Chad Ford draft updates... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford draft updates...

Mal is far better at getting to the rim than Wes. Wes is still pretty terrible off the dribble even today.
I dont think throwing wild shots up is going to the rim.. Wesley dunked it. Mal has a better first step but his lack of strength is why he struggles to get the shots even off the rim at times, compared to where someone like Waiters was when he left.

orangenirvana said:
This is why I find the NBA so comical. Any one of thousands of scenarios could have happened that prevented Syracuse from reaching the second round, much less the Final Four. All of which completely out of the control of Richardson and Lydon. But because those scenarios occurred and they made it to the Final Four, suddenly they're first round picks. It's ridiculous.

Hitting big shots, blocking shots for your team - in the pressure cooker is a pretty good way of determining a lot about a player.

Those games should be worth more to scouts, than any other group of 4 games. But they are not more important than the whole season in total.

I dont think throwing wild shots up is going to the rim.. Wesley dunked it. Mal has a better first step but his lack of strength is why he struggles to get the shots even off the rim at times, compared to where someone like Waiters was when he left.
Lack of strength can be developed though. If a guy has elite talent but needs to fill out his frame, he's getting drafted on his talent. Mali has size, handle, shot making ability and the "it" factor. Put him in a weightlifting/eating regimen and there's your NBA prototype 2G.

At this point, I feel like if someone is fairly certain he's going in the first round, the idea of guaranteed millions is too hard to pass up. Not that I blame them. If they think they go in the 2nd round, my guess is they come back.
I don't blame anybody for taking money if it is needed. Just would suck to see him waste two years in D league like a lot of former Syracuse players or players who bounce around to different teams. It takes away from their future earning potential and it just adds another player to the list of So-So pro players from Cuse.

I hear you but its a big deal because nexts years team could be real good. JB has already said on more than one occasion that next year Mal and TL wont be playing out of position and that Pascal will be a big time rim protector that this years team doesnt have. I think i know what JB was getting at: he thinks next years team could be special. But then again this years team was ELITE 8 and FF worthy.

But this is a fascinating debate. over and over again we on this forum have said that this years team has struggled because G, Mal, TL are playing out of position. Well here they are in the FF! So that begs the question in this thread talking about Mal and TL (and G) as legit nba draft prospects- whats more important : Talent or playing your proper position? When you look at The Cuse, etc and say the GS Warriors, etc it looks like in modern ball maybe talent trumps who you have at traditional positions....

I honestly don't really care one way or another if they leave this year as you just kind of have to accept this will happen as a Syracuse fan. But I'll be shocked if Malachi is a 1st round pick regardless of how talented or untalented the crop of SGs are.

So much depends on who they have around them and what those people are telling (pushing) them to do
Thats what really worries me, i have heard TyRobs people have been....

I hear you but its a big deal because nexts years team could be real good. JB has already said on more than one occasion that next year Mal and TL wont be playing out of position and that Pascal will be a big time rim protector that this years team doesnt have. I think i know what JB was getting at: he thinks next years team could be special. But then again this years team was ELITE 8 and FF worthy.

But this is a fascinating debate. over and over again we on this forum have said that this years team has struggled because G, Mal, TL are playing out of position. Well here they are in the FF! So that begs the question in this thread talking about Mal and TL (and G) as legit nba draft prospects- whats more important : Talent or playing your proper position? When you look at The Cuse, etc and say the GS Warriors, etc it looks like in modern ball maybe talent trumps who you have at traditional positions...
Does Lydon play at the 3 next year? If he's capable, that'll make for quite a frontline of him, Roberson, and Chukwu.

the whole team will be drafted... every damn player is leaving.

anyways, lydon and mali will be back. roberson at the 4 with lydon at the 3. battle and mali up front. chukwu in the paint. insane depth. next year gonna be wild boys

I don't blame anybody for taking money if it is needed. Just would suck to see him waste two years in D league like a lot of former Syracuse players or players who bounce around to different teams. It takes away from their future earning potential and it just adds another player to the list of So-So pro players from Cuse.
Generally, college players turn out to be so-so pros or worse.

If they're going to leave, we better win the whole damn thing
Or if we don't win the whole thing... we need Carolina to completely pound Lydon into submission and for Mali to shoot ice cold from 3 and have his pocket picked 5 times.

Ugh. This crap is really starting to break my spirit. I love being in the FF, but I also don't want the prospect of yet another fatally undermanned team. Without Mali, and our backcourt goes to i t. Without Lydon and our frontcourt firepower and spacing goes to i t.

Last edited:
Does Lydon play at the 3 next year? If he's capable, that'll make for quite a frontline of him, Roberson, and Chukwu.
I dont know. I used to second guess JB all the time but i learned the obvious- he knows what the heck hes doing and whatever he does is fine by me. I like what Orange2389 says above but what throws a monkey wrench in that for me is Howard. I think hes going to be real good next year. So if JB does use a lineup of Howard, Mal, Tyus, TL or TR, Pascal or DC- obviously that puts TL at the 4. Oranges post above puts TL at the 3. Personally i think positions are overrated and modern ball stresses teams have combo guys. Ie combo guards, stretch 4s etc etc. just put your best 5 out and play. Thats what Villanova does

the whole team will be drafted... every damn player is leaving.

anyways, lydon and mali will be back. roberson at the 4 with lydon at the 3. battle and mali up front. chukwu in the paint. insane depth. next year gonna be wild boys

Chukwu over DC to start? Not buying that.

This is the way it works, and has worked for years. The last final four team to not have any departures to the NBA was probably Florida.

This is the way it works, and has worked for years. The last final four team to not have any departures to the NBA was probably Florida.

2012 Louisville?

It's crazy that Buddy Hield could stay at OU for 4 seasons, yet 1 or both of our guys could very well go pro after just 1.

This whole thread is crazy. If you ask my two cents I will sign up for having any recruit to be a key cog in getting us to a FF & then leaving. If anybody stays that is just bonus house money.

Begrudgingly agree. I hate when these guys leave early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom