Changing expectations | Syracusefan.com

Changing expectations

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
Noted preseason that I really didn't have a good feel what to expect from this team. Least returning contributions of any of JBs previous squads, uncertainty over DC and the general lack of depth left only JB's coaching ability in the known pros column. Going in I thought we had a better than average shot at a Sweet 16 and would position JB nicely to get to 1000 Ws by the end of next year.

With the early struggles of KJ and CMc and 4 non-conference losses - particularly with the less than stellar performance of Michigan and Cal since those losses - I began to seriously question whether our 44 winning season in a row streak might be in some jeopardy (magic number for that milestone sits at 5, btw).

Subsequent winning streak and signs of life on the road - particularly in the Nova loss - have swung the pendulum back a bit and I was starting to get comfortable that we would at least make the big dance but be a long shot to move beyond the first weekend.

Now with the potential lost of McC and the news that DC is not an option to contribute looks like I'll have to reset again.

How about it, board? At the halfway point what are your expectations for the balance of 2015?

There is some hope still, that Nova game despite being a loss made me realize what might be possible, but I think it would serve me better emotionally to keep my expectations tempered.
I agree with Briancuse, going over .500 in the ACC and getting into the tournament and a post season that finds Christmas getting into the NBA and I'd be ok.

This team reminds me of 03-04 or 04-05. We can get to the second weekend with a shot at the elite 8 or we could lose in the first round.

Hak, Gmac and Pace = Roc, Cooney, G.

Reminds me of 2008 or whenever we played with 6 guys

This season was never going to be a special one by our standards. I hope this team plays well enough down the stretch to get into the NCAA's and win a game. I really hope Rak gets All American/ most improved player honors and finds himself in the NBA. A great kid who sticks around doesn't happen anymore. CMAC needs to get healthy again because I think he can be a special piece next year on a special team.

i just want to see our name come up on selection sunday. thats been my only goal all year. if we're in we're capable of getting to 2nd weekend, so just get in.

Agree 100%. This is all we should hope for this year. a birth. This team was a just slightly better than a bubble team PRE McC injury, now its squarely on it. At best.

This season was never going to be a special one by our standards. I hope this team plays well enough down the stretch to get into the NCAA's and win a game. I really hope Rak gets All American/ most improved player honors and finds himself in the NBA. A great kid who sticks around doesn't happen anymore. CMAC needs to get healthy again because I think he can be a special piece next year on a special team.

I see us as pre-season top 15 next year, at worst. Maybe top 10 with Chris back.

Completely agree. Just hope we will be able to get into the Tournament. Far from a lock for that to happen. Rak deserves some accolades for sure and to be drafted. That Adrian Branch in the studio after the game was singing his praises. Just been a weird season. So much tentative play out there and guys who really don't or can't contribute yet. Too many collapses as well. So weird and often a difficult team to watch. Obviously Rak, Cooney, and occasionally Silent G have been invaluable. I hope they are still peaking.

On a given day, with Cooney and G making shots, Rak out of foul trouble, Roberson having at least a 70% game for him, limited turnovers, BJ off the bench with quality minutes, Patterson plays disciplined with some energy off the bench, and Obokoh comes in for the last 2 mins of the first half, this team can play with and beat anybody.

What they can do over (hopefully) 40 games and 4 in the ACC and 6-7 in the NCAAs? that I don't know.

It will be an entertaining ride, ups and downs. The right mindset could yield superior fan results. Good thread.

I think we have seen the last of BJ this season. He just isn't strong enough to compete against big boy ball yet.

SoBeCuse said:
I think we have seen the last of BJ this season. He just isn't strong enough to compete against big boy ball yet.
JB even mentioned him getting more time...

impossible. he has top play. If G or Roberson are in foul trouble either BJ plays or we go Hoosiers style.

"My team is on the court..."