Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 184 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like basketball in NY as a whole is wayyyy down. I went to Clarkstown South which is AA in section 1. When I played we would be lucky to keep it within 50 against Mt Vernon. Total diff class of kids who played there at that time, now they barely beat South in the section final past couple times which is unfathomable to me. Prep schools in New England take all the top kids, great for the kids but it dillutes the state. Teams like Mt Vernon arent holding on to these top kids anymore

Yep. Same thing is happening upstate. Bertram/Torrance/Buddy/Woods all left for New England at various points.

Couple that with NYC basketball not being what it once was it is kind of sad.

It's rare that a Huerter or Girard stay in high school, but both of those guys were multi sport athletes(Baseball/football).

Girard has better ability to get by people than any of the guards on this year’s team. As he gets bigger and stronger, he will be difficult to deal with.
I have only seen video, but he rinds me a bit of Mark Price and Trea Young as far as size and shooting ability. For those who have seen him in close, I am curious how he compares athletically.

Last edited:
Hes going to be a very good player for us. Gmac was good but he played off Melo and great team. If Joe played on that team he would have done well. Joes surrounding cast isnt in the same gym as Gmacs.

I have only seen video, but he rinds me a bit of Mark Price and Treat Young as far aa size and shooting ability. For those who have seen him in close, I am curious how he compares athletically.

How about this guy?

Magee's a bit taller but his game reminded me of what I saw from JG III in the state title game.

I'll take this career, please:
Fletcher Magee Stats | ESPN

How about this guy?

Magee's a bit taller but his game reminded me of what I saw from JG III in the state title game.

I'll take this career, please:
Fletcher Magee Stats | ESPN

I don't think there's really another player that compares to Magee honestly. Maybe present-day JJ Redick, but even the college and young NBA version of Redick didn't take the shots that Magee does. I suspect Girard will work on the ball a lot more than Magee anyways.

I don't think there's really another player that compares to Magee honestly. Maybe present-day JJ Redick, but even the college and young NBA version of Redick didn't take the shots that Magee does. I suspect Girard will work on the ball a lot more than Magee anyways.

Watch Video "Joe Girard goes off for 66 points in playoffs"

I don't see the spin shots I see from Magee and I don't see Girard catching the ball off a screen and shooting it, mostly because he's got the ball all the time. Joe drives to the basket more. But the range and the quick trigger look similar. So does the lack of conscience. The next one is always going in to these guys.

Both are "I-don't-have-to-guard-him-out-there-oops!" guys. (IDHTGHOTO - I'da go to - for short).

Interesting piece on JG3 in today's Times Union. Cites Curry and Manziel as two of his favorite athletes.

My biggest concern about Girard is the high expectations some are placing on him. If things don’t go the way of meeting those high expectations, one of two people will take a beating here. Girard or Boeheim.

My biggest concern about Girard is the high expectations some are placing on him. If things don’t go the way of meeting those high expectations, one of two people will take a beating here. Girard or Boeheim.
Agree; a combination of Mark Price and Trae Young is a tad unrealistic.

Edit: Just read Price's bio - Wow...

Last edited:
Agree; a combination of Mark Price and Trae Young is a tad unrealistic.

Edit: Just read Price's bio - Wow...
I was really looking at it from an payaÀthletic
point of view. Those guys as smaller PG, who can shoot. If they were 10 athletes, for our scale, where does JG rate:. 5, 8, 9?/

I was really looking at it from an payaÀthletic
point of view. Those guys as smaller PG, who can shoot. If they were 10 athletes, for our scale, where does JG rate:. 5, 8, 9?/
Tough call, especially with his level of competition...
If forced, I would go with a 7-7.5? I would be happy with that...

Kids a straight baller. Puts his heart and soul into everything he does. He’s a leader and always finds a way to win. Something the men’s team has lacked the past few years with the exception of Battle. Cant wait for his next chapter at ‘Cuse. Hopefully he can create a winning culture, rewrite the record books, but most importantly win a national championship.

If I have a concern, it’s that I don’t see him go left much or finish with his left around the rim ever.

Love his range and how he shoots off the dribble, and he seems to have that “magic” where he finds a way to make his team win.

Kyle Guy, anyone?
That is pretty good I think. Not sure on the size of Guy, and I'm sure he was higher rated than JG3, but similar I think in that JG3 has the same kind of "love him on your team hate him if he is on their's" type thing that Guy has.

To go back to the question: if Price, Young, Guy are 10s as athletes (for comparison) and JG is an 8, we should anticipate reasonable success. If he is a 4, then he will likely struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom