Chaminade Post-Ohana Thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chaminade Post-Ohana Thoughts

how many times can a guy beat his man, dtive down the lane and no one slide over to stop them. One of them we had 2 guys in the lane and neither moved.

One thing I noticed this week. Fewer charges are being called and fewer players trying to draw them. The new charge rule May have an effect. You have to be established before the offensive player starts his move. Our players can’t use that as an excuse because at times we’re not even in the same zip code area.

One thing I noticed this week. Fewer charges are being called and fewer players trying to draw them. The new charge rule May have an effect. You have to be established before the offensive player starts his move. Our players can’t use that as an excuse because at times we’re not even in the same zip code area.
That may change when we play dook

Chaminade sucks. But you could make a very strong case we won’t see another team all year as good as Gonzaga/Tennessee with the possible exception of Duke.

The LSU/GTown games really show us where we are. I don’t think we can beat UVA at this point.
SU does have the strongest SOS of all ACC teams so far. It shows in the record, but it’s true.

SU does have the strongest SOS of all ACC teams so far. It shows in the record, but it’s true.
I would have thought Purdue or Marquette being that they played each other and didn’t face Chaminade.

I would have thought Purdue or Marquette being that they played each other and didn’t face Chaminade.
They’re not ACC teams. As of today, SU has a cbbref SOS of 7.7, Clemson has a 6.7 and Duke at 3rd has a 4.4. Other than that tho, SU is in the bottom half or quarter in most conference metrics. The Chaminade game certainly boosted their ppg differential.

They’re not ACC teams. As of today, SU has a cbbref SOS of 7.7, Clemson has a 6.7 and Duke at 3rd has a 4.4. Other than that tho, SU is in the bottom half or quarter in most conference metrics. The Chaminade game certainly boosted their ppg differential.
Misread your post including only ACC teams.

How did we hang 105 in one game when we barely did that in the two prior?
I mean - yes, defense was worse, but seriously - we had wide open shots we missed the first two days.
Was it morning (9:30am) versus later in the day?
Or did we figure out the arena?

It will be interesting moving forward to see what changes the coaches implement moving forward.

What I would like to see:
- Either more Mintz off the ball or more Mintz on the bench if he continues to go 1 on 5
- More movement off the ball and in general and more screen action create passing lanes off of penetration. That has to be our game or we are going to average low 70s ppg
- Action set up for Taylor to get some set shots. While he is a good shooter he seems to need help against teams with similar athleticism
- some semblance of a man to man D strategy beyond guard your man. ACC coaches are going to carve up our D with screening action and motion if we continue to play like we do now
- a plan for how to use Benny and Copeland. Both are talented players, but we need to figure out how to use them. I don’t know why we insist on getting Copeland the ball in the corners when he can’t shoot. Can we post him up and let him run the offense from the post? They need to get Benny on the move so he can actually use his athleticism… he’s not a good enough shooter or dribbler to just stand on the 3 point line.
- something to light a fire under these dudes to get a freaking rebound

Red is doing okay in his first season. But I’m disappointed at the lack of a holistic strategy on both offense of defense. It’s like both are only half way installed which might be the case for all I know. Did he just tell the guys to play man and thats it? Where are the adjustments to what the other team is doing? Isn’t the dude from the DMV meant to be an “oc”? What is the plan on offense besides go drive past your man?

We don’t have the talent to use the “roll the ball out strategy”:

I don’t think our schedule is that scary rest of the way apart from the early Jan trips to Duke and UNC.

If we get back on track next week we are probably on course to make the tournament.

They played hard and with energy last night on especially noticeable on the defensive end IMO which was great to see. Unfortunately that defensive energy was virtually nonexistent in all the previous games minus the second half against Colgate (when we also played well offensively) and the first half in spurts against Tennessee we looked energized at least.

One of Red’s biggest challenges may be to see if it’s even possible to get ANY defensive or rebounding ability out of Bell. What he can’t do is let him continue to play significant minutes giving zero effort defensively or on the glass. Bad message if he does.

Benny will not finish his basketball career with Syracuse if I had to bet. He may be a great kid, he may not be, I have no idea. I’m not gonna pretend to know anything of what he has or hasn’t done. That’s none of my business either except it affects my favorite team negatively which obviously sucks. He’s another player who just seems to refuse to buy being a team player IS a BIG DEAL and questionable motor and maturity IMO.

Judah, he plays hard (Offensively) every play there is no doubt there. Decision making is still questionable, being a “leader” on the court to set the example, nope. Defensively, I’m shocked, I’ll just say that. I wasn’t expecting Gary Payton but wow. The bad body language, yelling and whining is infuriating to watch. Basketball has changed but being a leader has not.

JT, we need him to step up more than most people realize. He looks so good both shooting and effort wise at times too, then he gets in these stretches where nothing drops for him and again, we saw two games in a row without a Reb?

If we see them change their defensive intensity it will be a step in the right direction. We don’t have the beef to be a good rebounding team but we shouldn’t be lacking EFFORT, we should be giving MORE effort.

Donnie and Elijah, please have good motors and good attitudes. It will be a shame to see Judah, who has all the ability in the world to be a tremendous basketball player, not make it because of maturity issues.

It will be interesting moving forward to see what changes the coaches implement moving forward.

What I would like to see:
- Either more Mintz off the ball or more Mintz on the bench if he continues to go 1 on 5
- More movement off the ball and in general and more screen action create passing lanes off of penetration. That has to be our game or we are going to average low 70s ppg
- Action set up for Taylor to get some set shots. While he is a good shooter he seems to need help against teams with similar athleticism
- some semblance of a man to man D strategy beyond guard your man. ACC coaches are going to carve up our D with screening action and motion if we continue to play like we do now
- a plan for how to use Benny and Copeland. Both are talented players, but we need to figure out how to use them. I don’t know why we insist on getting Copeland the ball in the corners when he can’t shoot. Can we post him up and let him run the offense from the post? They need to get Benny on the move so he can actually use his athleticism… he’s not a good enough shooter or dribbler to just stand on the 3 point line.
- something to light a fire under these dudes to get a freaking rebound

Red is doing okay in his first season. But I’m disappointed at the lack of a holistic strategy on both offense of defense. It’s like both are only half way installed which might be the case for all I know. Did he just tell the guys to play man and thats it? Where are the adjustments to what the other team is doing? Isn’t the dude from the DMV meant to be an “oc”? What is the plan on offense besides go drive past your man?

We don’t have the talent to use the “roll the ball out strategy”:
He was spot on with his post game press conference last night. We need to share the ball more and assist on our baskets. Have to score more inside and look more to McCloud. He thought our defense was better and the final score in the first two games didn’t indicate how we battled late into the games. Red is seeing the exact same things that we see and said we will continue to get bettter in all areas. They watched a lot of film and recognize all the areas they can improve. Those two losses may be the best thing that happened to this team. I love the fact that we are going to get a lot of tough early games. Sometimes winning masks your deficiencies.

He was spot on with his post game press conference last night. We need to share the ball more and assist on our baskets. Have to score more inside and look more to McCloud. He thought our defense was better and the final score in the first two games didn’t indicate how we battled late into the games. Red is seeing the exact same things that we see and said we will continue to get bettter in all areas. They watched a lot of film and recognize all the areas they can improve. Those two losses may be the best thing that happened to this team. I love the fact that we are going to get a lot of tough early games. Sometimes winning masks your deficiencies.
I think if we beat LSU, the team will have enough confidence to be very competitive vs UVA.

UVA lost to Wisconsin by 25 at home and barely beat West Virginia. They aren’t very good.

Maybe so, but they play a packed in, disciplined defense.
We've only played one game of actual offense so far, and that was against a Division 2 team.

Good summary! Thank you.

The other reason to play these tough games is a loss doesn’t hurt you that much and you learn more than by grinding it out against some random cupcake.

I truly hope Red gets back to scheduling like a big boy school and not one trying to back in to the tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom