Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 153 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is more to the post youre responding to but he averages 12 in aau. Something to consider. I think he will struggle getting to the basket at the next level initially. He isnt that athletic for d1 but more deliberate with the ball. Ennis was deliberate though and was a lottery pick as a frosh.
How much should he have averaged in AAU play? It seems like 12 ppg in that league is pretty respectable. It's not like they were going to build the team around him.

How much should he have averaged in AAU play? It seems like 12 ppg in that league is pretty respectable. It's not like they were going to build the team around him.

fair question. im not sure we need to put an exact number on it. but this kid is such a great shooter, that if he had the pg skills people are claiming, he would be averaging 20 ppg plus.

and just to be straight, im very excited for jg3. think him and buddy will create a ton of space for guys like brycen jalen (hopefully) and quincy. i think jg will score a ton of points and win a ton of games at cuse. im just not sure i see it at the pg spot.

How does he comp to Gmac?
How is his lateral movement re the zone?
Can he bring it up against the full court press?

He is an absolute great shooter, he will get open looks, but what i am trying to say is how is the rest of his game?
How can JB play JG3 and BB together on the floor? Goodine, JG3, BB, OB, Marek? or QG, OB, Marek, BB and JG3?
You forgot J Carey and Eli !!

JB is going to have some options. IMO, just need another good center.

If Louisville has a spot for the McMahon kid, we've definitely got a spot for JGIII. I'm not worried about him getting a shot off as much as others I think.

If Louisville has a spot for the McMahon kid, we've definitely got a spot for JGIII. I'm not worried about him getting a shot off as much as others I think.
Me either. Plus he has to be accounted for from NBA 3 and in. He is going to create great driving lanes. If we had a true talent at the 5 we would really be dangerous.

He’s not gonna get much run first year. Too many folks in front of him. And if JC does transfer, we’ll nab woods I bet
Well, I recall JG saying JB wanted to see him play PG before they offered. We will see.
JG,BB,EH, MD and OB might be hard to stop

Well, I recall JG saying JB wanted to see him play PG before they offered. We will see.
JG,BB,EH, MD and OB might be hard to stop
I honestly remember Brycen saying almost the same thing though as JGIII saying "JB is recruiting me for a lead guard spot" or something along those lines. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken! More ballhandlers on the way regardless.

Is there any concern that we will have 4 guards within 1 year of each other? JC and BB as sophs, JG and BG as frosh - Boeheim never plays more than a 3 guard rotation. One of them is going to get squeezed out, and since they're all underclassmen, there's no light at the end of the tunnel (unlike Carey squeezed out this year, but knows that Howard and Batlle are about to leave). Might it make sense to redshirt either Goodine or Girard so that they have 2 years of eligibility left down the road after Carey and Buddy are gone? Or am I overthinking this and its it fair to assume that someone just doesn't pan out?

On that second throw he has a huge hitch, almost quadruple pumps before release - hopefully he doesn't need to play 3rd base on an intramural team. Although David Wright got pretty far with similar mechanics. :)

Is there any concern that we will have 4 guards within 1 year of each other? JC and BB as sophs, JG and BG as frosh - Boeheim never plays more than a 3 guard rotation. One of them is going to get squeezed out, and since they're all underclassmen, there's no light at the end of the tunnel (unlike Carey squeezed out this year, but knows that Howard and Batlle are about to leave). Might it make sense to redshirt either Goodine or Girard so that they have 2 years of eligibility left down the road after Carey and Buddy are gone? Or am I overthinking this and its it fair to assume that someone just doesn't pan out?
No way, if one of them gets squeezed out that means that the other 3 earned their PT or they were good enough to see the floor. IMO having too much talent is a good problem to have. Cant please everyone at this level of ball and if they cant earn mins or help the team than they wont play.

No way, if one of them gets squeezed out that means that the other 3 earned their PT or they were good enough to see the floor. IMO having too much talent is a good problem to have. Cant please everyone at this level of ball and if they cant earn mins or help the team than they wont play.
Yeah, good problem for us to have going into next season.

Every time I watch his clips, I look for a reason why he’s not going to be successful at the next level. The “oh, I see why he didn’t have more offers” moment.

Then he drains a shot from 28 feet, and I don’t understand.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a high school player shoot like that. I guess what you don’t see are the 28 footers that miss, but holy crap.

Even in college, it’s hard to guard a guy that far from the hoop when you have 4 other legit scorers on the floor.

Besides being a heck of a scorer I think our program needs a guy with a winning mentality like JG3 has. We dont have anyone on the team that has that dog in them and JG3 has the IT factor. We need a kid like him that wants to win more then anything else. (I know every player wants to win) but this kid has stuff that you cant teach.

Besides being a heck of a scorer I think our program needs a guy with a winning mentality like JG3 has. We dont have anyone on the team that has that dog in them and JG3 has the IT factor. We need a kid like him that wants to win more then anything else. (I know every player wants to win) but this kid has stuff that you cant teach.
That’s a good point. I know people who have seen him and know the game. The first thing out of their mouths isn’t “incredible shooter” or “quick release”...it’s “he’s a tough SOB”.

Every time I watch his clips, I look for a reason why he’s not going to be successful at the next level. The “oh, I see why he didn’t have more offers” moment.

Then he drains a shot from 28 feet, and I don’t understand.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a high school player shoot like that. I guess what you don’t see are the 28 footers that miss, but holy crap.

Even in college, it’s hard to guard a guy that far from the hoop when you have 4 other legit scorers on the floor.
He's not Wilt Chamberlain at Overbrook HS playing against guys a foot smaller than him. He's playing against kids his size and some taller than him. 6 foot is not very tall at any level of basketball. I agree with everything you say. He's obviously a volume shooter but you don't score 50 ppg in 32 minutes every game by being shy. Of all the things that can be said about JG3, the most important thing to me is that not only is he a coaches son (well, technically his coach is his uncle, but his father was a great player at LeMoyne) but the kid is a leader. He's won two state championships in football as a quarterback plus he leads his basketball team to all of these wins. And everyone knows that none of his teammates are going to play at the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom