Chan Jones Debuted Tonight | Syracusefan.com

Chan Jones Debuted Tonight

DeGrozz

All American
Sports report from Boston (vacationing at the Cape now) said he only had 1 tackle, but was making impacts all over the field, for what its worth.

Anyone get to see the game?

Chandler held is own tonight for sure. Forced Breese to throw the ball away early. Then caused two straight holding penalties on 3rd down to take a 3rd and 2 to 3 rd and 22 negating a 1st down pass. They focused on him a lot, not a ton of moves, but he fights hard and seems to be ale to find the ball quickly. He contained really well forcing a lot inside to other defenders. I was impressed. He gave a veteran eft tackle all he could handle.

Chan was great in minimal snaps. Also had a great tackle chasing Chase Daniel down from behind after Daniel snuck through the middle. His two holding penalties were potential sacks/TFL's as well. And he did it against a guy who's no slouch in Jermon Bushrod.

"I think he's going to be a good player in this league. It was a battle out there," said Bushrod, now in his sixth NFL season. "I think he has a bright future ahead of him. He definitely looks the part, a good physical specimen."

Also, Steve Gregory made his Pats debut, got an interception, and looked very good.

brinkley also found paydirt tonight

Some comparisons (heard on ESPN) had Chandler Jones and Jason Pierre-Paul in the same sentence.

I think the comparison is a fair one. they have similar build, although JPP is the stronger of the two. Chandler really did impress me, I have always been a fan, but was a bit skeptical going into it. The thing that got me is it wasn't necessarily a speed factor, but he was just getting into Bushrod and pushing him back and then breaking. If you watched the game early on you would have felt like you were in another dimension. Syracuse mentions throughout the first half, it was nice to hear.

I personally don't see as much similarity between Jones and JPP as others. While I think Chan is going to be good, I think JPP is just an athletic freak. In that regard,I don't think it's that close.

sometimes guys can excel in the NFL when they aren't being double teamed on every play

From the NFL.com recap:

Patriots rookie pass rusher Chandler Jones made Saints Pro Bowl pick
Jermon Bushrod
look like a D-II prospect. Jones's big game didn't show up in the box score, but he forced two holdings, and pressures, and probably got all of New England very excited.

sometimes guys can excel in the NFL when they aren't being double teamed on every play

That made me laugh thinking of WVU trying to block him with one guy last year.

Just like big brother Art. What he did on the defensive line didn't show up in the box score but he was HUGE for us taking up 2 or 3 blockers every play.

That made me laugh thinking of WVU trying to block him with one guy last year.

Just like big brother Art. What he did on the defensive line didn't show up in the box score but he was HUGE for us taking up 2 or 3 blockers every play.

Except for the Notre Dame game, where he certainly showed up in the box score.

Most dominating performance I've seen from an SU player. Doug Hogue vs. Rutgers is a close second.

I know you're younger, so sucks you missed Freeney vs. Vick.
I was at the game where Dwight sacked Vick 4.5 times in 01. That was the "true" start to my . Glorious.

I was at the game where Dwight sacked Vick 4.5 times in 01. That was the "true" start to my . Glorious.
I have never heard the Dome so loud, which is pretty amazing considering we lost that game.

Freeney was the true meaning of 'dominant' in that game. His performance was unreal!

Exactly. Every time I was in the Dome watching a pass play, Chan was doubled. Sometimes he still got through.

I know you're younger, so sucks you missed Freeney vs. Vick.
And his whole senior year, where he just ran around the double team every play to create havoc in the backfield.

I believe that was the game he hurt his spleen.
Yeah it was. I think he missed the whole second half, and he still sacked Vick four times. That was back when I lived in the area and had season tickets. The Dome was loud that day.