Change the Offensive Lineup | Syracusefan.com

Change the Offensive Lineup

pokercuse08

2nd String
The offense runs better when it doesn't run through Judah, but given our lack of depth and his talent level, we have no chance making him come off the bench. So, change it up.

1 - Copeland
2 - Starling
3 - Mintz
4 - Bell
5 - Brown

First, the ball will move more. Second, we're going to get a better matchup one way or another. Either they put their best defensive guard on Mintz, and he's off the ball a lot and a weaker defender is guarding Q as he runs pick and rolls with Brown, or they put their best defensive guard on Copeland and Mintz should have a favorable matchup.

The general concept on offense would be to run pick and rolls with Q and Maliq, and Maliq makes a quick decision to either take it to the bucket or swing it out to Bell. If neither option is there, he can swing it out to Starling to reset, maybe try again, maybe run a pick and pop screen for Bell. If they get down to ~10 on the shot clock and nothing is working, get it to Mintz and let him do what he does.

If Mintz is drawing a great mismatch, you can just feed him until the opponent adjusts.

Then let Taylor, Hima, and Cuffe come in at once like a line change for 2-3 minutes. Leave Mintz on the floor and let him run the offense through himself and let Taylor and Hima crash the glass. Since nobody else is useful for much, maybe run some double screens for Mintz off Taylor and Hima, and they roll off the screen but just to crash the glass. Cuffe's role is to go rescue Mintz if he gets trapped. Whoever else is out there can almost get a breather on the floor on offense.

Cuffe and Hima should be coached to play very aggressive defense if the opponent isn't in the bonus, so that 2-3 minutes of game time take more real time.

This also may encourage Mintz to play a little more team-friendly ball when he's running point, if he prefers point to playing off the ball. Red can't bench him to send that message, but he can certainly move him off the ball. I think this gives us the best chance to win AND the best chance to improve Mintz's style of play.

Your starters are Red's finishers. If Red wants to start Taylor and bring Cope in as a spark - fine, its the minutes that i bitch about. No excuse for Cope to get less than 35 most games.

No disrespect, but your line change idea.......come on - no O with Taylor, Hima, and Cuffe out there together.

Your starters are Red's finishers. If Red wants to start Taylor and bring Cope in as a spark - fine, its the minutes that i bitch about. No excuse for Cope to get less than 35 most games.

No disrespect, but your line change idea....come on - no O with Taylor, Hima, and Cuffe out there together.
Well the key is moving Judah off the ball, not just the five guys on the floor. Red did take Judah off the ball at the end this time.

The line change idea is basically saying we can have more offense in the other 34-36 minutes if we just cluster all the subs at once, and if Judah can make some plays and score, great.

Not sure any team has ever tried it, but with this particular group, no depth, and not a lot of lineup rotations that work, I think it could be the best strategy.

No disrespect, but your line change idea....come on - no O with Taylor, Hima, and Cuffe out there together.
Copeland is prone to picking up quick fouls. If he were to start with the idea of playing most of the game, he would have to dial it back considerably. I'm not sure that's in the cards for him, or whether it would even be in the best interest of the team. I like him coming off the bench after six or seven minutes to change up the look, and frankly, he's the only guy who can play that role effectively with what Red has left. Taylor, Cuffe, Hima or Carey are just unlikely to provide an early spark.

We scored 87 points. Offense was not the problem, rather it was the 83 points we gave up.
The offense was a huge problem in the second half.

I like Cope coming off the bench as a sparkplug. I don't really care what they do this year, I'm mostly hoping Red gets Cope to buy into a 6th man role next year so he can get a stud PG from the portal who can shoot to start. I really don't want that to chase Cope out though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom