if Mark Price is the 10 for our model (6' shooter playing PG) where does this kid rank athletically in comparison? I would kill for a 7.
(For you youngsters, Mark Price was an AA at GTech, NBA all-star, and Stephen Thompson could not guard him in college.)

If JG3 was going to Duke, not only would he be top 50, but they would talk about him as the next Bobby H and C Collins. Seems like he goes for 40 every game. Is the competition that bad????

As time goes on, I am more and more excited about him wearing Orange,
i have not seen him play, best case scenario play comparison? mid-level comparison?

How does he comp to Gmac?
How is his lateral movement re the zone?
Can he bring it up against the full court press?

He is an absolute great shooter, he will get open looks, but what i am trying to say is how is the rest of his game?
How can JB play JG3 and BB together on the floor? Goodine, JG3, BB, OB, Marek? or QG, OB, Marek, BB and JG3?

I heard from someone who watched him recently. He said he's a better version of GMac. Great off the dribble. Can manufacture his own shots, which is perfect for our pro-style iso offense.

If JG3 was going to Duke, not only would he be top 50, but they would talk about him as the next Bobby H and C Collins. Seems like he goes for 40 every game. Is the competition that bad????

As time goes on, I am more and more excited about him wearing Orange,
i have not seen him play, best case scenario play comparison? mid-level comparison?

How does he comp to Gmac?
How is his lateral movement re the zone?
Can he bring it up against the full court press?

He is an absolute great shooter, he will get open looks, but what i am trying to say is how is the rest of his game?
How can JB play JG3 and BB together on the floor? Goodine, JG3, BB, OB, Marek? or QG, OB, Marek, BB and JG3?
So your assuming Brissett is back, but Jalen is not...

He’s not gonna get much run first year. Too many folks in front of him. And if JC does transfer, we’ll nab woods I bet

I heard from someone who watched him recently. He said he's a better version of GMac. Great off the dribble. Can manufacture his own shots, which is perfect for our pro-style iso offense.

This is more to the post youre responding to but he averages 12 in aau. Something to consider. I think he will struggle getting to the basket at the next level initially. He isnt that athletic for d1 but more deliberate with the ball. Ennis was deliberate though and was a lottery pick as a frosh.

This is more to the post youre responding to but he averages 12 in aau. Something to consider. I think he will struggle getting to the basket at the next level initially. He isnt that athletic for d1 but more deliberate with the ball. Ennis was deliberate though and was a lottery pick as a frosh.
i've never seen him myself but people who have tell me he's more athletic than gmac was & will come in with better initial pg skills if asked to play there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom