Chad Ford's latest big board... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford's latest big board...

maybe, but everyone knew MCW was gone. There was zero chance he was staying. I personally feel the same way about Grant this year. The kid is on Sportscenter every week for freakish athletic plays. He is gonna go lottery.
I think this is correct.

maybe, but everyone knew MCW was gone. There was zero chance he was staying. I personally feel the same way about Grant this year. The kid is on Sportscenter every week for freakish athletic plays. He is gonna go lottery.
he's not going lottery unless he starts knocking down some jumpers - not necessarily treys, but just some 15 footers.

whoever is picking just outside the lottery, however - picks 15 to 20 - is going to see a young guy with a great pedigree whose family knows the ins and outs of the Association, and who is every bit the athlete as is Andrew Wiggins - and he is outperforming Wiggins in every category except shooting. That is a pretty appealing consolation prize for a team trying to escape the NBA's First Round Hell.

Grant is 100 percent gone. 100 percent lottery.

The only (small) factor possibly holding him back is that his family has money (presumably still) and he does not have to jump to the NBA to support them. But that likely has negligible impact.

That said, he's probably gone, though I agree with SUFan44 that for the NBA he is too small to play the 4, and doesn't have the handle to play the 3 at an impact level yet. But IMO, the defense is a bit more lax in the relatively meaningless regular season games vis-a-vis the quality games in the college, so that will work in his favor at the 3.

MCW was right around those spots all of last year

Was he? I remember him drifting between 5-15 all year (5 at his peak early in the year and then down to the late lottery as his weaknesses were exposed more).

The only (small) factor possibly holding him back is that his family has money (presumably still) and he does not have to jump to the NBA to support them. But that likely has negligible impact.

That said, he's probably gone, though I agree with SUFan44 that for the NBA he is too small to play the 4, and doesn't have the handle to play the 3 at an impact level yet. But IMO, the defense is a bit more lax in the relatively meaningless regular season games vis-a-vis the quality games in the college, so that will work in his favor at the 3.

I feel like he has the frame to bulk up and become a face-up 4. Like a Blake Griffin, but probably a little longer and not as strong.

Edit: Not saying he'll be anywhere near that good as a pro, but that he can be a face-up PF rather than a back to the basket PF.

he's not going lottery unless he starts knocking down some jumpers - not necessarily treys, but just some 15 footers.

whoever is picking just outside the lottery, however - picks 15 to 20 - is going to see a young guy with a great pedigree whose family knows the ins and outs of the Association, and who is every bit the athlete as is Andrew Wiggins - and he is outperforming Wiggins in every category except shooting. That is a pretty appealing consolation prize for a team trying to escape the NBA's First Round Hell.
I was thinking earlier that his family background has to make him more appealing, for the exact reasons you mention. He has a 12 year veteran and a 17 year veteran to go to for advice and NBA teams know that.

Also, this is just a gut feeling, but the fact he's starting to attempt more jumpers lately strikes me a little as trying to show off his more well rounded game for scouts. I don't REALLY think that's why he's shooting them more, but I can't help but let that idea sneak into the back of my mind...

HarrisonJBounel said:
The only (small) factor possibly holding him back is that his family has money (presumably still) and he does not have to jump to the NBA to support them. But that likely has negligible impact. That said, he's probably gone, though I agree with SUFan44 that for the NBA he is too small to play the 4, and doesn't have the handle to play the 3 at an impact level yet. But IMO, the defense is a bit more lax in the relatively meaningless regular season games vis-a-vis the quality games in the college, so that will work in his favor at the 3.
I don't think his dad's assets play any role. The only reason he'd come back is if he got hurt (god forbid)

i just dont get how people say Grant cant shoot. I think he is a good shooter. He makes a ton of his jumpers. His misses are usually when he plows in to people at the rim.

i just dont get how people say Grant cant shoot. I think he is a good shooter. He makes a ton of his jumpers. His misses are usually when he plows in to people at the rim.
Ford, on his big board, points out that he is only making 34.9% of his 2-point jumpers. That's hardly what I'd call "good."

I think Grant is gone. He a freak athletically, but if he stayed, I don't see him putting up the gigantic numbers in JB's system that would catapult him into high/mid lottery territory.

Ford, on his big board, points out that he is only making 34.9% of his 2-point jumpers. That's hardly what I'd call "good."

I don't know about that. If a 2 point jumper is basically the mid-range, that's probably on par with most other players. Not as good as the elite NBA players or anything, but shooting in the upper 30's and lower 40's is usually pretty solid from that range, so if Grant is shooting around 35% as a raw college player, I don't think that's all that bad. Especially considering they're probably all off the dribble, rather than catch-and-shoot.

His form is odd - nearly a behind the head release. Great because it can't be blocked (from the front) but it seems to have too much arc sometimes resulting in long boards. But I don't think it's his shooting that would hold him back. He needs to do better with his drives. Too often he just careens into the defenders hoping for the bail out. Ended up getting himself blocked by a smaller guy in the BC game the other day. He can be sports center top 10 worthy one play and then very pedestrian the next.

I don't know about that. If a 2 point jumper is basically the mid-range, that's probably on par with most other players. Not as good as the elite NBA players or anything, but shooting in the upper 30's and lower 40's is usually pretty solid from that range, so if Grant is shooting around 35% as a raw college player, I don't think that's all that bad. Especially considering they're probably all off the dribble, rather than catch-and-shoot.

I think he can - and will - play in the NBA with his current profile. But, if he is to move into the lottery, he probably needs to be more well rounded offensively. That means his outside game has to improve; he either has to take and make some 3s, or improve his percentage on his 2 pt. jumpers. He has only taken 4 threes all year (and made none) and I don't think JB wants to see him shooting them, so its the 2 that needs to improve. The other top SF draft candidates - Parker, Wiggins, Young, Dekker - are all taking three pointers and making above 30%, so they have better inside-out games even though they all (except Parker) have similar 2 pt percentages.

the people saying Grant will stay are the same who sad MCW will stay last year. Learn from your mistake. :crazy:
I think Grant is gone, but I also think that's a misguided comparison. MCW was a 6-6, athletic point guard with a defined skillset and position. Grant is a freak athlete who is absolutely a tweener at this stage in his career without a refined or even defined skillset.

It's a much different situation from that standpoint alone. But yes, I think Grant is 99% gone.

Don't understand what Harvey Grant having money has to do with Grant staying or going. I'm sure Jerami doesn't have full access to HGs money and gets whatever he wants. Who knows, maybe Harvey doesn't even have money, a lot of NBA players are broke after a few years after they're done playing. It's all speculation.

Also, if Grants in the lottery, why would you risk coming back? What's the point? If he's a lotto pick and he comes back he has more to lose than gain. A 19-20 year old athletic freak with a shakey jumper is much more appealing than a 20 athletic freak with a shakey jumper. I'm not saying he doesn't improve things but if he doesn't he may fall out of the lottery even after one year, this scenario doesn't even cover injury or academic issues.

He should leave and will leave. Anybody who thinks he should stay either doesn't know the NBA or it's drafts or is just selfish.

just my gut, but I really think TE will be back and JG will be gone

I'll tell you what we should do on Senior Night against GT... chant one more year for this kid because he's an absolute star in 'Cuse and everybody loves him as much as any freshman since Carmelo so far by a long shot.

I think he can - and will - play in the NBA with his current profile. But, if he is to move into the lottery, he probably needs to be more well rounded offensively. That means his outside game has to improve; he either has to take and make some 3s, or improve his percentage on his 2 pt. jumpers. He has only taken 4 threes all year (and made none) and I don't think JB wants to see him shooting them, so its the 2 that needs to improve. The other top SF draft candidates - Parker, Wiggins, Young, Dekker - are all taking three pointers and making above 30%, so they have better inside-out games even though they all (except Parker) have similar 2 pt percentages.
Yeah...I think can play 6-7 years in the league if he never gets any better than he is right now. But, if he wants to be a starter on a decent team, or even a star, he has a looong way to go. Shooting, strength, handle, a left hand, maybe a little floater in the lane, he needs to add at least some of that if he is going to be more than an energy guy off the bench. But, being a special athlete is a good place to start.

To play devil's advocate for a second, where does Grant project? Is he a SF or is he a PF at the NBA level?

If he's a small forward, he definitely has the athletic ability but does he have the ball skills/perimeter game? I do not believe he does yet.

If he's a power forward, does he have the back-to-the-basket game or girth down low to play with more physical guys? I suspect this is also a no.

No question about it he's an elite-tiered athlete that has the ability to impact a game solely based on his leaping ability and quickness. But does that translate into being productive at the NBA level?

I'm still a bit skeptical on Grant's readiness for the NBA. I think he most likely will bolt after this year, but I wish he would come back and take the C.J. Fair approach. Hopefully Fair's decision and ability to come back and have a great senior year will be enough to sway Jerami this way. He most certainly does not need the money the way certain other SF's that have left early have.

That's exactly why I think he should come back for one more season. He is an NBA tweener with no real consistent offensive skills at this point. He could probably go top 15-20 this year, but he could also go top 5 next year if he develops an offensive game over the summer.

I don't even know what I'd consider him. I guess a SF in the way that Josh Smith is. Probably too undersized to bang inside all the time, but no real threat from the outside. A guy that relies on jumping ability and athleticism for much of his production. How many of those guys are there? Grant is athletic, but is he quick enough to be an NBA SF? He doesn't have the lateral agility, IMO, and somewhat looks like a long strider that also lumbers a bit. If he worked his tail off and developed a quicker release and became an outside threat, not only would that open up lanes for him, but would make him a much better NBA prospect.

Or he could pack on some muscle/weight, bulk up and try to become an NBA PF. That's more of what his game is, but he doesn't necessarily have the frame for it right now.

Yeah depending on how far out you define jumpers, 35% isn't terrible. It's not good or anything, but it's not a total joke.

For some reference, last year the league shot 40.3% from 3-9 feet, 42.7% from 10-15 feet, and 38.7% from 16-23 feet. (So when people complain about how the mid range jumper is a lost art; it's also at least partially because it's a low percentage shot) So like I said, Jerami wouldn't be even average from there right now, but he's not hopelessly behind.

I might disagree with your last statement, I feel like the few jumpers Jerami takes, at least from the top of the key, come off ball reversal and are catch and shoot. Well, usually its catch, look around, and then shoot, but you know what I mean. I have no numbers to back that up though.

Yeah...I think can play 6-7 years in the league if he never gets any better than he is right now. But, if he wants to be a starter on a decent team, or even a star, he has a looong way to go. Shooting, strength, handle, a left hand, maybe a little floater in the lane, he needs to add at least some of that if he is going to be more than an energy guy off the bench. But, being a special athlete is a good place to start.

He can work on all of that in the D-League, while making 2 million dollars a year as a lottery pick. He will not be back. Just move on from that prayer and be glad we wont miss him that much anyways. We are loaded for years to come.

Yeah depending on how far out you define jumpers, 35% isn't terrible. It's not good or anything, but it's not a total joke.

For some reference, last year the league shot 40.3% from 3-9 feet, 42.7% from 10-15 feet, and 38.7% from 16-23 feet. (So when people complain about how the mid range jumper is a lost art; it's also at least partially because it's a low percentage shot) So like I said, Jerami wouldn't be even average from there right now, but he's not hopelessly behind.

I might disagree with your last statement, I feel like the few jumpers Jerami takes, at least from the top of the key, come off ball reversal and are catch and shoot. Well, usually its catch, look around, and then shoot, but you know what I mean. I have no numbers to back that up though.

Fair enough. I always seem to notice him looking around and then taking one dribble before awkwardly pulling-up. I gotta give him credit. He makes a lot more of his mid-range shots than you would think when you see his form lol.

Fair enough. I always seem to notice him looking around and then taking one dribble before awkwardly pulling-up. I gotta give him credit. He makes a lot more of his mid-range shots than you would think when you see his form lol.

Yeah you might be right, that was just an off the cuff observation, and I have definitely seen what you saying. He certainly isn't taking many catch and shoot jumpers in the traditional sense; where the play is for him to get a shot off. It's always the second option, if there is no driving lane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom